Thai divers, workers join Laos recovery operations: Plane crash

webfact

LAO CRASH
Thai divers, workers join Laos recovery operations

THE NATION, AGENCIES

30217399-01_big.jpg

Fourteen bodies found so far but many believed to be trapped in the wreckage

BANGKOK: -- Thailand yesterday dispatched divers and rescue workers to help Laotian authorities retrieve the bodies of 49 people killed in Wednesday's plane crash near Laos' southern city of Pakse.

The Royal Thai Navy sent a 14-strong team, including nine divers, to help with retrieving the bodies and recovering the plane's wreckage from the Mekong River, according to Navy spokesman Rear Admiral Karn Dee-ubon.

Six rescue foundations from four northeastern provinces - Ubon Ratchathani, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Nakhon Ratchasima - have also sent some 100 rescue workers and equipment, such as ambulances and trucks equipped with spotlights, according to Suttinan Boonmee, caretaker governor of Ubon Ratchathani, which borders Laos.

He said Laotian authorities had sought Thai assistance with an underwater search operation. Laotian authorities yesterday allowed a 65-member rescue team, including divers from Thailand, to help in the search for bodies.

"So far we have found 14 bodies, but we haven't identified them yet," Suttinan told Radio Thailand. Some bodies were found as far as 20 kilometres from the crash site.

Most of the remaining bodies were believed to be trapped inside the aircraft, which divers were having trouble entering because of the turbulent waters and strong currents in the Mekong River, he said.

Public health authorities in Ubon Ratchathani also gave the Laotian authorities 50 coffins and 50 plastic body cases for the crash victims, according to Prasop Sansamak, deputy public health chief of the northeastern province.

Thai police have dispatched a team of officials from the Forensic Science Office to help with identification of the crash victims, Royal Thai Police spokesman Maj-General Piya Uthayo said. The team included three officers of the rank of general who would help with DNA testing and fingerprint examination.

All 49 people on board Lao Airlines flight QV301 - 44 passengers, including five Thai nationals, and five crew members - were presumed dead in the crash, according to a statement released by the airline.

The doomed ATR-72 had flown from Vientiane and was approaching Pakse Airport when it came down in stormy weather, sinking to the bottom of the Mekong's swollen waters. French-Italian aircraft manufacturer ATR said the twin-engine turboprop plane was new and was delivered in March.

According to a passenger list from the airline, aboard were 16 Laotians, seven French travellers, six Australians, five Thais, three South Koreans, two Vietnamese, and one national each from the United States, Canada, Malaysia, China and Taiwan. Australia said a family of four was among its nationals feared dead.

In Pakse, workers battled hazardous conditions in the search for bodies. As they scoured the river for the submerged plane, a crane perched on a floating platform in the Mekong was on standby to try to winch up the aircraft.

About 10 boats of varying sizes plied the fast-flowing waters, and divers from a Thai rescue team were on the scene to assist.

"It’s difficult to dive because there is a strong current. So I think it's 50/50 that we will find something," said Thai rescue diver Aniwat Plaeng-ngaan, 20.

Crowds of local people, monks and security personnel watched from the banks of the Mekong. Some recounted seeing the plane in trouble before it came down. "I heard a 'boom!' - a sound like a bomb going off. There was smoke and flames before it crashed," said local village chief Buasorn Kornthong, 37.

Some debris was seen floating along the river and suitcases were wedged in mud on the riverbank.

Lao Airlines said the aircraft hit "extreme" weather, while witnesses described seeing the aircraft buffeted by strong winds.

"The plane was about to land but appeared to be hit by a strong wind, causing its [nose] to ascend and pushing it away from the airport area and out of reach of the air traffic control radar," state-run Laotian news agency KPL quoted a witness as saying.

Meanwhile, France will send investigators to Laos to aid the investigation into the plane crash, which is the worst fatal air accident this year, Bloomberg reported. The ATR 72-600 turboprop plane is made by Avions de Transport Regional, a venture owned by Airbus SAS parent European Aeronautic, Space and Defense Co and Italy's Finmeccanica SpA.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-18

"It’s difficult to dive because there is a strong current. So I think it's 50/50 that we will find something," said Thai rescue diver Aniwat Plaeng-ngaan, 20.

