I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk.

RandoBrando

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often newbies log on to test the waters of a site. I wonder if this isn't the case with this train of responses. I mean the guy has registered as Rando Brando - and he wants to come and become a monk, take a vow of silence and never leave. Maybe some of us should explain that firstly monks are not meant to be sexually active and that the legendary reputation of Thailand as the sex capital of the world won't be readily available to a committed monk with little or no resources. Secondly maybe he should understand that monks in Thailand do not take a vow of silence - far from it - one of their main duties is to learn to recite / chant extended sections of the words of the Buddha in a language other than Thai. Equally from experience many Westerners who join centres of worship and prayer in Thailand are often pushed into the role of being available to visitors to either show them around, explain concepts of the religion to them or at least explain that it is traditional to but flowers place them on the alter and for them to be collected and re-used by other visitors. I think the best advice was to come and try it - many a devotee has found that in a vast majority of temples - the silence and their inability to talk to his fellow monks (who rarely speak good English) plus the regime of early rising and going to wait at a gathering point for a hand out of food - often only cooked rice - is too much for them to take. If he is expecting to find temples where they do everything to make you stay, try to fully convert you and teach you the depths of the religion - try something in the West.

Here's another angle. I wonder if our new poster is a little confused between Thai (Theravada) Buddhism and some of the religions you find in India (and other places).

Why? He / she talks about 'never speaking again'. Well actions like this are not so common in Buddhism where monks don't generally get into this sort of stuff, and are expected to recite lots of stuff as part of the process / part of their duties to enlighten the masses.

However 'never speaking again' and similar things are (from my understanding) more common in some of the Indian sects. e.g. never walking again - devoting the rest of ones' like to crawling / sliding from one end of the world to the other whilst chanting whatever.

Also OP, can you speak Thai? there are very very few temples / monasteries in Thailand where any English is spoken (and this extends to written English) . If you cannot speak Thai / the monks can't speak or write English, and you 'never speak' how can you have even simple survival communications. If your thinking that the Thai monks will go out of their way to work with this / take all of this in their stride / cope with this day to day, forever, then suggest you thing again.

Dear OP, A little more research please. Step by step please.

• Like 2

Give it a trial run tomorrow. After breakfast when mom and dad go off to work, go into your bedroom and sit silently all day. No computer. No TV. No telephone. No food. No self-pleasuring. Possibly contemplate on the Noble Eightfold Path or something else inspiring.

See how that works for you.

If we start an office pool on how long you last, I have dibs on 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Rando Brando,I lived in Thailand for a good while and have been married to a wonderful Thai Lady for 44 years.

If you ever took any advice, take it from the fellas who know.

Long ago Monks did not touch money and like the fellas said, things are not what they seem.

If you think you could get by on rice once per day maybe twice if your lucky, I would suggest if you are in a western

Country, locate a local Buddhist temple and talk to the abbot even if thru interpreter, about trying it for 3 months.

There have been many scandals lately with monks. Its not as pure and moralistic asyou think. Other religions have problems to.

Look at some Catholic priest in the USA and Ireland, Noone could forget Jimmy Swaggart, he is still on satellite.

Spend a month as a monk in a western country, and imagine it in Thailand as being much more austere.

Then there is the weather, mosquitoes, Dengue fever, malaria, bird flu, dysentery,sleeping on boards, learning

Thai, and another chanting language. Noone to talk english to.

After you spend 3 months in a western country as a Monk, if you are still determined, help yourself.

ChuLai6768

• Like 2

Give it a trial run tomorrow. After breakfast when mom and dad go off to work, go into your bedroom and sit silently all day. No computer. No TV. No telephone. No food. No self-pleasuring. Possibly contemplate on the Noble Eightfold Path or something else inspiring.

See how that works for you.

If we start an office pool on how long you last, I have dibs on 10 minutes.

Where I live,many monks do just that;eat,watch TV,use mobile and so on.About sex,I have no insight,but I can guess..!Begs the question,why are they monks? I mean,if they want to live like other folks,why don`t they? Well,of course,that would mean having to work for their living....

This is a naive fantasy.

firstly, you probably have not ever been to Thailand, otherwise you would know that Thai monks don't take vows of silence. Perhaps your knowledge of Buddhism comes from watching Hangover II?

