Rear shocks for Lifan 250-B Cruiser and other advice

connda

My rear shocks on my Lifan 250-B cruiser need to be replaced. The housings for the rear shocks are adjustable, but I'm already at the 'stiffest' setting and I occasionally 'bottom out' on bumps and depressions in the road that are not that deep. I'm average weight for a Westerner (about 85 kilos).

I will not go to my local Lifan dealer (been there, done that, and not happy with the service, and don't want to go back again if I can help it), so putting OEM replacements on the bike is at the bottom of my 'want to do' list. So I need recommendations for make/model of shocks that would fit my bike. I have a Thai mechanic who has been working on my bike and has fix the problems I was having, however when I asked him to replace the shocks he wanted me to go with him to select a shock from a shop that deals in motorcycle parts. I figured that was a like asking a blind man to go to the paint store to pick out the color of paint for his house. I wouldn't have a clue what to buy. Any recommendations?

Also, the valve stem on the rear tire is extremely difficult to access. It's sandwiched between the spokes and sometimes I find it impossible to get a air hose connected to the valve. I've been putting off buying a portable pump (which I really need for on-road tire repair) because most of the pumps I found have valve connectors that are larger that will probably fit securely. There's nothing like deflating your tire while trying, unsuccessfully, to get the pump connected to the tire's valve stem (I don't want the happening in the middle of nowhere). Any suggestion on what to do in this instance.

Thanks!

He Canuckamuck,

In the sector of independent dealers, you would be surprised how many owners from ny brand are scored a below average for the dealer after buying a budget model. This incluses people who bought Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and other respectable dealers....

It seems that most people of small displacement motorcycles (less than 250cc) in Thailand dislike the original dealers they bought it....

This was one of the main reasons why Honda Thailand launched big bikes through a seperatated outlet they fully francince (control).

Edited by Richard-BKK

He Canuckamuck,

In the sector of independent dealers, you would be surprised how many owners from ny brand are scored a below average for the dealer after buying a budget model. This incluses people who bought Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and other respectable dealers....

It seems that most people of small displacement motorcycles (less than 250cc) in Thailand dislike the original dealers they bought it....

This was one of the main reasons why Honda Thailand launched big bikes through a seperatated outlet they fully francince (control).

Interesting. I have a Honda Dream 125 also. I bought it in Korat, and the dealer provided some of the best customer service I've experienced in or outside of Thailand.

And having moved back to Northern Thailand, I've found the Honda service centers to generally be above average. It usually has a lot to do with the service manager, plus Honda has a reputation to maintain, But Lifan??? Hummm.

Like Canuckamuck said, I do like the bike. Smooth, comfortable ride for a relatively small displacement motorcycle. I like it better than the Honda Phantom or Kawasaki Boss. Great gas mileage and enough power for any roads I'm driving here in Thailand (it would be a little too small in the US or Canada). But the quality of service??? Ouch! sad.png

He Canuckamuck,

Interesting. I have a Honda Dream 125 also. I bought it in Korat, and the dealer provided some of the best customer service I've experienced in or outside of Thailand.

And having moved back to Northern Thailand, I've found the Honda service centers to generally be above average. It usually has a lot to do with the service manager, plus Honda has a reputation to maintain, But Lifan??? Hummm.

Like Canuckamuck said, I do like the bike. Smooth, comfortable ride for a relatively small displacement motorcycle. I like it better than the Honda Phantom or Kawasaki Boss. Great gas mileage and enough power for any roads I'm driving here in Thailand (it would be a little too small in the US or Canada). But the quality of service??? Ouch! sad.png

Bought from a dedicated, official Honda dealer or as I said a independent motorcycle dealer? Even for official dealer Honda, and all other major brand do not score above average for customer satisfaction.

Edited by Richard-BKK

• 4 weeks later...

This has been an exercise in futility. The local bike shops stock shocks for small bikes and scooter (say that 5 times really fast).

Haven't been able to find anything comparable to the shocks on the Lifan (I've gone store to store with my Thai wife and a Lifan shock in hand). Finally stopped at Lifan, and they basically said that new OEM shocks aren't going to be any better that what is currently on the bike. So now putting the old shocks back on and just accepting that this is going to be part of the Lifan 250-B Cruiser experience.

Just a 'heads up' for anyone thinking of buying one. Spongy shocks are just part of the ride.

If anyone has successfully changed the rear shocks on a Lifan 250-B to a non-OEM shock, please let me know the manufactures name and part number that you changed to (and where you bought them). If I had that info, at least I could order a set from somewhere. Thanks!

another sad story indeed coming from chinese bikes.

