9 Days In A Thai Temple.......

theblether

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the head guy was listening to ZZ Top tb. thumbsup.gif ......................laugh.png

Joking aside, you did well matey. thumbsup.gif .....10 out of 10, I couldn't do it.

Did your experience do anything for you now you are back in our world ?

Well I would hope that some of the things I was told would sink in. I think that's the challenge. let's see if it makes a difference.

Welcome back mate!

Good to know you seemed to have enjoyed your "time out", as others have said, all credit to you for trying as its not something I could focus on for that length of time. I find it very interesting though and look forward to reading more about your trip and experiences.

• Like 2

Think the head guy was listening to ZZ Top tb. thumbsup.gif ......................laugh.png

Joking aside, you did well matey. thumbsup.gif .....10 out of 10, I couldn't do it.

Well I would hope that some of the things I was told would sink in. I think that's the challenge. let's see if it makes a difference.

As I know you personally, I think you were born with a good attitude to life and others in general. Can you improve on that. Or are you looking for something ?

• Like 1

As I know you personally, I think you were born with a good attitude to life and others in general. Can you improve on that. Or are you looking for something ?

I'm looking for improvement to my attitude. I'm an information magnet and that's fine, I need to go a bit deeper and try to cut out the unimportant BS from my life, and to learn from how others love their lives. Some of the stuff I learned was compelling, it really made me think.

If I can take on board what I was taught then it will stand me in good stead in the longer term. I hope to do so.

There is a farang Temple in Ubon. When I see you next I will take you there. I went and had a chat with a USA monk, nice guy. He was an ambulance driver/medic in USA, he got fed up, had enough of picking up folk off the floor with bullet holes.

I like that pic of the monk kneeling with hands together in front of buddha. Lovely pic!

I've always found temples to be very tranquil and peaceful places. Lovely places to visit and some of them quite fascinating.

Another neat trip report mate, thanks! Where in the worlds the next report coming from I wonder?? :)

I like that pic of the monk kneeling with hands together in front of buddha. Lovely pic!

I've always found temples to be very tranquil and peaceful places. Lovely places to visit and some of them quite fascinating.

Another neat trip report mate, thanks! Where in the worlds the next report coming from I wonder?? smile.png

Trans music tastes. whistling.gif ..............................laugh.png

Thanks again for sharing. Glad to hear you have survived all the other dramas you've encountered this trip.

You mentioned in another thread, one of your many ambitions is to write books.....

....will they be non-fiction tales of your travels, or fiction intertwined with your adventures?

Either way, will look forward to reading them my friend.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The Buddha image in the lying posture denotes the posture he was in when he died.... Called the 'lion posture'. Some monks keep the most difficult rule of only sleeping in this posture or sitting in meditation... The Buddha's son did this as a novice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Yes all credit to you for actually doing it. I've seen lots of people doing it and it works for them. I've contemplated it but wonder whether the agony of sitting all those hours in meditation with bad back knees and all would be made up by the ecstasy of some sort of enlightenment. My answer is no in all truth but the mystery sometimes still beckons. I reckon the way you have gone about it more as a mission of inquiry than finding something to believe in is a good way to go. I too like the peace of some of the temples as one other pointed out. Anyway I'm glad you reported back in.

Yes all credit to you for actually doing it. I've seen lots of people doing it and it works for them. I've contemplated it but wonder whether the agony of sitting all those hours in meditation with bad back knees and all would be made up by the ecstasy of some sort of enlightenment. My answer is no in all truth but the mystery sometimes still beckons. I reckon the way you have gone about it more as a mission of inquiry than finding something to believe in is a good way to go. I too like the peace of some of the temples as one other pointed out. Anyway I'm glad you reported back in.

A mission of inquiry is exactly right. I'm not a Buddhist and never intend to be, but who knows the future. I did know that I had to do this trip, I knew it would be a challenge and I put back my flight for three weeks so that I would be fit and ready to complete it.

A lot of people have contemplated entering a Temple for a few days. My Thai friends told me that the first three days are the worst, the next couple you settle down, and by the end you feel elated. In my case by the end I felt educated, not elated. This temple is known for being particularly tough, that's why I went. Other temples would be far easier.

Anyone contemplating doing this should ask around first and see what the locals say. Go have a look, and at the facilities, and ask of you can enter for a few days. I reckon a three day trip is enough the first time round. If you can handle that, then think about going longer. It is physically draining. Sleeping on a floor takes it out of you. Being in an alien environment takes it out of you too, simple things become problems. The eating regime can be tough for some too.

I say don't over promise, don't put yourself under pressure. It's a big learning curve.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your experience.

As someone else noted, the statue in the sleeping posture is indeed the Buddha, not his wife.

The Buddha always slept on his right side and also passed away in this position, which is why it is depicted so often.

• Like 1