9 Days In A Thai Temple.......

theblether

Thanks for sharing your experience.

As someone else noted, the statue in the sleeping posture is indeed the Buddha, not his wife.

The Buddha always slept on his right side and also passed away in this position, which is why it is depicted so often.

Thanks for that and to FabianFred too.....amazing that I was so misinformed. Was the story about the baby true?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to spoil the party.

It just seems like a bunch of holiday snaps.

Along with I did,I did,Idid.

Hardly inspirational.

Sorry the Sky News crew let me down. I'm pretty sure there was a bit of information there about others too. Or would you have preferred me to write about what you did?

Naughty boy. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Hey The Blether - respect mate!

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it.

When I 25-30, I did similar stuff, once in Suan Mokh, in Surathani. A famous temple of Ajarn Buddhadassa Bikkhu. 10 days and no talking allowed. I also did similar things in India, at Daramsala, where HH The Dalai Lama lives.

I sadly, did them for the wrong reasons - trying to find a remedy for my drinking. It was impossible to find the same peace as other found when suffering from untreated alcoholism. I should have done some CBT or AA first. As it happened I was drunk within an hour of leaving the temples.

20 years on, I'm jealous of you. With my family and work commitments, it's very hard to find the time for a retreat. I feel now I'm ready to do such a retreat for the correct reasons. I'm not a Buddhist but not not a Buddhist too. I find some great teachings in Buddhism and meditation is very beneficial.

I just read a book called the Power of Now and found many similarities with Buddhism.

• Like 2

Hey The Blether - respect mate!

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it.

When I 25-30, I did similar stuff, once in Suan Mokh, in Surathani. A famous temple of Ajarn Buddhadassa Bikkhu. 10 days and no talking allowed. I also did similar things in India, at Daramsala, where HH The Dalai Lama lives.

I sadly, did them for the wrong reasons - trying to find a remedy for my drinking. It was impossible to find the same peace as other found when suffering from untreated alcoholism. I should have done some CBT or AA first. As it happened I was drunk within an hour of leaving the temples.

20 years on, I'm jealous of you. With my family and work commitments, it's very hard to find the time for a retreat. I feel now I'm ready to do such a retreat for the correct reasons. I'm not a Buddhist but not not a Buddhist too. I find some great teachings in Buddhism and meditation is very beneficial.

I just read a book called the Power of Now and found many similarities with Buddhism.

I totally get where you are coming from. What you learn in a very short space of time is profound. Profound as it is, you still need to act on it. That's the challenge.

It's a real challenge. I hope you can find the time sometime soon. wai.gif

Hardly inspirational.

Sorry the Sky News crew let me down. I'm pretty sure there was a bit of information there about others too. Or would you have preferred me to write about what you did?

Naughty boy. :coffee1:

Nice reply.

Maybe your meditation techniques will improve in business class.

Whilst flying home.

After a couple of g&tees,of course.

Hardly inspirational.

There doesn't seem much point in sharing anything except our own experience, strength and hope. Or maybe our worries, fears and dilemmae.

The rest, you can read about in the Sunday Papers now.

SC

• Like 1

Thanks for the great thread! Very interesting.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

During your stay, how were the meditation techniques taught to you? In English, or Thai?

How did you decide where to go? Was it recommended by someone to you?

Was this happening on specific dates, or is it something that is done all the time?

Once again, thanks for sharing. :wai:

I think that the most important question that threads such as this pose to us is:

"Should I do that? Do I have anything to gain from such an experience? Is that two questions, or three?"

There's a lot of us (assuming I am not unusual) are rarely so introspective as theB seems to have been on this trip

SC

• Like 1

Hardly inspirational.

Thanks for yet another positive contribution. xsaai.gif.pagespeed.ic._HvUA8p60E.webp

And perhaps locking up HH in a different cupboard might enlighten him.....eeeeeeeeeer a bit..............eeeeeeeeeeer, hmmmmm, perhaps not. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

And thank you for sharing this with us. I have a question though. During your meditation sessions sessions, the chanting. We're they in Pali? If so, how did you approach this. Did U join in? If so, how.

It was very challenging for me. I had a translation book that I would read out loud as we went through the various chants. Probably the hardest part of my days actually. As I desperately wanted to add to the beauty of the ritual and not detract from it.

I sometimes think maybe if I had done this in a more Farang oriented temple I may have learned a lot more. I am fascinated to learn more about your experience Blether.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

And thank you for sharing this with us. I have a question though. During your meditation sessions sessions, the chanting. We're they in Pali? If so, how did you approach this. Did U join in? If so, how.

It was very challenging for me. I had a translation book that I would read out loud as we went through the various chants. Probably the hardest part of my days actually. As I desperately wanted to add to the beauty of the ritual and not detract from it.

I sometimes think maybe if I had done this in a more Farang oriented temple I may have learned a lot more. I am fascinated to learn more about your experience Blether.

I would prefer silence I think.

• Like 1

Silence is easily translated, and can be interpreted as mute participation

• Like 2

Silence is easily translated, and can be interpreted as mute participation

Thank you Street. I tried that and was encouraged to participate. Was wondering of it was approached differently at that temple since it appeared from blethers posts that there were some English speakers there. Particularly the abbot?

• Like 1

Anyway. It's seems that I've derailed the thread from Blether. I'll direct any further questions directly. My apologies. Again, Blether. Good on yas. Always interested to learn more from others experiences.

Well, that was a trip report with a kicker.

Maybe an experience which will stay with you a lifetime?

As others have said ... easy to contemplate, but, in reality, difficult to do.

I know that I'm made of less sterner stuff ... tip my hat to you theblether.

• Like 2

If you do decided to go again, this suggestion might help with the transport.

THA.map.route.022006.10.jpg

Presuming that we are talking about the Chiang Dao on the map here, maybe consider getting a bus?

By Bus - From Chang Puak Bus Station in Chiang Mai take the bus to Tha Ton or Fang. Ask to be dropped off at Chiang Dao (40 Baht), the people on the bus will normally make sure you get off at the right place.

Bus Timetable

That way you can get to Chiang Dao fairly effortlessly and enjoy the Songthaew journey forward.

I didn't take the bus, but just something I found when I was researching going to the Cave System there.

Once again ... great story, well told ... thumbsup.gif

re

The Buddha image in the lying posture denotes the posture he was in when he died.... Called the 'lion posture'.

here ya go :)

the biggest gold plated buddha image in the reclining position inside wat pho bangkok

and his feet :)

dave2

post-42592-0-11744900-1382234442_thumb.j

post-42592-0-34567000-1382234476_thumb.j

post-42592-0-05956000-1382234511_thumb.j

post-42592-0-90193000-1382234549_thumb.j

post-42592-0-30288700-1382234585_thumb.j

• Like 1