Teaching Thai - a prohibited occupation?

bluesofa

I was always under the impression that foreigners were not allowed to teach Thai, but I can't seem to find it in the list of "occupations and professions in which an alien is prohibited to engage"?

Given that a licence would probably be needed, but that's a separate issue.

Can't see it being a subject that would depend a foreign expertise lol.

I know a Dutch person who teaches English.

Plenty of Filipinos teaching English.

What exactly are you suggesting?

How is this relevent to my original question regarding an alien teaching Thai language?

Also what would be the relevence of posting "Andrew Biggs" on its own?

Does he teach Thai?

Can't see it being a subject that would depend a foreign expertise lol.

I know a Dutch person who teaches English.

Plenty of Filipinos teaching English.

What exactly are you suggesting?

How is this relevent to my original question regarding an alien teaching Thai language?

Also what would be the relevence of posting "Andrew Biggs" on its own?

Does he teach Thai?

Andrew Biggs runs his own language school and is a well know Western Thai speaker... I'm of the assumption that he teaches in his own language school (but that may be mistaken) - Try Google...

A few years ago I did an evening Thai course @ London University that was taught by an American, of WASP stock as opposed to mixed race. He was an expert in S E Asian languages and he was an excellent teacher as well as being a real source of knowledge. They could do that there and no one would get bothered. I imagine it would be a little bit different here in LOS! I reckon it was a pretty wise move on LU's part especially for a beginners course where they taught reading and writing - I reckon LU understood the somewhat divergent approaches to education and learning in our respective cultures and decided new Western learners would respond more positively to a familiar approach.

Yes you can however you need to be educated to Degree level (from SOAS, Hull/Leeds if you're from the UK) or have been resident here for 10 years (last time I asked) and then you have to prove your proficiency at the Min of Lab before they put it on your WP and they are hardcore.

By hardcore they'll toss a paper at you and ask you to read then translate it....

I don't know if there is anything in the law that prohibits a foreigner from teaching Thai. The law allows for foreign teachers and, depending on where you work, if you have a Teacher's License and Work Permit, you are not limited to certain subjects (to the best of my knowledge).

I can't see a school hiring someone to teach Thai unless they were raised speaking the language and then got a degree in the language.

So to answer your question, could they, probably; would they, probably not.

I have been learning Thai for many years and the more I advanced, the harder it became to find a teacher here in Thailand because of their spoken English, even with a degree in English, they speak jibberish English and hence can't really explain anything in depth.

Sorry not sure if a Farang can teach here or not, but given that is possible, then how would grade such teachers ability and skills in Thai - Status Unknown to say the least !

I was taught Thai at first at SOAS, University Of London by an english lady with a PHd in Thai

So if you want to learnt advanced Thai; then go to England is my advise.

• Like 1

Teaching Thai by a Falang is NOT Illegal, one only needs correct visas and permits etc. Andrew Biggs is an Ex Australian that has his own teaching Accademy here. He also appears on MCOT television on his own segment " Tounge Thaid', In 2005 he received the prestigious Phetch Siam Award for excellence in using the Thai language – the first Westerner to receive the award.

In July 2007 on Thai Language Day, the Thai Government's Ministry of Culture awarded him Excellent User of the Thai Language. It was the first time the award had been given to a foreigner, and it attracted a lot of attention. I'm curently learning to read and write from him, and my Thai wife says his Thai is excellent ...

Sorry I probably went off track a bit tongue.png Yes to the question and I would recomend his teachings .. Chok Dee Krup !! wai.gif

bluesofa posted:

I was always under the impression that foreigners were not allowed to teach Thai.

Your sentence here has two meanings that's Fifty two replied you that he knows plenty of Filipinos are teaching English.

When you said Thai, it can be either a language or a person.

You should have specified by saying foreigners were not allowed to teach Thai language.

• Like 1

I have been learning Thai for many years and the more I advanced, the harder it became to find a teacher here in Thailand because of their spoken English, even with a degree in English, they speak jibberish English and hence can't really explain anything in depth.

Sorry not sure if a Farang can teach here or not, but given that is possible, then how would grade such teachers ability and skills in Thai - Status Unknown to say the least !

I was taught Thai at first at SOAS, University Of London by an english lady with a PHd in Thai

Why on earth do you want a Thai teacher than can speak English?

Don't English teachers here say that no Thai is to be spoken?

I learned Thai by immersion, which I believe the experts say is the best way.

I used to have girlfriends that spoke no English so had to learn Thai.

I think there is a difference in teaching a language to children and teaching the language to adults. Immersion may work best for young learners, since they are hard-wired to learn language. As we get older, this is less true. You might be able to learn that way, but I don't know if it is as effective.

Adults also have a greater appreciation and need for an explanation of the grammar and a comparison of that grammar with their native language. Explaining grammar to young learners is pretty much a complete waste of time.

As we get older there are different ways we learn, some learn more visually -- by seeing words, others are more auditory. To learn the language effectively, it's best to know how you learn best. If a teacher and student know the strengths and weaknesses, it can make the process a little more smooth.

"Andrew Biggs is an Ex Australian that has his own teaching Accademy here."

Yeah, he couldn't wait to burn his birth certificate and become Thai.

Not quite sure about burnng his Australian Birth Certificate ???? As far as I can find out he is STILL an Australian Citizen ... If any one knows for SURE if he is a Thai citizen I'm all ears ..... PS He certainly loves his adopted country Thailand BUT I have never heard him slag off his Native Australia ????

I want a Thai language teacher that has some educational abilities.

My last Thai language teacher (in a well known CM visa mill) had a degree in drama, and not a clue how to teach.

I would also like a Thai language teacher who can explain the different usage between (for example), Mak, Jang Lery, Sut Fuun, yer yer, yer yeah, which all broadly have a similar meaning but are used in different situations.

Good luck finding a Thai language teacher who can handle that sort of question.

Edited by FiftyTwo

My last Thai language teacher (in a well known CM visa mill) had a degree in drama, and not a clue how to teach.

I would also like a Thai language teacher who can explain the different usage between (for example), Mak, Jang Lery, Sut Fuun, yer yer, yer yeah, which all broadly have a similar meaning but are used in different situations.

Do you mean a Thai teacher who can explain the difference in English?

I can speak pretty fluent Thai and know the differences between the quoted Thai words and I've never had a teacher of educational ability. Never had a teacher actually.

Immersion with no English really is the best way to learn, well it was for me.

Think of how you learned English.

I taught English here for 13 years and never spoke Thai in the class and I explained many different usages of words and phrase at all levels. It was much more beneficial to the students.

He's at a greater level than the Thai equivalent of 'I like you, you go me, boom boom" giggle.gif

A person well versed in both languages will be able to explain the idiosyncrasies with eloquence, this improves proficiency and the efficiency of the whole learning process.

That's not what the experts told me when I was learning to teach languages.

Do you mean a Thai teacher who can explain the difference in English?

I can speak pretty fluent Thai and know the differences between the quoted Thai words and I've never had a teacher of educational ability. Never had a teacher actually.

Immersion with no English really is the best way to learn, well it was for me.

Think of how you learned English.

I taught English here for 13 years and never spoke Thai in the class and I explained many different usages of words and phrase at all levels. It was much more beneficial to the students.

A good teacher would be able to answer the question in Thai, a great teacher would be able to answer in either language.

A totally crap teacher would answer same same but different.

• Like 1