They can't find the plane? Nobody in a whole of Thailand got a radar do find the location of a sunk plane?!?!?

They can't find the plane? Nobody in a whole of Thailand got a radar do find the location of a sunk plane?!?!?

I blame it on the notorious flip-flop triangle.

17 bodies found at Lao air crash site; search continues for 35 others
By English News

13820599995226.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI, Oct 18 – Rescuers recovered 17 bodies from Wednesday's Lao air crash in the Mekong River in southern Laos as the search for the remaining 35 passengers and crew is continuing today.

The Lao Airlines ATR-72 turboprop plane, carrying 49 people from the capital Vientiane, crashed eight kilometres short of its destination at Pakse airport in the southern Lao province of Champasak.

A preliminary report said the aircraft could have hit a tree before plunging into the river. Officials ruled out the possibility of survivors.

Forty-four passengers on board the flight included 17 Lao, seven French, five Australians, five Italians, five Thais, three South Koreans, two Vietnamese, and one each from the US, China, Taiwan, Canada and Malaysia.

Thai police spokesman Piya Uthayo said Thailand has offered to help Lao authorities identify the bodies.

A Lao aviation official said typhoon Nari could have been a factor in the plane crash but an official statement on the cause of the crash has yet to be released. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-18

hang on, there were 49 passengers, they have found 17, but are looking for 35 more?

could be a long search for the 3 missing, missing persons. No levity on the seriousness of the event, but let's hope someone in the rescue team can do the math.

• Like 1

Identity verifications of crash victims continues
By English News

13820700726518.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI, Oct 18 – Lao and Thai officials today continued verifying identities of air crash victims as the search for more bodies in the Mekong River continued.

Thai officials said 17 bodies out of 49 passengers and crew on the Lao Airlines ATR-72 turboprop plane were recovered so far.

Thai National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew will lead a Thai delegation to Pakse district in southern Laos to assist in the identity verifications and other necessary missions.

The Royal Thai Air Force has assigned officials to help salvage the severely-damaged aircraft at the request of the Lao PDR government.

Lao Public Works and Transport Minister Sommad Pholsena was assured by the Thai government of full cooperation and assistance including boats and divers to search for more victims and other technical cooperation.

The Lao Airlines airliner went down Wednesday while en route from the capital of Vientiane to the Pakse airport in the southern Lao province of Champasak.(MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-18

Hope the Thai divers aren't pilfering items from any bodies or baggage they find. Remember Lauda Air?

The divers risk their life to go there and i doubt they take that risk in the hope to steal something valuable.

Ambulance crews do it. Fire brigade does it. Why won't the divers do it?

Perhaps sonar then?

• Like 1

I read that he Mekong is in flood, so the wreckage could conceivably be hundreds of meters downstream from the impact point. It will take time to find. A body was fond 20 Kms downstream!!

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

I read that he Mekong is in flood, so the wreckage could conceivably be hundreds of meters downstream from the impact point. It will take time to find. A body was fond 20 Kms downstream!!

That's why I thought about the sonar (not radar, thx apalink_thailand for correction). It will be much easier to find a plane from a boat equipped with a sonar. I'm a diver myself and I know how it is to be in a strong current, on top of everything else that water is zero visibility so they are going in blind - waste of energy and resources.

• Like 1

Hope the Thai divers aren't pilfering items from any bodies or baggage they find. Remember Lauda Air?

The divers risk their life to go there and i doubt they take that risk in the hope to steal something valuable.

Ambulance crews do it. Fire brigade does it. Why won't the divers do it?

Because, unlike ambulance crews and fire brigades, divers operate under water, and there is a very strong current, especially this time of year.

And what makes you think Thai or Lao rescue teams are more likely to steal found items than say French or English teams in a similar situation? It could very well be the opposite!

Also, it is clear from the pictures & video's posted so far that items such as bags have been found and most likely stored for identity verification and will be given back to the family of the deceased. The scene you may be imagining, where Lao / Thai rescue teams, police and military get together and go through dead people's stuff to take soaked dollar bills and drenched iphones/laptops, and then agree on how to share the proceeds, is very unlikely in my eyes and for a whole bunch of valid reasons linked to this exceptional event.

