Phuket's steamy underbelly is out on top

Lite Beer

who are they kidding, this shitty ping pong sex show sales people, are lined up to block the road when enter Bangla form both sides , and during all the walk down this street they jump on you to ask you to come for a show. for me is ok if they have this shows, but to bother every tourist that have a evning walk with it ,is a shame . Also this animals they stand there for make money take picture of seems like buisness as normal.

Am I the only one who has been to other beaches on Phuket? Patong sucks for the very reasons you just mentioned. But Kata, Kamala and Surin are beautiful and lacking the "Pattaya" aspects.

I agree. There are other beaches that are much nicer and don't have the seedy bars. I have tried quite a few of them and I have found some nice places.

However, the whole island of Phuket is overrun with a level of scams and corruption that I just don't want to deal with.

The last few times I went there were one hassle after another... I just don't need that shit when I'm on holiday.

I wouldn't waste my holiday time in Phuket if you paid for the trip.

Really? Besides the airport which is really not that expensive anyway if you travel the right way. Is 150 baht too much to get to the tourist areas 45-1hr away in a van? I think not. Last week I paid 270 baht to travel just over half an hr in a taxi in Bangkok (admitably tolls were included).

As for your quote "However, the whole island of Phuket is overrun with a level of scams and corruption that I just don't want to deal with" is such bulls@@t ! Funny I live up north of the island and as yet have never been scammed, burgled, or beaten up. As for corruption my friend, name me a place in Thailand that isn't corrupt?

@ Old Croc

"While tourist numbers are growing in Phuket, the crime rate is also climbing.According to police statistics, there were 2,737 crimes in 2006, rising steadily to 4,758 in 2009 and 8,201 last year. So far this year the number of cases has already reached 8,611." - there is now 3 to 4 times the amount of crime on Phuket, than there was in 2006. (even if these figures are to be believed)

These figure represent a big increase, in a relatively short space of time. These increases are over 6 years, not 40 years.

Whilst the tourist arrivals may have increased, as we know, they are mainly package holiday makers, so, I don't think they are the cause of such a sharp increase in crime.

In my opinion, the sharp rise in crime here shows an inept and extremely corrupt police department, an increase in drug abuse and the changing demographic of tourist spending less money on the island.

I can't see the above changing anytime soon, so, I can only see crime getting worse here in the future, and crime is something that we are all at risk of becoming a victim.

I will admit that the drug problem in Patong has grown to unbelievable proportions. Is that not the case though with every red light district around the world? Take Kings Cross in Sydney, since 2006 as you use numbers for, the violence, murders, bashings and drug use has made the place a cesspit of a venue. I'm sure this would be the case with other like venues around the world. Perhaps if some of these aggrieved people who come to Phuket (Patong) showed a bit more humility and respect to the Thai people many would not get in such trouble? Just my thoughts....

Rather than compare different countries, let's compare Phuket to other places in Thailand, for more accuracy.

Basically, between the 2006 and 2009 - crime on Phuket doubled.

Then, between 2009 and 2012 - crime on Phuket doubled, yet again.

What other places in Thailand could match these crime statistics, and these are the crime statisitics they are actually releasing to the public, not to mention the many crimes that go unreported here.

I would be surprised if even Pattaya could lay claim to fame for a quadrupling of crime in the space of 6 years.

You pick Patong, but the article states "Phuket." Much of Phuket is not so touristic, inhabited by locals and expats, so that's a lot of crime in the main tourist areas. That mean a lot of tourists have been victims of crime here.

As for tourists showing "more humility" here - that' getting harder as the rip offs, scams and overcharging increase, to make up for the loss of income because of the new demographic of tourists coming here now.

@ Old Croc

"While tourist numbers are growing in Phuket, the crime rate is also climbing.According to police statistics, there were 2,737 crimes in 2006, rising steadily to 4,758 in 2009 and 8,201 last year. So far this year the number of cases has already reached 8,611." - there is now 3 to 4 times the amount of crime on Phuket, than there was in 2006. (even if these figures are to be believed)

These figure represent a big increase, in a relatively short space of time. These increases are over 6 years, not 40 years.

Whilst the tourist arrivals may have increased, as we know, they are mainly package holiday makers, so, I don't think they are the cause of such a sharp increase in crime.

In my opinion, the sharp rise in crime here shows an inept and extremely corrupt police department, an increase in drug abuse and the changing demographic of tourist spending less money on the island.

