Transferring everything to a new computer?

giddyup

I'm going to have to disagree with the transfer from one machine to another totally different architecture that there will not be problems. 1st thing comes to mind is the HAL (hardware abstract layer) compatibility and I've had problems when attempting to do such a transfer. Sure, it can be corrected (hopefully) by spending time fixing all the things that may not work correctly. This includes a lot of remnant garbage from drivers, registry entries, etc. Even Microsoft doesn't support it.

Of course you can try it and it may work but no 100% guarantee that there may not be complications that can be a nightmare for a novice to fix.

To recover from one of these problems, you can restore the Microsoft Windows operating system from a system state backup. You can restore a system state backup to the same physical computer from which the system state backup was created, or to a different physical computer that has the same make, model, and configuration (identical hardware).

However, we do not support restoring a system state backup from one computer to a second computer of a different make, model, or hardware configuration. We only provide commercially reasonable efforts to support this process. Even if the source and destination computers seem to be identical makes and models, the source computers may have different drivers, hardware, or firmware than the destination computers.

Microsoft

Thats why you have SYSPREP. I have successfully transferred my copy of Windows 7 to so many machines now, with absolutely no problems. I do the same with Windows Server images. A gazillion hours saved of installation and setup. This is not a novice job though...

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, I've cloned many drives from old machines to new ones, but after months of strange errors have always had to resort to the "Fresh Install.". It seems That there are just too many unique registry entries and leftover incompletely removed temporary or installation files on the cloned hard disk for the clone to run reliably in a new machine for very long.

I guess you just cloned without first doing a SYSPREP. Its guaranteed NOT to work ..

• Like 1

Step -1: Buy and SSD for new computer(!)

Step 0: Remove unessacry crap on your old system

Step 1: Image copy your original system to new hard drive

Step 2: Insert that new SSD in old PC, and boot up

Step 3: Run SYSPREP, which ends with a shutdown.

Step 4: Insert SSD on the new PC

Step 5: Wait...

Step 6: Enjoy your new PC - just like your old one.. but faster, better and smoother ;)

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is, he's saying his existing PC is having some issues. For that reason alone, I'd avoid the straight copy of the old OS as you're quite likely to copy the problems.

i.e. We have no idea if his PC is infected with half a dozen viruses, or if it's some sort of misconfiguration that's causing his performance issues. (I no longer install Adaware for this reason because recent versions check files as they're being copied which interfered with the virus scanner and slowed file transfers to a crawl.) A straight copy of the old PC could reproduce the problem.

In that situation, I would always do the clean install... including a clean install of an antivirus like AVG or Avast BEFORE copying your data and things like bookmarks over.

The fact of the matter is, he's saying his existing PC is having some issues. For that reason alone, I'd avoid the straight copy of the old OS as you're quite likely to copy the problems.

i.e. We have no idea if his PC is infected with half a dozen viruses, or if it's some sort of misconfiguration that's causing his performance issues. (I no longer install Adaware for this reason because recent versions check files as they're being copied which interfered with the virus scanner and slowed file transfers to a crawl.) A straight copy of the old PC could reproduce the problem.

In that situation, I would always do the clean install... including a clean install of an antivirus like AVG or Avast BEFORE copying your data and things like bookmarks over.

The OP doesn't mention software problems.

Doing a complete re-install can be VERY time consuming. Getting all those programs, licenses, configurations and setup. For me its 1-2 weeks job.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to disagree with the transfer from one machine to another totally different architecture that there will not be problems. 1st thing comes to mind is the HAL (hardware abstract layer) compatibility and I've had problems when attempting to do such a transfer. Sure, it can be corrected (hopefully) by spending time fixing all the things that may not work correctly. This includes a lot of remnant garbage from drivers, registry entries, etc. Even Microsoft doesn't support it.

Of course you can try it and it may work but no 100% guarantee that there may not be complications that can be a nightmare for a novice to fix.