If you ever go to Ubon in the next couple of weeks, and see a 1.000 baht bill laying on the ground, what would you do? There are probably hundreds of bills which fell from the sky or were blown by the wind, spread across a huge area. Would you simply leave it there, take it to the police (555!) or pick it up and buy yourself a steak with lauded money?

**** Foreign language edited out ****

Edited by metisdead
This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.
  • Like 1

Nottacus... If that is all you can say then you should SAY NOTHING. This shows what's you are.., itis never too late to change.

I commend the Thais, and their instant selfless response.

Imagine the grief of having to deal with such a terrible tragedy.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Nottacus... If that is all you can say then you should SAY NOTHING. This shows what's you are.., itis never too late to change.

Yes, never too late...

There are currently Lao and Thai people writing songs and posting them on the internet as a direct response to the grief and to wish the deceased good luck in their next life. I've rarely seen so many postings / online activity, especially in regards to the loss of foreigners.

Owk Phansaa / Loi Kratong is on Saturday, there might very well be more and bigger floating rafts on the mekong as a result of extra effort and money spent to pay respect to all the victims (about half foreigners). Maybe something to check out and verify first hand what the true nature of most Lao and Thai people really is?

Yes, never too late...

There are currently Lao and Thai people writing songs and posting them on the internet as a direct response to the grief and to wish the deceased good luck in their next life. I've rarely seen so many postings / online activity, especially in regards to the loss of foreigners.

Owk Phansaa / Loi Kratong is on Saturday, there might very well be more and bigger floating rafts on the mekong as a result of extra effort and money spent to pay respect to all the victims (about half foreigners). Maybe something to check out and verify first hand what the true nature of most Lao and Thai people really is?

agree with you but one side note: Wan Owk Phansaa isn't the same as Loi Kratong which is next month full moon.

A terrible tragedy for the passengers and crew. I hope the families will be properly cared for and informed correctly.

Which is more than the Asian press managed could do.

In two day the press got everything wrong. Here is a couple examples as given in various press reports. The operator was the Royal Lao Air force and/or Lao Airways. Some gave both a French plane and an American McDonald Douglas aircraft in the press after this accident. In the past two days the fatal flight had military passengers, civilian passengers and passengers of a secret mission and that their ID's were not to be displayed. The first photo of the accident showed an aircraft happily sitting in shallow water in full view with hardly a mark n the fuselage? Further the press stated that there were were few fatalities and that the pilot must be a hero. Another articled name several different countries as the origins of the passengers, all wrong!

I won't go on you have the picture already. And no I'm not going to list the errant press reports that I read. It wouldn't be fair that were all wrong.

A terrible tragedy for the passengers and crew. I hope the families will be properly cared for and informed correctly.

Which is more than the Asian press managed.

In two days the press got everything wrong. Here is a couple examples as given in various press reports. The operator was the Royal Lao Air force and/or Lao Airways. Some described both a French plane and an American McDonald Douglas aircraft in the press after this accident. In the past two days the fatal flight had military passengers, civilian passengers and passengers of a secret mission and that their ID's were not to be displayed. The first photo of the accident showed an aircraft happily sitting in shallow water in full view with hardly a mark n the fuselage? Further the press stated that there were were few fatalities and that the pilot must be a hero. Another article named several different countries as the origin(s) of the passengers, all wrong!

I won't go on you have the picture already. And no I'm not going to list the errant press reports that I read. It wouldn't be fair. they were all wrong.

Edited by indyuk

Yes, never too late...

Firsthand: either friendly, or xenophobic. Extremely common characteristic in Tland...Deceitful. honesty is not one of their virtues. I've met Thais who even admit that.

I was here when that plane went down over Suphanburi and you should have seen the pictures shown on the front page of the newspapers...... sickening.

Very proudly I remember a laughing boy of 10, 12 years of age showing off his hand proudly featuring rings which he had taken off victims. It was the first time ever I saw something like with lacking complete respect. Many relatives of survivors could recognize those items with sentimental value only and here is little Somsak proudly presenting his "harvest".

Never forgot this picture and trust me; some, if not an increasing number of people believe, that "steal while the stealing is good" is an acceptable business.

Robbing a bank or an insurance is not right but despoil dead bodies is as low as humanity can go!