I can't see the above changing anytime soon, so, I can only see crime getting worse here in the future, and crime is something that we are all at risk of becoming a victim.

I will admit that the drug problem in Patong has grown to unbelievable proportions. Is that not the case though with every red light district around the world? Take Kings Cross in Sydney, since 2006 as you use numbers for, the violence, murders, bashings and drug use has made the place a cesspit of a venue. I'm sure this would be the case with other like venues around the world. Perhaps if some of these aggrieved people who come to Phuket (Patong) showed a bit more humility and respect to the Thai people many would not get in such trouble? Just my thoughts....

Look at the Gold Coast!

@ Old Croc

Look at the Gold Coast!

As mentioned, has the Gold Coast of Australia seen a quadrupling of crime in the last 6 years - I doubt it.

Edited by NamKangMan

What a load of dross. I went to Phuket in 1991, and the sex shows were alive and well there then. Now, there are even more. Phuket is a steaming turd in the Andaman, and anyone that has spent anytime there knows that Patong is no different than Pattaya. It's a shame, as there are some nice spots there, but most of the comments by the authorities are just usual BS.

So which is it, a "steaming turd" or a place with "some nice places"?

Like many, you confuse Patong, one over built, seedy, smelly beach town with all of Phuket, an island the size of Singapore. Bang Tao, Mai Khao, Nai Yang, Surin, Kamala, Karon, Kata, Kata Noi, Ya Nui, Nai Harn, make up 90% of the west coast and are all nice beaches which cannot accurately be described as part of your "steaming turd". And lets not forget about all the other areas of Phuket that are not Patong such as Rawai, Chalong, Kathu, Phuket Town, Chang Talay, and Thalang. In addition Cape Panwa, Cape Promtheap, Khao Pra Teaw Wildlife Reserve and Sirinat National Marine Park are lovely places and rarely visited by tourists.

Couldn't agree more. I remember how much I enjoyed taking my rented motorbike from my hotel to Kamala through the absolutely beautiful winding roads going uphill and downhill with the ocean by the side. Karon was a bit farther but the ride and the beach was lovely while being different. The adrenaline rush of doing bunjee jumping, jet skiing and zooming to Kamala on the motorbike, all in a day, was incredible!

Though I think I was lucky to have avoided the various motorbike/jet skii scams etc - considering the horror stories, wouldn't dare now.

• Like 1

However, he did concede that ''nightlife, scams and illegal activities are possibly going on in crowded areas such as Patong, which have a different style to other eco-tourism spots around Phuket''.

POSSIBLY GOING ON? POSSIBLY?...maybe? Gee that is sure a great "concession" for him to make...wouldn't want to offend the mafia now would he?

Or any money making scam he may have an interest in

Good all of you especially Mr Toad stay away we don't need any of you ... still loving it after all these years ..

It's yours. I am retired in Chiang Mai. I will go elsewhere as I have read too much negative about rip offs in Phuket and Sumui. Puket's loss or mine? Yea, I know, I am a drop in the ocean but then, so is an area that allows widespread mistreatment.

LMFAO !!! Nothing bad happens in your holier than thou city of Chiang Mai ha? I will help you out a little there pal to re-jog your memory. Remember these?

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1771

http://chiangmaibest.com/scams/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-from-news/363674/holidays-from-hell-in-thailand

Did not say Chiang Mai is without fault, how many Ambassadors have called attention to the tourist treatment in Chiang Mai. Holier than thou......not what I addressed.

Good all of you especially Mr Toad stay away we don't need any of you ... still loving it after all these years ..

It's yours. I am retired in Chiang Mai. I will go elsewhere as I have read too much negative about rip offs in Phuket and Sumui. Puket's loss or mine? Yea, I know, I am a drop in the ocean but then, so is an area that allows widespread mistreatment.

LMFAO !!! Nothing bad happens in your holier than thou city of Chiang Mai ha? I will help you out a little there pal to re-jog your memory. Remember these?

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1771

http://chiangmaibest.com/scams/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-from-news/363674/holidays-from-hell-in-thailand

Did not say Chiang Mai is without fault, how many Ambassadors have called attention to the tourist treatment in Chiang Mai. Holier than thou......not what I addressed.

Phuket is being run by criminals, for criminals - the traditional western tourist market has finally woken up to that fact and are detouring Phuket for other destinations in Thailand, and neighbouring countries.

Phuket was always going to get to this point - it's there now.