3 entry tourist visa, what to do...

Here's the situation: I have a triple entry tourist visa issued at 22 july 2013. I entered Thailand on the 31st of july and just extended my first entry by 30 days. This means I have to do a visa run before october 28th.

I'll be flying to Penang on the 26th of october and will return on the 29th, that will be the start of entry 2. 60 days + 30 extension will get me to somewhere around january 25th 2014.

My last entry has to be made before january 21st, but I have a flight home which I'm planning to use on the 20th of january. Unfortunately I just found out that the price of changing the ticket will be exactly 100% of the ticket price. That's not an option, so I have to choose whether to disband the ticket and buy a new one when my last entry is finished, or just use it and fly back on a new ticket. Since I have a close relative who's very sick, my number 1 option is to go home in january and come back to Thailand afterwards.

After 2 weeks home i'd like to come back and start the last entry .that should be around february 5th 2014. I understand this is not possible, but what is the best to do in a situation like this? Is it possible to leave and enter the country before january 20th to start my last entry, and then get a 2 week 'leave' without finishing my last entry?

What would you guys do in a situation like this?

You could obtain a re-entry permit after you make your third entry. This will allow reentry Thailand but does not add time to the "permission to stay date" Any time spent outside Thailand is therefor "lost"

Obtaining another tourist visa whilst at home would be another option if more time in Thailand is wanted.

You could do a border run just prior to your planned trip and reenter Thailand. You will get 60 days permission to stay. You can get a re-entry permit for 1000 baht which will keep that permission to stay valid when you come back in Feb and then extend that for 30 days - cost 1900 baht.

The border run and the re-entry permit is more expensive than just getting a new visa when you go home and would be a real hassle, I would just go, not use the third entry and get a new visa!

Edited by wayned

thansk for the replies. How easy is it to get another double or triple when I'm at home (Amsterdam)? If they deny another one, I have a problem since I'm living in Thailand most of the time.

My impression is that there are no rules for a back to back visa, they just give it or won't. Am I right? I'd have to return to BKK and go to Laos first to get another one, since that might be easier?

thansk for the replies. How easy is it to get another double or triple when I'm at home (Amsterdam)? If they deny another one, I have a problem since I'm living in Thailand most of the time.

My impression is that there are no rules for a back to back visa, they just give it or won't. Am I right? I'd have to return to BKK and go to Laos first to get another one, since that might be easier?

Tourist visas are not a viable option for staying long term in Thailand.

Whilst there are no "rules" limiting back to back tourist visas the authorities will react to serial applications as they suspect such applicants are not tourists. There are now some Embassy's/Consulates who will not offer double /triple entry visas and refusal to issue back to back visas is not unknown.

There are long term visa options for those who are over 50 or for those married to a Thai. Legitimate employment also offers the possibility of a long term stay as does studying at an approved school.

I would advise seeking a legal means of securing an appropriate visa .

• Like 2

There will likely not be any issue getting another tourist visa - what is sometimes a problem is getting in the immediate area of Thailand but if you have funds to return to home country the thinking is you have the funds to stay as a tourist.

As said it would seem better to just get a new visa when home which costs about the same as a re-entry permit and will not require a border run to get a new entry and you do not lose the two week or more that you will be away. If losing the 3rd entry is a mind blower you can use that entry with a border run rather than getting your second extension of stay if you want.

thanks, I'll think about risking the denial of a new tourist visa at home. I might as well just send the embassy a message and ask about it. If they start making trouble i'll do the border run before I go home.