Customs Import Tax Penalty

This seems a bit of strange to me. You do absolutely nothing correct, not able to even fill in a form, and then brag about it....

I think you are at fault. But be added som penalties,,,,I think NOT....At least not any 500.000 baht.....

Try to be more active and take some responsibility, and you will be fine...

Glegolo

I'm at fault because I don't know Thai Tax Law? One website said 40% , another one 20%, another one 0%. And now fedex says it was actually 10%.

With any reasonable shipping firm they do the tax declaration for you. DHL,UPS,Thailand Post all do this by themselves. If Fedex found out it was 10% what did I add by even doing the form. There was no information there that wasn't already in the shipping slip.

They just come to my door, after I tell them that I don't know if this form was correctly filled out, and tell me I have to pay a penalty of 4 times the CIF value because I lied on the form.

I just want to warn people that Fedex are obviously idiots in comparison to DHL,UPS, Thailand Post. And after seeing some other posts / topics here I don't think I'm incorrect.

yes you are at fault for not using an official source of information for Thai Tariffs.

The resource is here: http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

It is all in English, works well, albeit a bit slow.

no excuses.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems a bit of strange to me. You do absolutely nothing correct, not able to even fill in a form, and then brag about it....

I think you are at fault. But be added som penalties,,,,I think NOT....At least not any 500.000 baht.....

Glegolo

I'm at fault because I don't know Thai Tax Law? One website said 40% , another one 20%, another one 0%. And now fedex says it was actually 10%.

With any reasonable shipping firm they do the tax declaration for you. DHL,UPS,Thailand Post all do this by themselves. If Fedex found out it was 10% what did I add by even doing the form. There was no information there that wasn't already in the shipping slip.

They just come to my door, after I tell them that I don't know if this form was correctly filled out, and tell me I have to pay a penalty of 4 times the CIF value because I lied on the form.

I just want to warn people that Fedex are obviously idiots in comparison to DHL,UPS, Thailand Post. And after seeing some other posts / topics here I don't think I'm incorrect.

yes you are at fault for not using an official source of information for Thai Tariffs.

no excuses.

I did. That website says 40%. Then I asked a friend that recently imported some computers and he said it was actually 0% due to some old Tax Treaty. Also backed up by dutycalculator.com So I put down 0% and then asked Fedex or assistance. Who then, at delivery, said it was 10%.

So obviously it's not that easy. The HS code is 8471.90.90. Please give me the link to where it says 10%. If you find it then I admit defeat and it was my fault.

And since Fedex were the ones that gave me the HS-code. Why couldn't they check the rate themselves? It's set up for a scam.

So they sent you a document written in Thai!

How silly of them, I don't know where you come from but wherever it is, I'm sure the authorities there would send all documentation to a Thai who happens to be living there in the Thai Language.

Wouldn't they????

How silly of them, I don't know where you come from but wherever it is, I'm sure the authorities there would send all documentation to a Thai who happens to be living there in the Thai Language.

Wouldn't they????

That it was in thai isn't really the issue here. What does a document written in Thai have to do with the tax rate. I just wanted them to assist me since they surely should know more than me.

I've sent alot of stuff from EU and the US with DHL and UPS. They always declared everything for me and i just had to pay.

But to add to your trolling.. The documents from dhl and ups have always been in english.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How silly of them, I don't know where you come from but wherever it is, I'm sure the authorities there  would send all documentation to a Thai who happens to be living there in the Thai Language.

Wouldn't they????

What's your point? Yes, the form FedEx sends to someone in Thailand is in Thai, not Tinglish, not Thai and English, not English. It's in Thai.

If you can't read Thai or have access to someone who can translate it for you, you're shit out of luck.

It's a crazy mixed up world out there...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Glegolo

no excuses.

I did. That website says 40%. Then I asked a friend that recently imported some computers and he said it was actually 0% due to some old Tax Treaty. Also backed up by dutycalculator.com So I put down 0% and then asked Fedex or assistance. Who then, at delivery, said it was 10%.

So obviously it's not that easy. The HS code is 8471.90.90. Please give me the link to where it says 10%. If you find it then I admit defeat and it was my fault.

