Work permit rules and maintenance

Good morning/ afternoon people,

I will be getting my first work permit soon and want to know what conditions and rules there are to having one.

The company I am going to work for hasn't given much detail other than they pay the coats and I am responsible for maintaining the work permit.

So I would like to know,

- how long can I stay in the country?

- do I have to report every set number of days?

- can I exit and return on the same visa? Are there any associated issues with this? (Perhaps a weekend in Singapore for example)

- when the contract is finished do I have to leave the country that day? Could I have a holiday?

I'm a uk passport holder in my thirties.

Thanks for reading.

Your work permit and visa/permit to stay are completely different things. Once you have your work permit there is nothing you need to do for a year to keep it valid.

What kind of visa do you have now? Is it valid for a year or only 3 months? What is your current permitted to stay date?

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe,

I am not yet in Thailand and have not got a visa. I'm still waiting for a start date. Before I have only even used tourist visas or had a visa on arrival lasting a month. Obviously this wasn't for the purpose for work as it will be now.

I must admit I became a little lost when looking. I think I'll need a non Immigrant visa but what type? Which one will allow me mufti entry?

You will need a single entry non immigrant B visa if your employer can supply with the proper paperwork before you travel. If not you should get a single entry tourist visa and apply for the work permit after you get here. After you apply for the work permit and have the proper documents you would then leave to get a B visa. Then once you have the work permit you would apply for an extension of stay. If you wanted to travel you would then get a re-entry permit either a single for 1000 baht or multiple for 3800 baht.

• Like 1

Foreigners who work in Thailand need to obtain a work permit. With the recent growing influx of foreigners, Thai authorities have become more vigilant and foreigners have been fined, arrested and deported for non-compliance with the work permit regulations.

Before you apply a work permit, you must enter the country with a non-immigrant class B visa. When applying this visa at a Thai Embassy abroad, you will need an invitation letter from your new Thai employer.

In order to apply for a work permit at the Labor Department, the company must have at least 2 million THB in paid capital, this is reduced to 1 million THB if the employee is married to a Thai. The company must hire at least 4 Thai employees per work permit, authorities maybe a bit lenient on this requirement when you set up a new company. Often authorities will do a check to verify the actual situation at your workplace.

To apply for your work permit you will need to submit following documents: application form, your passport with valid visa, departure card TM 6, copy of education certificate, resume, 3 pictures, medical certificate from a local doctor, address in Thailand.

Your employer will need to submit copies of following documents: the company registration certificate, list of shareholders, VAT certificate & VAT returns of the latest 3 months, annual financial statement and tax declaration, details of the employees and proof of payment of salary & social fund fees, employment agreement, map with directions of the company office, a letter stating the necessity to hire a foreigner instead of a Thai.

There is a minimum wage requirement depending on the applicant’s nationality: for first world countries, the minimum wage required is THB 50.000 per month, for most Asian and Latin American countries it stands at THB 35.000 per month. Your company could actually pay you less, but you will at least need to pay income tax and social security on these amounts.

The Labor Department will evaluate each application case by case and may issue a work permit regardless of above requirements, for instance for foreigners residing in Thailand and married with a Thai, hi-tech consultants, temporary employment, export support & promotion,…

In general the application is processed in 1 week time. The work permit allows a long term visa, with an obligation to report to Immigration every 90 days of stay. If you want to leave the country, you will need to obtain a re-entry permit before you depart. Foreigners can only perform the particular job for the particular employer at the particular office location which are detailed in the work permit. Any change will require a new work permit.

After your work permit is approved, your employer needs to apply for your tax identification card.

this is what I read at http://www.winvasia.com/work-permit-in-thailand/#.UmFCWlL0nEk

Foreigners who work in Thailand need to obtain a work permit. With the recent growing influx of foreigners, Thai authorities have become more vigilant and foreigners have been fined, arrested and deported for non-compliance with the work permit regulations.

Before you apply a work permit, you must enter the country with a non-immigrant class B visa. When applying this visa at a Thai Embassy abroad, you will need an invitation letter from your new Thai employer.

In order to apply for a work permit at the Labor Department, the company must have at least 2 million THB in paid capital, this is reduced to 1 million THB if the employee is married to a Thai. The company must hire at least 4 Thai employees per work permit, authorities maybe a bit lenient on this requirement when you set up a new company. Often authorities will do a check to verify the actual situation at your workplace.

To apply for your work permit you will need to submit following documents: application form, your passport with valid visa, departure card TM 6, copy of education certificate, resume, 3 pictures, medical certificate from a local doctor, address in Thailand.

Your employer will need to submit copies of following documents: the company registration certificate, list of shareholders, VAT certificate & VAT returns of the latest 3 months, annual financial statement and tax declaration, details of the employees and proof of payment of salary & social fund fees, employment agreement, map with directions of the company office, a letter stating the necessity to hire a foreigner instead of a Thai.

There is a minimum wage requirement depending on the applicant’s nationality: for first world countries, the minimum wage required is THB 50.000 per month, for most Asian and Latin American countries it stands at THB 35.000 per month. Your company could actually pay you less, but you will at least need to pay income tax and social security on these amounts.

The Labor Department will evaluate each application case by case and may issue a work permit regardless of above requirements, for instance for foreigners residing in Thailand and married with a Thai, hi-tech consultants, temporary employment, export support & promotion,…

In general the application is processed in 1 week time. The work permit allows a long term visa, with an obligation to report to Immigration every 90 days of stay. If you want to leave the country, you will need to obtain a re-entry permit before you depart. Foreigners can only perform the particular job for the particular employer at the particular office location which are detailed in the work permit. Any change will require a new work permit.

After your work permit is approved, your employer needs to apply for your tax identification card.

You don't need a non 'B' visa to apply for a WP.

Your employer/you can apply for a Work Permit irrespective of your visa status (application can be made by your new employer even before you enter Thailand).

However a non 'b' visa/90 day non 'B' entry stamp in your passport is required for the WP to be actually issued.

Thai MFA ist of required papers for a non immigrant 'B' visa is in the link below, which includes the required WP3 receipt (A5 sized slip of paper) or Letter of Acceptance from Labour:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

The nationality specific miminum wage is an immigration requirement for extension of permission to stay, there is no minimum wage requirement for a WP per se.

WP applications can take much longer than one week if there is a back log at the particular labour dept where you apply.

If you change job/office with the same employer then your WP can be ammended by Labour, there is no need to apply for a new WP.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Again, thanks for the details.

I've looked for Immigration offices. I understand Bangkok is one. Is this the nearest to chon buri?

There are 2 immigrations office in Chon Buri province. One in Siracha and the other in Jomtien. You would apply for the work permit at the work permit office Chon Buri also.
  • Like 1