Secondly, what would happen when you give up all your wordly possessions and then decide you don't actually like sleeping on a hard titled floor and being eaten by mosquitoes while feeling hungry and trying to ignore the massive boner under your sabong robe?

I've been a monk in Thailand and it made me see the light! I am no longer a Buddhist, but still follow the teachings of the Buddha...

Bankei

You couldn't have a net for sleeping? Seems a tad harsh.

I think you would do better to be a good Christian and live in the world with people and help them with their problems than just escaping to a Temple and not speaking.....don't think all the monks in Thailand are Saints far from it !

You're out of line, robert888d. TV is not the place to push your religion.

The OP wants to embark on a spiritual journey that does not, as Christianity does, fill peoples' hearts & minds with hatred & pity of those not like themselves.

• Like 2

This is a naive fantasy.

firstly, you probably have not ever been to Thailand, otherwise you would know that Thai monks don't take vows of silence. Perhaps your knowledge of Buddhism comes from watching Hangover II?

Secondly, what would happen when you give up all your wordly possessions and then decide you don't actually like sleeping on a hard titled floor and being eaten by mosquitoes while feeling hungry and trying to ignore the massive boner under your sabong robe?

I've been a monk in Thailand and it made me see the light! I am no longer a Buddhist, but still follow the teachings of the Buddha...

Bankei

You couldn't have a net for sleeping? Seems a tad harsh.

Yes, I had a net. But outside of the net you will be constantly attacked - while chanting in the sala for example.

I think you would do better to be a good Christian and live in the world with people and help them with their problems than just escaping to a Temple and not speaking.....don't think all the monks in Thailand are Saints far from it !

What a ridiculous comment. What if he doesn't believe in Christianity?

I think he would do better to be a good atheist and live in the world with people and help them with their problems than wasting time worshiping an invisible zombie god in the sky that apparently preaches no condom use and is therefore complicit in the spread of disease and death in developing countries around the world, but that's just me.

Don't think all the priests in Italy are Saints--far from it !

Why not let him make his own decision, huh?

Edited by moto77
  • Like 1

If you are serious, no reason to come here. Be a monk where you are. Probably some Buddhist temple near by. Probably more true to the teachings there too I would guess. And they speak the same language as you I reckon. Looking back is not a bad thing IF you learned from what you have done before and how it got you to what you are. Sorry, to me this smacks of trendy escapism. Deal with the shit you have on your plate right now where you are. Anything else is just running away, and that doesn't cut it.

Google "Wat Tampa" That would be a great place to start out a trial run to make sure this is really what you want.

"I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk, taking the vow of silence and leaving every thing behind and never looking back."

This has to be the biggest joke today. Only christian monks bother with the vow of silence. I think you should watch "The bullet proof monk", then learn about Buddhism. If you are still convinced that is your path to happiness then go for it and stop asking silly questions.

Not true. Some monks in every religion take a vow of silence.

http://ackeeusmeditation.blogspot.com

• Like 1

I wish the mob next door at the Temple would take a vow of silence. 6am chanting on the loud speaker system gets a bit much after a while.

Who was there first?

You or the Wat !

If it was the Wat then live with it, if the other way so sad for you

I doubt you can do it.

If you read sabaijai #4 you could have your time in posting. The links clearly state this can be done.

A lot of what Sabaijai put in there is way, way, out of date. I've been a monk 6 years.. It used to be you could get a so called "monks" visa, an "R" visa.. Now they give farangs a "ED" visa.. for studying Buddhism.. My first one was only for 3 months, the next one they give me however was a year. It would appear it's pretty much up to the immigration authority you face at the time. I got my 3 month ed visa from the office in LA. My extended year ed visa was given to me by the immigration officer in my home province, Lopburi.. There is no set rule here. blink.png

OK, now I have never seen a vow of silence monk in Thailand.. maybe there are some, I've never seen of them or heard of them.

In order to become a monk, you have to have permission from the abbot of the temple your going to stay at. AND, you as a farang HAVE to have a permanent temple address. You can't just wander around like the Thai monks sometimes do. AND every 90 days you HAVE to report into the closest immigration office. HAVE to.. So, that pretty much negates the vow of silence thingy. You have a lot to learn and a long row to how buddy.. Good Luck.

