Do You Or Your Partner Have Tattoos?

Do You or Your Partner Have Tattoos?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the tattoo is just black ink it can be removed completely with laser. Some colours can be a problem.

If she has olive skin, the laser will cause the pigmentation to change slightly to a whitish patch, but that is a small price to pay to permanently remove something she dislikes.

I've heard about the laser option but thought it would be very expensive, the watch does a pretty good job now. The tattoo is black ink and is something like 2x2 cm in size, any idea's about the price? Where in BKK? I'm a student so can't afford a lot. :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think about it......in fifty years time there's gonna be an awful lot of old ladies with sagging skin covered in tattoos. :D

Just think, in fifty years time there's gonna be an awful lot of old men with sagging skin covered in tattoos :o

My dad got tattoos when he was a young man in the airforce. Now that he's older they have faded and stretched. He went into a tattoo parlor to get them redone (since its been too long to laser off he thought "well, at least make them look good") and the man in the tattoo parlor refused to touch them. They were antiques!

My dad was not amused. :D

:D Oh, that's funny! Was the artist serious?

YES! My poor dad! :D

He had them done when he was about 17, in occupied Japan, bamboo needles and all. OUCH!!!!

I've heard about the laser option but thought it would be very expensive, the watch does a pretty good job now. The tattoo is black ink and is something like 2x2 cm in size, any idea's about the price? Where in BKK? I'm a student so can't afford a lot. :o

A small tattoo 2 X 2 cms would not require a lot of laser but it may need two or three visits before it is totally removed. It depends on how much in-fill the design has.

Costs in the West are generally between $200 and $800 per visit, but these prices are for a long sitting for large tattoos. Small and homemade tattoos can be charged as low as $50 - $100 per treatment. Students do receive a discount!

I can't help you with the costs in Thailand but I imagine they would be quite cheap. Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new watch every year. :D

Any laser clinic in Bangkok should be able to do the job for her. Walk in and get a quote first.

Just think about it......in fifty years time there's gonna be an awful lot of old ladies with sagging skin covered in tattoos. :D

Just think, in fifty years time there's gonna be an awful lot of old men with sagging skin covered in tattoos :o

My dad got tattoos when he was a young man in the airforce. Now that he's older they have faded and stretched. He went into a tattoo parlor to get them redone (since its been too long to laser off he thought "well, at least make them look good") and the man in the tattoo parlor refused to touch them. They were antiques!

He had them done when he was about 17, in occupied Japan, bamboo needles and all. OUCH!!!!

Oh WOW!! I would want it looking nice too! What a piece of history that is... :D ....not, to say anything negative about your father, but how cool is that!!! :D

Oh WOW!! I would want it looking nice too! What a piece of history that is... :D ....not, to say anything negative about your father, but how cool is that!!! :D

i have sat in the chair on 5 occassions now - whincing whilst the tattooist goes to work - and each time has a story and memory attached...

i think that many people that make the decission to be knowlingly marked for life have a reason and a story for doing so

i have sat in the chair on 5 occassions now - whincing whilst the tattooist goes to work - and each time has a story and memory attached...

i think that many people that make the decission to be knowlingly marked for life have a reason and a story for doing so

The only reason to get inked is because of a story. The works have to be apart of your life's blood.

The only reason to get inked is because of a story. The works have to be apart of your life's blood.

which is why i get the hump when some wise-ass comes out with "its common, tacky" or even better "i thought it was only sailors that got tattoos"

:D

QUOTE(rio666uk @ 2006-04-30 06:35:33)

which is why i get the hump when some wise-ass comes out with "its common, tacky" or even better "i thought it was only sailors that got tattoos"

................................................................................

During the late 50,s and early 60,s it was fashionable to have them IF you where a male.

Ladies at that time where looked on as bad People, to term it mildly.

It was common for the lady loves lady section to have them ( the masculine one. )

This is not a slight on them by the way as i,m happy to live and let live so long as it doesn,t harm anyone else.

It was also fashionable to have them on your hands and fingers.

Through experience and the various reactions to them i would offer one bit of advice.

Tatoo where you like so long as you can be discreet about them should you choose to do so.

I.E. if you can cover them by a long sleeve shirt or blouse and long trousers should the occasion warrant it.

When i was doing business and travelling, people ( especially Thai,s in the 90,s ) assumed i was an ex jail bird or criminal.

You could actually see them continually glancing at them and even asking why ?????????