Did you try to measure he shocks and looked for a replacement accordingly?

Most probably, you can fit one of the YSS shocks to your Lifan.

Try some scooter shops, maybe they can fit one for you as well.

good luck.

good luck.

As the Lifan LF250-B is a global model and parts are 100% compatible with the Yamaha Virago 250/V-Star 250. YSS has three different shocks for the Lifan LF250-B known as the RZ302-TR, RE302-T or the RD222-P. I'm pretty sure that a YSS dealer can explain the difference much better than I ever could.

If you a bit more adventures you can find much more rear shock options, searching ebay for shocks for the Yamaha Virago 250 or Yamaha V-Star 250. A friend bought a nice set of rear shocks the last time he was in Malaysia...

If you are a bit more technical person you can also jump to try to refurbish the standard Lifan shocks, with a bit of simple tools they're easily rebuild. Still heavier oil will probably only work for a few months. Specially made heaver springs will probably cost as much as a new set of rear shocks...

This is absolutely not a sad story for Chinese motorcycles, actually every self respectable shock manufacturer in the work makes shocks for this motorcycle. Can not say that for all the motorcycles in Thailand with a Japanese name badge... Try a American brand shock manufacturer and say Honda Phantom TA200... or do the same in South-Africa or in any European country. I bet you will see a face that would really make you sad...

----------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. before anybody starts saying that the Lifan LF250-B or the LF400 is a copy of the Virago models, Lifan bought several designs and factories (including a Yamaha factory in Japan, where they made the Virago. When Yamaha moved the model to the USA and called it the V-Star.)

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

good luck.

As the Lifan LF250-B is a global model and parts are 100% compatible with the Yamaha Virago 250/V-Star 250. YSS has three different shocks for the Lifan LF250-B known as the RZ302-TR, RE302-T or the RD222-P. I'm pretty sure that a YSS dealer can explain the difference much better than I ever could.

If you a bit more adventures you can find much more rear shock options, searching ebay for shocks for the Yamaha Virago 250 or Yamaha V-Star 250. A friend bought a nice set of rear shocks the last time he was in Malaysia...

If you are a bit more technical person you can also jump to try to refurbish the standard Lifan shocks, with a bit of simple tools they're easily rebuild. Still heavier oil will probably only work for a few months. Specially made heaver springs will probably cost as much as a new set of rear shocks...

This is absolutely not a sad story for Chinese motorcycles, actually every self respectable shock manufacturer in the work makes shocks for this motorcycle. Can not say that for all the motorcycles in Thailand with a Japanese name badge... Try a American brand shock manufacturer and say Honda Phantom TA200... or do the same in South-Africa or in any European country. I bet you will see a face that would really make you sad...

----------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. before anybody starts saying that the Lifan LF250-B or the LF400 is a copy of the Virago models, Lifan bought several designs and factories (including a Yamaha factory in Japan, where they made the Virago. When Yamaha moved the model to the USA and called it the V-Star.)

Thanks Richard. Good info.

IIRR the problem is these shocks are made for export. Its not easy to get them in Thailand. You may have to cantact YSS or one of their export dealers directly or visit the factory in Samutprakarn. But i may be wrong.

http://www.yss.co.th/

The truth is that you can buy a good set of shocks for the Lifan LF250-B in Thailand for a reasonable price. You just have to contact a Yamaha big bike dealer and order the rear shocks for the Yamaha Virago 535 (Yamaha Thailand has them on stock). The rear shocks for the Yamaha Virago 250, 400 and 535 are the identical.

The official Yamaha (Thailand) parts number is 2YL-22220-01 (you can download the official Thai Yamaha Virago 535 parts catalog here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0fPe4feWkfeVk5KX0FYWWFRTXE1cUk2eDZaTXBHdw/edit?pli=1)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As for a lot of lifan owners, i am paying the price for trusting in a so called technician,

so now i have been told i have to wait for a tech from bkk to come and put the problem in order

3 weeks down the line, i was told to wait because he was up in the north of thai doing some work there???

only one tech? so yes the bike has been great up to now until a so called tech told me a gasket was leaking..

so ask if the guys are trained techs or just grease monkeys,, good look

should have bought honda,,,

As for a lot of lifan owners, i am paying the price for trusting in a so called technician,

so now i have been told i have to wait for a tech from bkk to come and put the problem in order

3 weeks down the line, i was told to wait because he was up in the north of thai doing some work there???

only one tech? so yes the bike has been great up to now until a so called tech told me a gasket was leaking..

