ext based on marriage (on permission to stay)

Hi all,

I'm an Irish national & I used to live in Bangkok

I'm married to a Thai & my son is attending school in Bangkok.

I have been working in Ireland since 2008.

I haven't used O visas (I'm married to a Thai) since 2007.

I have been visiting Thailand regularly since 2007 but only staying under the duration of "permission to stay" stamps.

This next visit I plan to stay longer & for now I'm looking at staying From November until February.

After this trip, I would go to Ireland & return to Thailand on an O visa & deposit THB400,000.- in advance of a 1 year extension.

However, for now I would be landing on the 9th November and getting a permission to stay stamp.

I'd like to have the option to extend my stay to mid February.

I'd like to confirm with you the following:

do I fill in TM7 & TM86 & TM87 ?

what are the visa fees ?

what do I do need to present to immigration ?

I know there is one additional marriage document that I didn't have to produce prior to 2007 along with my marriage certificate.

I got married in 1988 in Bangkok.

Is there anything I'm missing ?

I've looked thru' the pinned stuff, downloaded the visa applications but the FAQs are in Thai.

Thanks in advance

PaddyBkk

In this case you can extend your stay with 60 days for visiting your family.

Only have to bring wife and marriage certificate.

The fee for all extensions is 1.900 baht.

From Police order 777/2551

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.
(1) Proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

• Like 1

When you extend your stay for one year it gets more complicated.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Proof of family relationship
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.
(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Paperwork:

1. Two application forms T.M. 7 with two photographs size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht
2. Copy Marriage Certificate
3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office, marriage registry (not older than six months)
4. Child's birth certificate (if any)
5. Copy wife’s house registration
6. Copy wife’s identity card
7. Copy passport, non-Im visa, arrival card.
8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife
9. Map to residency (names of roads and house marked in Thai)
10. Picture of house and family, in house and outside showing house number.
11. Copy house book from residence or rental contract.

With money in bank option.
1. Letter from bank same day or day before stating bank records, make a transaction just before to get it up to date.
2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.
3. Letter from bank must show transaction during previous two months.

With Income in Thailand option
1. A copy of work permit
2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt (PND.91)

With Income from abroad.
1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

• Like 2

You could get a single entry non-o at the consulate in Dublin that would give you a 90 day entry.. You would only need your marriage certificate and copy of your wife's Thai passport.

You could do it a gain when your return instead of doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa which the TM87 is for. The TM7 is for the extension application but you would already need a non immigrant visa entry to apply.

You could get a single entry non-o at the consulate in Dublin that would give you a 90 day entry.. You would only need your marriage certificate and copy of your wife's Thai passport.

You could do it a gain when your return instead of doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa which the TM87 is for. The TM7 is for the extension application but you would already need a non immigrant visa entry to apply.

--------------------

Yes that would be a better way of doing it.

For one reason, a single entry Non O visa will give you 90 days permission to stay, vice a 30 day entry.

You can establish the bank account and do the paperwork in the first 60 days, and then start the marriage extension process with 30 days left.

That's assuming they will at least give you that single entry in Dublin, of course.

Check with the Thai consulate to be sure they will first.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Many thanks guys,

I wasn't expecting a definitive response so soon.

Very much appreciated that you've cleared that up.

It's just after 06.30 here in Ireland - I'll sign off here, thanking you & looking forward to my next Thai visit.

PaddyBkk

A question re the Kor Ror 2 if I may. I am on my first 12 month extension based on marriage which expires in January 2014. If Ive read here correctly I need a copy of this Kor Ror 2 (not older than 6 months) to extend again. We were married at Laksi but will very soon be moving to Isaan which is where I will apply for the new extension. This year wont be a problem as I can pick up a new copy before we move there but my question is will I/we have to come to Laksi every year to get a fresh copy to extend my visa? Did I read somewhere you can download it from the internet? Or is this only required for the first extension? Many thanks in advance.

A question re the Kor Ror 2 if I may. I am on my first 12 month extension based on marriage which expires in January 2014. If Ive read here correctly I need a copy of this Kor Ror 2 (not older than 6 months) to extend again. We were married at Laksi but will very soon be moving to Isaan which is where I will apply for the new extension. This year wont be a problem as I can pick up a new copy before we move there but my question is will I/we have to come to Laksi every year to get a fresh copy to extend my visa? Did I read somewhere you can download it from the internet? Or is this only required for the first extension? Many thanks in advance.

It's centralized now, you can get it at any Amphur office.

Any recent marriage should be on computer and any District Office can print it out. For older marriages that have not been transferred to computer some have been able to call there recording office and have copy faxed to them without have to make the trip so would be worth a call - perhaps district to district - before deciding have to go there.