"I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk, taking the vow of silence and leaving every thing behind and never looking back."

This has to be the biggest joke today. Only christian monks bother with the vow of silence. I think you should watch "The bullet proof monk", then learn about Buddhism. If you are still convinced that is your path to happiness then go for it and stop asking silly questions.

Not true. Some monks in every religion take a vow of silence.

http://ackeeusmeditation.blogspot.com

Muhendis, I don't think you quite got the gist of the article.. Yes, your silent while you meditating, and probably alone in your kuti.. But that's about it.

Also, this article was written in 1971. All those senior monks in that article are now dead. Wat Pah Nanachat is a great place for a farang to go learn, but I guarantee you, you will be chanting and talking to the abbot. As at the Wat Baan Tad, the temple of former Luang Ta Maha Bowa. So you can pretty much forget the "vow of silence" thingy.. It ain't going to happen to a very new monk. Maybe after 20 or 30 years, yeah.

Rando Brando,I lived in Thailand for a good while and have been married to a wonderful Thai Lady for 44 years.

If you ever took any advice, take it from the fellas who know.

Long ago Monks did not touch money and like the fellas said, things are not what they seem.

If you think you could get by on rice once per day maybe twice if your lucky, I would suggest if you are in a western

Country, locate a local Buddhist temple and talk to the abbot even if thru interpreter, about trying it for 3 months.

There have been many scandals lately with monks. Its not as pure and moralistic asyou think. Other religions have problems to.

Look at some Catholic priest in the USA and Ireland, Noone could forget Jimmy Swaggart, he is still on satellite.

Spend a month as a monk in a western country, and imagine it in Thailand as being much more austere.

Then there is the weather, mosquitoes, Dengue fever, malaria, bird flu, dysentery,sleeping on boards, learning

Thai, and another chanting language. Noone to talk english to.

After you spend 3 months in a western country as a Monk, if you are still determined, help yourself.

ChuLai6768

Very, very, very good advice.

The days of foreigners coming into Thailand with only a complimentary 30 day tourist visa and then becoming a monk with everyone smiling, clapping their hands in glee, including the immigration officials, is long gone. Believe it or not, not all Thai's and even Thai Buddhist abbots are in favor of foreigners becoming Buddhist monks. A lot of them think only Thai's should be monks in Thailand. Back in the 60's, 70's and even into the 80's, it was kind of a fad. Not any more. You can't come into Thailand on a tourist visa and have that visa switched over to anything else that you will need to stay here. My last trip here, last year, I came in from the US, arriving with only a tourist visa, big mistake, I ended up having to go up to Lao's to get a Non-immig. O visa, which in turn I changed back here into a 1 year ED visa. I also did some checking with people here who have a lot of knowledge on Buddhist affairs. They can think of no monk in Thailand doing the "vow of silence" thing. It's un-heard of here. Thai custom doesn't allow it, and like it or not, Thai custom is the rule. Try India, Sri Lanka, maybe Vietnam. It's sure not a Theravada Buddhism practice.

I wish the mob next door at the Temple would take a vow of silence. 6am chanting on the loud speaker system gets a bit much after a while.

Who was there first?

You or the Wat !

If it was the Wat then live with it, if the other way so sad for you

Instead of seeing it as noise realise it is a sound that goes back 2500 years and is an expression of human consciouness to understand and accept our place in the wonderful panoply of creation and that our time is short and once realised act on it and go and do an act of good to someone or some thing. And then you won't feel so bad.

• Like 1

it is a sound that goes back 2500 years and is an expression of human consciouness to understand and accept our place in the wonderful panoply of creation

I'll have what he's smoking.

It's a meaningless drone that makes the monks feel better ... which in turn makes the superstitious locals feel better. A social placebo.

It's 'noise'

It is certainly not meaningless - it makes your neighbours happy and contributes towards making a relatively peaceful and accepting population which is probably why you like it here so much and they were here first. Hmm I wonder where the problem lies here ?

ACCEPT or you might end up like this....

=

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1