Thinking the negative stuff and not because it was fashionable at the time of having them on.

I used to really get the hump with some of them too, i mean since when does having tatoos make you a bad person.

On business you have to be diplomatic to get anywhere or else your creditability goes out the window, so i,d grin and be polite and ignore the negative side of things.

In my humble opinion leave yourself with the choice of displaying them or covering them up should the occasion call for discretion.

I am not ashamed of mine and don,t care if it,s approved or not, but sometimes it,s easier to leave the areas on permanent display tatoo free. They are not c.v. friendly to a lot of narrow minded people i,m sorry to say.

Again in my humble opinion, please remember.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

he grew up believing that most people with tattoos got them in jail.

It's interesting that your husband believes that. I once asked a Thai teacher for his opinion on tattoos on Thai people and he told me that only criminals get them done! I was pretty suprised at his reaction - it was quite strong but I was sceptical about his answer since it has been a couple of decades since he has lived in Thailand, and also because I don't think he was mindful of religious tattoos either. Does anyone know any more about Thai perceptions of tattoos?

he grew up believing that most people with tattoos got them in jail.

It's interesting that your husband believes that. I once asked a Thai teacher for his opinion on tattoos on Thai people and he told me that only criminals get them done! I was pretty suprised at his reaction - it was quite strong but I was sceptical about his answer since it has been a couple of decades since he has lived in Thailand, and also because I don't think he was mindful of religious tattoos either. Does anyone know any more about Thai perceptions of tattoos?

The Thai reasoning on tatoos is mostly a class thing, in fact, certain classes in the U.K. think along similar lines, just to show i,m not bias.

ON my previous post just before yours " 39 " i mentioned my experience on business meetings relating to being assumed to be a criminal / undesirable and it still exists today.

You can visibly see a reaction and a change in attitude once they spot the tatoos.

I,d be having a good conversation relating to the business in a constructive way then you,d notice them glance at the tatoos whereby there attitude and demeanor would completely alter.

There is no one worse than a Thai who thinks they are important for showing superiority.

Similar in fact to the old civil service in the U.K., ( " snobbery " ) i used to work with.

Incidently i don,t like putting people in groups according to their wealth, power and social status ect.

It,s how you present yourself as a human being that is the only qualification, satang or no satang.

As i said in another thread on this, it,s who you are as a person that should determine your class and not the social status ect.

Thais of middle class and upwards that i come into contact with automatically think i am a criminal who has done time when they see them, especially the so called upper class ( PuYai )

Depending on the situation i will say i,m pleased you find my tatoos interesting, they where put on as a fashion statement when all young people had them put on years ago.

That,s why i would offer the bit of advice on hands and above the collar being no go areas as when it,s best to be discreet in certain circustances, no one can falsely judge you by them.

The guy in the photo ( is it you ) could be taken for a yob, criminal ect. depending on your attitude and if you have this social status hang up.

It,s whats inside that counts, everytime for me.

For me i,d judge them by their demeanor and attitude ( similar things i know ) to life as i know tatoos do not make the person or the persona.

If you like tatoos then you should be accepted for them and not discriminated against.

I am after all a working class hero and a terrible inverted snob when anyone tries to stuff class up my nose.

That,s my humble offering anyway. sorry if it sounds like a sermon as it isn,t.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I can only speak for the US and there people who get/have gotten tattoos are generally the blue collar working class. I never once knew anyone with a University education even considering getting a tattoo. This applies to females and males alike. Biz execs, successful folks and the like just dont even think about having a tattoo. I imagine the same is true of other western countries. As for the Thais, I believe that seeing Hollywood portray tattoos as being "cool" encourages them to have them. The actors who have them in movies have fake ones but the unsuspecting public does not know this. Marshbags made a great point about perceptions of biz people changing after noticing a tattoo. I imagine that job interviewees with tats (white collar) are going to have problems. I also can't figure out this concept of having tats only in places where they can be covered. You want the tat, put it smack on your face for all to see forever. Also, I am befuddled about tat removal and people who got tats while in drunken stupors and then regret. I sit here in bewilderment over all of this

I can only speak for the US and there people who get/have gotten tattoos are generally the blue collar working class. I never once knew anyone with a University education even considering getting a tattoo. This applies to females and males alike. Biz execs, successful folks and the like just dont even think about having a tattoo. I imagine the same is true of other western countries. As for the Thais, I believe that seeing Hollywood portray tattoos as being "cool" encourages them to have them. The actors who have them in movies have fake ones but the unsuspecting public does not know this. Marshbags made a great point about perceptions of biz people changing after noticing a tattoo. I imagine that job interviewees with tats (white collar) are going to have problems. I also can't figure out this concept of having tats only in places where they can be covered. You want the tat, put it smack on your face for all to see forever. Also, I am befuddled about tat removal and people who got tats while in drunken stupors and then regret. I sit here in bewilderment over all of this

many hollywood stars have permanant tats.They cover them up with make-up when filming movies etc.