Correct just have the wife go to the local Amphoe and ask for a print out of the Kor Ror 2. Cost is 20 baht. Some offices will want it more recent than 6 months. My wife got 2 for the price of one recently just before our application date.

We were married in the UK in 1998 and when my wife went to her local Amphoe for the necessary Kor Ror and was told they only issue them in Bangkok.
So she caught the bus to Bangkok.
When she went to Thai Immigration she was told that, as the Marriage Certificate was British and in English, she needed a Marriage Affirmation from the British Embassy.
So she went to the British Embassy and got the required Affirmation - cost TB2,800
This of course was in addition to the Income Letter already obtained by post – cost TB2,300
Back to Thai Immigration where the Affirmation had to be translated into Thai - cost TB300
Only after all this did they issued the necessary Kor Ror - cost TB800
Total cost including the return coach fare and taxis running around Bangkok TB9,000

So far we have been to our nearest Immigration Office 4 times - round trip 120 miles each time.
I was given a 25 day extension on my Non-Immigrant O 30 days before it expired on the 1st visit
We have been back three times since with various papers, photos (in duplicate) and a non-family adult householder to guarantee that we do actually live together.
I have been told to report AGAIN on the 28th October for the 5th time.

In the last 17 years I have entered Thailand 51 times - 37 Visa On Arrival, 9 Non Immigrant O's and 5 Non Immigrant B's
I have NEVER overstayed and have NEVER been refused a seat on an airplane when flying on a one way ticket which I often do.
I have NEVER been asked to show a return ticket or a hotel reservation.
Knowing how Thai Immigration give you the runaround from a previous extension based on money in the bank in 2003 I decided to rent a condo in Penang from October 2007 to March 2013
I came to Thailand for a few days every 90 days usually by minibus but occasionally by plane (22 times)
My wife came to Penang every 30 days for two weeks (70 times)
We gave up the condo when Malaysian Immigration at Sadao started asking why I didn't buy their MM2H for GBP30,000 and started making life difficult.
I had no problems when arriving by plane at KL or Penang airports and strangely enough they never bothered my wife at all ?

I am now 73 and my wife of 15 years is 52 (there are no children involved)
Some advice in dealing with Thai Immigration
Both you and your wife dress smartly and wear gold - Thais respect outward signs of wealth
Speak some Thai – sawadee kap, mia yai sip hah pi, she hah sip song, me jet sip sam, speak Thai nid noi, fontock mak mak, kop khun kap.
Ask which EPL team they support and when they tell you – laugh – then say you also support the same team even if it is Man U smile.png
Learn to kiss arse and jump high and NEVER NEVER lose your cool and start thumping the table.
Always remember you are an Alien and a guest in THEIR country.
They’ll give you the runaround to justify their own self importance, keep their job, rip you off and let you know that you are little more than “shit on their shoe” and very lucky to be allowed to stay in their wonderful country.

When you are married abroad immigration wants you to officially register the marriage (not that you marry again) with an local amphur, in case you want an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai.

Procedure is as follows:

- you have the marriage certificate legalized by your embassy (you do not get an affirmation letter, that is for people who need to get married. You are already legally married).

- you have the document translated into Tha

- you have the document legalized by the Thai Minitry of Foreign Affairs

- you make copies of everything for later use, such as if immigration ask for it

- you go to any amphur in Thailand to have the marriage recorded into the Thai marriage register. You now get a khor rhor 22, where people married in Thailand get a khor rhor 2 form.

With a visa there is no requirement to hold proof of onward travel. You do need it when you travel without a visa.

• Like 2

When you are married abroad immigration wants you to officially register the marriage (not that you marry again) with an local amphur, in case you want an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai. 

Procedure is as follows:

- you have the marriage certificate legalized by your embassy (you do not get an affirmation letter, that is for people who need to get married. You are already legally married).

- you make copies of everything for later use, such as if immigration ask for it

- you go to any amphur in Thailand to have the marriage recorded into the Thai marriage register. You now get a khor rhor 22, where people married in Thailand get a khor rhor 2 form.

With a visa there is no requirement to hold proof of onward travel. You do need it when you travel without a visa.

I was married to a Thai in another country. I contacted my home country embassy and asked if the marriage should be registered. They did not have any requirement nor any interest. So my home country's embassy would never issue such a letter. I have been arrived 18 years, staying on a O visa. Have never had to open a Thai bank account for this.....outside bank accounts, investments, and income are sufficient. I have also never been told I needed to register the marriage in thailand. I see no advantage to having the marriage registered here when the Thai government officials accept my marriage certificate from a third country

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you are over fifty then you would be better off getting a "retirement visa". The downside of this is the requirement to have 800,000 Baht in the bank but the upside is you don't need to wait for immigration to come to your house every year to confirm you are married and living together (as shown in your documents and photographs). Also should you divorce your visa is still valid.