And since Fedex were the ones that gave me the HS-code. Why couldn't they check the rate themselves? It's set up for a scam.

ok, I did the research for you.

the final cost paid by the customer in Thailand includes:

price including cost, insurance and freight (CIF) + import duty + excise tax + interior tax + VAT + customs processing fee + any other fees if not paid by sender (for example customs facilitation by freight company)

import duty:

the goods coming from the US, the US-Thailand free trade agreement tariffs must be applied.

The HS code for computer parts is not 8471.90.90 but rather under HS code subheading 8471.80 - not that it matters much, the tariffs are the same throughout the heading 8471.

The normal, non-WTO rate is 40%.

WTO rate is 20%

ITA rate is 0% - you read that right, these products are exempted from import tariffs when coming from the USA.

excise tax:

as far as I know, computers are not subject to excise tax in Thailand

interior tax: defined as 10% of the excise tax, so not applicable.

VAT:

7% in Thailand

customs processing fee: 200 baht

FEDEX fees: ??

So the import taxes should have been 7% + 200 baht + any fees FEDEX wants

post-67243-0-13647400-1382201854_thumb.j

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

price including cost, insurance and freight (CIF) + import duty + excise tax + interior tax + VAT + customs processing fee + any other fees if not paif by sender (for example customs facilitation by freight company)

import duty:

the goods coming from the US, the US-Thailand free trade agreement tariffs must be applied.

The HS code for computer parts is not 8471.90.90 but rather under HS code subheading 8471.80 - not that it matters much, the tariffs are the same throughout the heading 8471.

WTO rate is 20%

ITA rate is 0% - you read that right, these products are exempted from import tariffs when coming from the USA.

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

Woot. So I was actually correct when writing 0%? Then it will be very interesting on monday when Fedex sends the "corrected" where I would have to pay 10% + penalty.

Btw 8471.90.90 was the HS code specified by the sender so that's what they used.

price including cost, insurance and freight (CIF) + import duty + excise tax + interior tax + VAT + customs processing fee + any other fees if not paif by sender (for example customs facilitation by freight company)

import duty:

WTO rate is 20%

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

Woot. So I was actually correct when writing 0%? Then it will be very interesting on monday when Fedex sends the "corrected" where I would have to pay 10% + penalty.

Btw 8471.90.90 was the HS code specified by the sender so that's what they used.

What is in question is the value you declared for the item. They decided should have been much more than $25

import duty:

WTO rate is 20%

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

What is in question is the value you declared for the item. They decided should have been much more than $25

Where does $25 come from? The CIF value on the shipment is the correct value of $5000 + shipping (unsure how much that was now)

import duty:

WTO rate is 20%

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

Where does $25 come from? The CIF value on the shipment is the correct value of $5000 + shipping (unsure how much that was now)

Sorry I read this in a post and thought it was yours.

What value did you declare on the package when it was sent or and on the form.

For the sake of argument next time OP, use the comma instead of the full stop. Yes yes grammar police out in force but it would save a lot of issues.

Also, the FULL story is also advised - change names if it makes you feel comfortable.

Now that we've got the rules of engagement sorted, onto the advice.

You'll get fcuked by FedEx because they sub contract their customs clearance work, ThaiPost does it in house which is why you read more often than not members loathing the use of FedEx and general praise for ThaiPost - quite ironic, but nevertheless...

The call you get from FedEx saying you have to pay this and that is simply passed on from their subcontractor. As you've demonstrated, you're already in possession of the item in question - which is to your benefit. Even more so given you as the consignee didn't sign anything.

For $5,000 worth of equipment, your excise and import bill should be quite excessive, granted not around the $20,000 mark, but that's the game they play.

I'm surprised you didn't get a call from the subcontractor trying sell you a deal.

A word to the wise. Do your homework, know how much tax you are potentially liable for this will give you a leg up in possible negotiations.

Have a figure in your head at the price you're ok with and halve it to start. Don't chase them, let them chase you.

You might get a letter in a couple of weeks from the Customs Department asking for payment of taxes - it should be an appropriate amount to which I would strongly advise you pay.

ThaiPost - for me and my imported products - is the way to go. All of my exporters try to send it via FedEx, DHL or TNT to guarantee its arrival but it's not worth the hassle. I get a tracking number with my consignments from ThaiPost and can follow the process as and when required.

If it's a large enough quantity it'll come on a ship - which has its own risks, least of all the time taken :P

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Put a Thai name on the consignment.

Glegolo

The Customs Dept is one the most corrupt government departments and it is quite possible that some local staff of couriers and/or their clearing agents are in cahoots with them to scam individual customers. Paying bribes is part of a normal day's work for staff of shipping companies in Thailand, so it is not unlikely that they get to know some of the dirt bags at Customs on that sort of level. You might get even get a genuine looking receipt from Customs but the money might still be divided up between scamsters. If you didn't sign a customs declaration form, there is no evidence in support of a fine. If you refuse to pay, they will have to take you to court, if they want to pursue the case and you can legitimately deny that you declared anything. I would try to contact some one senior at Fedex in the US, write letters to the Press etc

price including cost, insurance and freight (CIF) + import duty + excise tax + interior tax + VAT + customs processing fee + any other fees if not paid by sender (for example customs facilitation by freight company)

import duty:

WTO rate is 20%

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

Thanks for this Manarak. Would the import duty on a laptop from the US also be 0%?

I would like to import one, as I don't like the specs here or the keyboard cluttered with Thai characters I don't use but am worried by this story and another thread where Fedex attempted to charge the OP 40% duty for a laptop but backed down eventually. USPS may not be an option, if the package is too big.

import duty:

WTO rate is 20%

excise tax:

VAT:

7% in Thailand

Thanks for this Manarak. Would the import duty on a laptop from the US also be 0%?

I would like to import one, as I don't like the specs here or the keyboard cluttered with Thai characters I don't use but am worried by this story and another thread where Fedex attempted to charge the OP 40% duty for a laptop but backed down eventually. USPS may not be an option, if the package is too big.

I don't have the time to do the research, but I know there are separate nomenclature references for laptops and non-laptop computers.

Go to this site:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

do a search for "laptop" and get the HS code. you can also use any other site to get the correct code.

(I think it's 8471.30.20)

then do a "search import tariff" using that code. the result will probably show 40%, but then there are reductions - choose "WTO" . then the WTO and ITA tariffs will be shown. WTO is for goods originating from WTO members, ITA for USA.

I guess ITA tariff for laptops is 0% as well.

then piece together the taxes using the same method as I before and you get your complete import cost... if the tariffs listed on the Thai Customs Website are correct.

But I think they are, because the site is an official one and is very well made (for a Thai government site) and seems to get updated with new tariffs.

When discussing taxes, it is always important to know how much the correct tax is, especially if it's in your favor.

If you can show them a printout from the database, the customs don't have a leg to stand on.

Ok so they called now and it wasn't the hefty 500,000 baht that they talked about before.

And what a funny reason for the 10%.

Because the computers contained power supplys... and power supplys are according to them, even if contained inside a computer, HS Code 8504.40.90 and therefor 10%.

Basically if Thailand says in the future people can import cars for 0% duty rate it wouldn't include the engine :)

Then they gave me 2 alternatives. Either I can go to court and if I loose pay 3 times the CIF value (would be about 450,000 baht).

Or I could just accept the 10% and pay it.

I'll just pay it. But I don't think when they wrote the tax law about 0% on computers from the US. They only ment the chassi and not on the stuff inside...

Ok so they called now and it wasn't the hefty 500,000 baht that they talked about before.

Because the computers contained power supplys... and power supplys are according to them, even if contained inside a computer, HS Code 8504.40.90 and therefor 10%.

Basically if Thailand says in the future people can import cars for 0% duty rate it wouldn't include the engine smile.png

Then they gave me 2 alternatives. Either I can go to court and if I loose pay 3 times the CIF value (would be about 450,000 baht).

I'll just pay it. But I don't think when they wrote the tax law about 0% on computers from the US. They only ment the chassi and not on the stuff inside...

Well and of course you want an official document from them which of course contains the letter from the revenue department.

And you pay it to the bank account from either FedEx or the revenue department and not to someone who pick up the cash money.

• Like 1

Basically if Thailand says in the future people can import cars for 0% duty rate it wouldn't include the engine smile.png

You will win in court - or... wait, in your post you said you ordered "computer parts" and not "computers"... so the customes may actually have a point there.

How much are the power supplies worth?

On the other hand, if these 10% include VAT, it's not much higher than the normal tax. we would be talking about 3% of 5000 USD = 150 USD - which is still money.

EDIT:

I just checked the ITA tariff for 8504.40.90 - it doesn't have an ITA or WTO tariff, while under the more appropriate HS code 8504.40.19, power supplies are exempted.

But I have read that Thailand commonly classifies computer power supplies under 8504.40.90, with 10% tariff. But, this tariff should only be applied to the power units - how much are they worth?

Edited by manarak

Tarrifs are applied at the rate of the highest tarriff in the package. Standard international rule.

No. Not if there is a code specifying the whole product. A computer (includes everything inside) for example...

If not the gold plated connectors on some motherboards ,cables etc inside a computer would have been taxed also :D

• Like 1

You will win in court - or... wait, in your post you said you ordered "computer parts" and not "computers"... so the customes may actually have a point there.

How much are the power supplies worth?

On the other hand, if these 10% include VAT, it's not much higher than the normal tax. we would be talking about 3% of 5000 USD = 150 USD - which is still money.

EDIT:

I just checked the ITA tariff for 8504.40.90 - it doesn't have an ITA or WTO tariff, while under the more appropriate HS code 8504.40.19, power supplies are exempted.

But I have read that Thailand commonly classifies computer power supplies under 8504.40.90, with 10% tariff. But, this tariff should only be applied to the power units - how much are they worth?

Like $150+$150. I told them that the 10% should then be on the power supplies only but since I couldn't provide a specific recipt for only the power supplies they ignored it...

Of course I couldn't since it was bought as a whole product.

Tarrifs are applied at the rate of the highest tarriff in the package. Standard international rule.

No. Not if there is a code specifying the whole product. A computer (includes everything inside) for example...

If not the gold plated connectors on some motherboards ,cables etc inside a computer would have been taxed also biggrin.png

I said package.

He previously said it was computer parts. Unless they are assembled into a working computer they are assessed as parts and looked at individually. THe Highest tarriff is applied to all. If you include one shoe with it all will be assessed at 60%.

They saw that the higest tarriff in the package applied to power supplies so that is the tarrif applied to all.

If not the gold plated connectors on some motherboards ,cables etc inside a computer would have been taxed also biggrin.png

I said package.

He previously said it was computer parts. Unless they are assembled into a working computer they are assessed as parts and looked at individually. THe Highest tarriff is applied to all. If you include one shoe with it all will be assessed at 60%.

They saw that the higest tarriff in the package applied to power supplies so that is the tarrif applied to all.

only in the express clearing up 40.000(not sure about the exact amount???) Baht. Else the things will be cleared separated.

If you buy a cnc lathe and the include safety shoes, the machine will pay 1% and the shoes 60% and not everything 60%.

edit: changed one sentence

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

I said package.

only in the express clearing up 40.000??? Baht. Else the things will be cleared separated.

If you buy a cnc lathe and the include safety shoes, the machine will pay 1% and the shoes 60% and not everything 60%.

But if the item is 30000 and they incude a pair of safety shoes it will go through express clearance and all will be 60%. Of course shipments of containers through the port etc are treated differently.

I said package.

only in the express clearing up 40.000??? Baht. Else the things will be cleared separated.

But if the item is 30000 and they incude a pair of safety shoes it will go through express clearance and all will be 60%. Of course shipments of containers through the port etc are treated differently.

yes/no, you can tell that you want the normal clearing. And not all is cleared express from say 10 shipments we get (all are less than 40K), about 1 is cleared normal without any visible reason.

So theoretically FedEx (or whoever) should see that and put it for normal clearing or inform the customer. But I guess that won't happen.

Usually you avoid it by declaring "CNC machine with accessories" making the safety shoes a part of the machine.

We bought once a second hand CNC lathe in China and they just put in anything that they think belongs to it, a wide varity of cutting tools, PC, machine parts and rubbish.

"CNC lathe with accessories" the clearing lady told us that the customs officer even expressed his sympathy when seeing this mess.

If not the gold plated connectors on some motherboards ,cables etc inside a computer would have been taxed also Posted Image

I said package.

Sorry. I said parts because i selected different parts that was assembled to a finished product before shipping

I said package.

Sorry. I said parts because i selected different parts that was assembled to a finished product before shipping

Did the invoice say computer. or did it list the individual parts?