I think that our age says more about how tattoos are either trendy or horrible.pick up some of the young peoples magazines these days and you will find tatts throughout on both male and female.

Many elder Thai males have religious tattoos. As one of the long term expats here said a while ago about tats on older Thais "The more the tattoo the bigger the superstition" There are plenty of Monks about covered in tats. :o

I know many uni educated business professionals who have tats. The difference is they don't have heaps of them and what they do have are easily coverable. Last I checked when you are on a job interview - they don't ask you to be in the buff nor is their a question on the application - do you have tats.

Tats are fine as long as they are coverable and not excessive. :o

I know many uni educated business professionals who have tats. The difference is they don't have heaps of them and what they do have are easily coverable. Last I checked when you are on a job interview - they don't ask you to be in the buff nor is their a question on the application - do you have tats.

Tats are fine as long as they are coverable and not excessive. :o

I would say nowadays even women who have a little tat on their ankle or wrist have no problems within the white collar world of America.

Tats are just a form of decorating the body. People seem to have a natural instinct to cover up their naked bodies, it's either clothes, piercings, tats or whatever. People have done this for thousands of years and probably will do it for another thousands of years. It's only cultural acceptance that's always late in following as mostly the younger people will start with a new form of body art and as soon as they grow up & rule the world it's accepted. Then their kiddies start something unacceptable to horrify them instead. Isn't the cycle of life wonderful.

:o

I always liked tats...wanted to get a big one on my back like a landscape. The wife don't mind...lots of men folk in the family have tats. But...I shall never get a tat...I don't think that I shall ever shake the middle class revulsion of tats and what they represent to respectable people...

If my stepdaughter ever got a tat I would disown her...probably...

I have one, she doesnt - got mine done years ago but never regretted it, quite fancy another, though dont have them on arms etc due to job.

I do like women with Tattoos though in the right places.....

Thai girls can pull off tats that would look ridiculous on western girls IMO.

I do like women with Tattoos though in the right places.....

Agreed.

Decent tats around the small of the back and the stomach on a good-looking girl makes my knees shake!!

:o

Edited by game4shame

I am getting the feeling that the vast majority of males are turned off by tattoos on females based on this survey (77% of female partners have no tattoos) and comments as well. In addition, I pulled this quote from stickman weekly most recent column.

"Compliments go out to whoever is hiring the dancers at Carousel A Gogo In Pattaya. Flat stomachs, no stretch marks, almost no tattoos and amazingly, quite a few smiles. They may not be the prettiest bunch - although they are close - but finding a fitter bunch of dancers in Pattaya would be a challenge, a fun challenge it must be said!"

It's pretty clear that few males find tattoos on females attractive, in fact it is quite the contrary. So I ask this, why on earth do so many girls (thai and farang) in Thailand have them? Do they not know that they are a turn off to most guys? Guys with tatts don't even want to see them on girls. Frankly I am flabbergasted. Can they all be that ignorant?

I am getting the feeling that the vast majority of males are turned off by tattoos on females based on this survey (77% of female partners have no tattoos).

It's pretty clear that few males find tattoos on females attractive, in fact it is quite the contrary.

:o but the poll only asked if we had tattoos, not if we found them attractive. :D

eg I don't have a tat and I'll probably never get one but I still think they look good.

:D

I have two on my underarms

I got them when I was young and never really regretted them other than for my job(s)

I always had/have top level management jobs and so I always needed to waer long sleeved

shirts even here in Bangkok where I would prefer short sleeved (all my life)......just to be on the safe side....kind of ridiculous but I thought I needed to

Sometimes on party's I wore a polo and you should have seen some of the looks of my 'fellow' managers. Even on company sports day were we played football some of the guys were hockey players....man they are a different kind of breed....and the looks

Getting rid of them is easy...but i cannot find a good reason

The wife doesn't have any althoug I would like to see one on her ass that lights up in the dark... :o

J