Nonsense

They only visit your home for the first extension.

The extensions have to be approved by the regional office is the reason for the under consideration period.

True, but my information is that each new extension application is regarded as "new" and that means every year

Nonsense

The extensions have to be approved by the regional office is the reason for the under consideration period.

True, but my information is that each new extension application is regarded as "new" and that means every year

Unless you are speaking from personal knowledge the "information" is nonsensesmile.png

You have to present basically the same paperwork and financials each year but home check is normally only made on first extension - if it is actually made at all.

For extensions of stay from immigration a KR22 indicating your foreign registered marriage has been recorded at a District Office in Thailand is a normal requirement now and most embassies can will will help to do this.

When you are married abroad immigration wants you to officially register the marriage (not that you marry again) with an local amphur, in case you want an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai.

Procedure is as follows:

Absolute rubbish - since when do Embassies legalize marriage certificates

The Affirmation from the Embassy is to make sure that the certificate is real deal and not a KaoSan Road forgery

Furthermore I've travelled in and out of Thailand 51 times by plane, minibus and train and I have NEVER been asked for proof of onward travel.

Edited by Papadragon

Procedure is as follows:

Absolute rubbish -

Are you going to explain, exactly, what is believed to be "rubbish" ?

Absolute rubbish - since when do Embassies legalize marriage certificates

The Affirmation from the Embassy is to make sure that the certificate is real deal and not a KaoSan Road forgery

Furthermore I've travelled in and out of Thailand 51 times by plane, minibus and train and I have NEVER been asked for proof of onward travel.

1. All the time,

2. Affirmations to get married to a Thai is just that, free to get married, it's not a certificate.

3. People travel in and out every day without having to show proof of onward travel, 99.999 % of them are not married to a Thai.

Nonsense

Unless you are speaking from personal knowledge the "information" is nonsensesmile.png

I am speaking from personal knowledge. The information came from an immigration official at Kap Choeng. His advice was to stick with the retirement visa for this reason.

I note comments from Ubonjoe so I am now wondering who to believe. The experience of Ubonjoe seems to be a good guide so next year I will probably go for the marriage visa myself and get my 400k back.

Nonsense

Unless you are speaking from personal knowledge the "information" is nonsensexsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

I am speaking from personal knowledge. The information came from an immigration official at Kap Choeng. His advice was to stick with the retirement visa for this reason.

I note comments from Ubonjoe so I am now wondering who to believe. The experience of Ubonjoe seems to be a good guide so next year I will probably go for the marriage visa myself and get my 400k back.

What is being said is actually "hearsay" . Unless someone can report actually receiving annual visits from immigration officers as part of the yearly application process for an extension of stay the post remains nonsense!

• Like 2

Of course the immigration officer told you that because it is less paperwork for them. But they are not the ones that have to show double the money the bank or 25K additional income.

To me the additional paperwork and another trip to immigration is not worth the additional money needed. Plus I personally feel that it is the proper extension for me because I am here to live with my family not for retirement.

In reality we never had a home visit. For the first extension immigration gave us an envelope with a letter in it to the local police asking them to confirm our relationship. We then went to the police station and met with the chief. We ended up with 3 letters one from the chief and 2 policemen that knew us in an envelope that my wife delivered to immigration.

After that no more letters or even a hint of a visit for the next 5 extensions.

An additional proof that no visits are made would the amount of time it took for the regional headquarters in Korat to approve my most recent extension. It was received and approved 8 days from the date we did the application. Last year it was about 14 days.

• Like 1

Of course the immigration officer told you that because it is less paperwork for them. But they are not the ones that have to show double the money the bank or 25K additional income.

To me the additional paperwork and another trip to immigration is not worth the additional money needed. Plus I personally feel that it is the proper extension for me because I am here to live with my family not for retirement.

In reality we never had a home visit. For the first extension immigration gave us an envelope with a letter in it to the local police asking them to confirm our relationship. We then went to the police station and met with the chief. We ended up with 3 letters one from the chief and 2 policemen that knew us in an envelope that my wife delivered to immigration.

After that no more letters or even a hint of a visit for the next 5 extensions.

An additional proof that no visits are made would the amount of time it took for the regional headquarters in Korat to approve my most recent extension. It was received and approved 8 days from the date we did the application. Last year it was about 14 days.

Good information Ubonjoe. Many thanks for that. wai2.gif

• Like 1