I am sure that tech has lots of work to do around Thailandcheesy.gif so you might wait more a bit.

Yep, hope you bought the Honda!

Edited by ll2

The Lifan mechanic only visited dealers that are not confident to repair a motorcycle themselves, they normally give a very accurate date that they will be on a specific location.

A leaking gasket is not very serious malfunction, it happens sometimes (also happens to Honda's) and a lot of Honda dealers I would also not trust to split my engine to replace a gasket... The downside with Honda is that if the dealer is not confident to do the repair himself he has to ship the motorcycle to Bangkok. Honda Thailand has no “traveling” mechanics to assist dealers with repairs...

Of course you can also ship your motorcycle to Lifan HQ in Bangkok... you will get the genuine Honda feeling

Edited by Richard-BKK

The tech is coming to the shop near to me,, and the guy did not just replace one leaking gasket he replaced everything,, fantastic if you know what you are doing ,, but he does not and caused another problem,, so the tech is coming from bkk, hope he brings his hammer,,,

and as for waiting screw that ,if they cant do the job they should say so,,

i rely on my bike and up to now it has been just that,,

The tech is coming to the shop near to me,, and the guy did not just replace one leaking gasket he replaced everything,, fantastic if you know what you are doing ,, but he does not and caused another problem,, so the tech is coming from bkk, hope he brings his hammer,,,

and as for waiting screw that ,if they cant do the job they should say so,,

i rely on my bike and up to now it has been just that,,

Maybe you have to contact the consumer protection board? You wait 3 weeks for a major repair of your motorcycle... Replacing a gasket, depends on which gasket, needs to split the whole engine.

I find it actual a good service that Lifan Thailand sends out mechanics to assist dealers with repairs like this...

I know enough Honda dealers who will send a motorcycle back to Honda to fix a gasket leak, just they not have the time or knowledge to split an engine...

Thank you in hind site i wish they would have done that for me.now it is going to go to bkk to be sorted properly

the grease monkey just split my engine and replaced everything

what a <deleted>, i do not even know if any of the gaskets were leaking,but anyway fingers crossed it will come back ok,,

cheers phil,

merry xmas

This has been an exercise in futility. The local bike shops stock shocks for small bikes and scooter (say that 5 times really fast).

Haven't been able to find anything comparable to the shocks on the Lifan (I've gone store to store with my Thai wife and a Lifan shock in hand). Finally stopped at Lifan, and they basically said that new OEM shocks aren't going to be any better that what is currently on the bike. So now putting the old shocks back on and just accepting that this is going to be part of the Lifan 250-B Cruiser experience.

Just a 'heads up' for anyone thinking of buying one. Spongy shocks are just part of the ride.

If anyone has successfully changed the rear shocks on a Lifan 250-B to a non-OEM shock, please let me know the manufactures name and part number that you changed to (and where you bought them). If I had that info, at least I could order a set from somewhere. Thanks!

I live in Chiang Mai, have a 250 Lifan, almost 4000k on it. When I have to replace anything, I go to CM dealership, ask to speak only to Kune Chaichanna, the owner, ask for what I need, pay, walk out, and have someone else put it on. Their mechanic is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That would be my suggestion about shocks. I have no problems with my shocks, in fact I love them. Possible you got stuck with a flawed pair from the plant. Buy 2 more, and see how they work in the long term.

The truth is that you can buy a good set of shocks for the Lifan LF250-B in Thailand for a reasonable price. You just have to contact a Yamaha big bike dealer and order the rear shocks for the Yamaha Virago 535 (Yamaha Thailand has them on stock). The rear shocks for the Yamaha Virago 250, 400 and 535 are the identical.

The official Yamaha (Thailand) parts number is 2YL-22220-01 (you can download the official Thai Yamaha Virago 535 parts catalog here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0fPe4feWkfeVk5KX0FYWWFRTXE1cUk2eDZaTXBHdw/edit?pli=1)

Awesome!!!

I had this problem, waiting for tech to show up, while living in Samut Sakohn. Being closer to Bkk than you probably are, I never waited more than 2 days for him to show up. I will say this for the Bkk Lifan mechanics, they are top notch. They know their stuff and I loved those guys. I moved to Chiang Mai last Jan, and had the wife call the lead mechanic on his personal mobile phone and beg him to transfer to C.M. We told him the mechanic here is an on the job trainee type skill.