To recover from one of these problems, you can restore the Microsoft Windows operating system from a system state backup. You can restore a system state backup to the same physical computer from which the system state backup was created, or to a different physical computer that has the same make, model, and configuration (identical hardware).

However, we do not support restoring a system state backup from one computer to a second computer of a different make, model, or hardware configuration. We only provide commercially reasonable efforts to support this process. Even if the source and destination computers seem to be identical makes and models, the source computers may have different drivers, hardware, or firmware than the destination computers.

Microsoft

Thats why you have SYSPREP. I have successfully transferred my copy of Windows 7 to so many machines now, with absolutely no problems. I do the same with Windows Server images. A gazillion hours saved of installation and setup. This is not a novice job though...

Exactly. So I used my old XP and its programs through numerous builds and different hardware. It had lots of old driver files lying around and old hidden devices (I'm lazy), but so what? Windows uses the latest suitable drivers you install. Never had any problems, always ran like a top--I did maintenance as I should. Then I finally changed to Win 7 SP1 and had to reinstall. Cloned that through a couple of mainboards. Then I went to 64-bit and had to reinstall again--which reminded me again how much I HATE wasting time reinstalling! I spend most of my time on Linux nowadays, however.

That's a fair point. If he thinks he's having software problems, he should try to resolve them first. Virus scans--excellent idea. Good time for a general cleanup. But then I'd clone anyway even if all the problems haven't been quite resolved, unless there's an ineradicable virus (not likely). Maybe it's hardware after all. See how it is on the new machine. Can always start again from scratch if absolutely necessary.

Buy an external hard drive and transfer all info to this first then back onto new computer

or buy mac put all files up to icloud.

If you buy a Mac pay the extra few bucks and let the people at the Apple store perform the data transfer for you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yep buy a Mac and its real easy, get help for first time from Apple genius guys in store then after that its virtually automatic when you change to new apple / Mac systems just a few button pushes ... I used a windows system / laptop on Sunday for the first time in years ... boy it was clunky and not at all instinctive ... or logical .. thank god for simple secure Apple .

• Like 1

OP's head must be spinning.

First thing.... look at issues with three year old laptop.

If you still want to migrate, just use Windows Easy Transfer. You'll likely have to run a clean install of the OS for the new machine anyway.

People need to learn how to install and activate the OS themselves, without resorting to the crude hacks perpetrated in the shops for 200 to 300 baht.

So it's entirely possible that a clone may just transferred a crudely hack install of the OS.

If you still want to migrate, just use Windows Easy Transfer. You'll likely have to run a clean install of the OS for the new machine anyway.

People need to learn how to install and activate the OS themselves, without resorting to the crude hacks perpetrated in the shops for 200 to 300 baht.

So it's entirely possible that a clone may just transferred a crudely hack install of the OS.

Correct, my brain is about to explode. I think the easiest (for me) way will be to start afresh. That means downloading only 20 or so programmes again. All my files, photos etc I will transfer to a flash drive and install on the new computer. Doesn't all have to be done in one day and it's not like I don't have the time. I appreciate all the advice though, even though some of it was totally over my head.

Buy an external hard drive and transfer all info to this first then back onto new computer

or buy mac put all files up to icloud.

Mac transfers are easy as pie, no need to pay, just use time machine and import from time machine on the new machine - seamless.

Correct, my brain is about to explode. I think the easiest (for me) way will be to start afresh. That means downloading only 20 or so programmes again. All my files, photos etc I will transfer to a flash drive and install on the new computer. Doesn't all have to be done in one day and it's not like I don't have the time. I appreciate all the advice though, even though some of it was totally over my head.

What are the issues with the laptop?

Switches itself off for no reason, some letters duplicate on keyboard when typing, but basically I just want a bigger monitor, 14" is just too small.

Switches itself off for no reason, some letters duplicate on keyboard when typing, but basically I just want a bigger monitor, 14" is just too small.

Brand name and the full model number? Does it overheat? Has it been cleaned internally? Nothing wrong with getting a PC, but perhaps no need to scrap the laptop. You may be able to use the laptop with a larger monitor anyway.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu