The best hospital in Pattaya for commoners

thairookie

I have noticed at least 4 hospitals in Pattaya, namely: Pattaya Memorial, Pattaya International, Bangkok Pattaya, Banglamung.

Which is the cheapest and most economical of the 4 named ?

Coming from Bangkok, I know Bangkok Pattaya Hospital will be my last choice.

Most will load your bill on a first visit

but most reasonable seem to be Memorial and Pattaya International if you are not a regular.

Banglamung is a government hospital, you can go there of you dare.

Bangkok Pattaya can be OK if you are not on deaths door and still have the option to go elsewhere.

I used to recommend Pattaya Memorial but since the eastern european invasion started their prices have gone up 20 to 30 %, I like Pattaya International Hospital and their prices still seem to be reasonable

What's the charge for just seeing a doctor at Pattaya International? I've used Memorial in the past but last time I went went I found a Hospital Service charge and a hospital fee (I think it was described as that) added to the Doctor fee which almost doubled the bill.

My choice of hospital depends on the circumstances. I have recently had problems with a trapped nerve in my neck (spondylosis) and visited BPH where medication was prescribed. This medication did not have the desired effect so I looked for an alternative solution. My wife has a friend who is a GP at BPH and also runs a clinic (as many GP's do) and she recommended Banglamung hospital for a series of traction sessions. My wife took me along there and within half an hour I was having traction applied to my neck. Six sessions later all was well and the cost was a mere THB300 for a twenty minute session, meaning which the total cost was THB 1,800 which is what I would have paid for a single visit to BPH.

• Like 2

If it is not serious there are quite a few clinics around which are reasonably priced.

If it is serious it is a bit of lottery with the hospitals depending on the day , the doctor, the mood of the staff etc.

No hard and fast rule but I would probably use BPH if it was serious even if it did cost me more.

Queen Sirikit

I agree it's a good hospital, but it is in Sattahip which is a fair distance to travel for people in Pattaya without a car. You'll spend several hours in the queue just waiting to be see a doctor and if you need surgery for a non-emergency issue, you could end up waiting several months if you are not military personnel.

I was scheduled for hernia surgery there. Was impressed with the doctors who first examined me. Scheduled for about 3 months after the exam and then the day before I went in, it was cancelled. I would have had to try to reschedule. At that point I investigated some other hospitals including in Sri Racha and Pattaya and, all things considered Bangkok Pattaya was reasonably priced ... as I recall it came in under Baht 90,000. Saw the surgeon immediately and was under the knife in three days. I was up and about the next morning, pain free (although popping pills for a few days) and without any further problems.

I also go there for vision, dental and cardiac issues and I am definitely a commoner. You don't always get what you pay for, but looking for cheap medical treatment seems a false economy.

• Like 1

I've used Memorial in the past but last time I went went I found a Hospital Service charge and a hospital fee (I think it was described as that) added to the Doctor fee which almost doubled the bill.

Yes, these irritating extra fees that are applied for no valid reason can quickly mount up. Best to find a place that doesn't practice this scam (and it is a scam), if you can.

International hospital is similarly priced to BPH but level of care is poor in my opinion. Memorial hospital I found better level of care but waiting times are ridiculous. BPH blew me away when I went there with the missus as we are having a child very soon. Initially went to International as it is 5 minutes walk from where we live but decided to try somewhere else as we were again very disappointed with the doctors we got. Not the cheapest but not so much more expensive than the other hospitals but worlds apart what you get for your money

Try to consider not to use a hospital, illness permitting of course.

On minor issues I like to visit Dr. Oliver, excellent general practitioner.

Have been seeing him for over 10 years now ...

Some of the small Thai clinics are pretty good as well. My daughter

needed to have a toe nail removed, the guy at the local clinic did a

great job. 800 baht for shot, removal and meds. Ask your local Thai

friends for a place close by.

If you need a serious treatment (heart by-pass, etc), I would stick

with BPH, or go to bkk.

Good luck,

luudee

• Like 2

Yes it all depends, our son was born in BKK/Patt hospital, exellent service and not too expensive (4 years ago).

If I was to have a heart by-pass I think I would go to Bangkok and "shop around".

Minor issues, find a clinic.

ICU, you better be insured if you end up at BKK/Patt hospital, I heard 100k baht per night is normal.

Memorial hospital is normally over crowed because of the central location and they can't expand.

• Like 1

with BPH, or go to bkk.

Good luck,

luudee

Er....where is Dr Oliver ?

with BPH, or go to bkk.

Good luck,

luudee

Er....where is Dr Oliver ?

He is a legend ... but I guess you haven't heard of him or google ... ;)

http://www.dr-olivier-clinic.com/

luudee

The best hospital in the Pattaya area is Phyathai hospital in Sriracha, just 20-30 minutes North of Pattaya. Prices and doctors are good.

They also apply a 400+B "fee" to everything, which can make the price for a simple consultation much higher than it would be otherwise.

I find this very annoying and will be looking for somewhere else that doesn't systematically do this.

• Like 2

The best hospital in the Pattaya area is Phyathai hospital in Sriracha, just 20-30 minutes North of Pattaya. Prices and doctors are good.

They also apply a 400+B "fee" to everything, which can make the price for a simple consultation much higher than it would be otherwise.

I find this very annoying and will be looking for somewhere else that doesn't systematically do this.

This is the same thing I was complaining about at Memorial, 500 Baht doctor fee 400 added for the hospital.

• Like 1

Does the 400 + B rule apply to ordinary Thais?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was in Banglamung hospital during one of my stays in Pattaya. I'd had an accident, needed stitches in a head injury and to be kept in overnight. During the night in the communal ward I had a severe asthma attack (possibly triggered by the shock from the earlier accident). Was hardly able to breathe. In seconds the staff were there with heart attack equipment. Moments later they understood it was asthma and not my heart. Medication quickly applied and relief soon followed.

Earlier they had checked my heart and done a variety of other tests too, including X-rays. No private room was available at the time that is why I was put in a communal ward.

Come time to pay the bill they even asked if there were any problems paying for it. That made me wonder at the cost blink.png . Turned out be be less that 3,000 Baht for everything.

Good staff, courteous, efficient and friendly. Follow up sessions were also courteous efficient and friendly.

• Like 2

Does the 400 + B rule apply to ordinary Thais?

I am not aware that Phyathai has a dual-pricing structure, but I may be mistaken.

Maybe someone on here knows a Thai who has been there?