Organic Thai rice 'a better option than govt payments'

webfact

True. A Crossbow is a better option than an aircraft carrier and closing a hotel better than giving lots of subsidies when tourists are staying away.

The problem is of course not the subsidy but the fact that all big landowners are taking the government payments and the farmer does get a small tip. But the same happens in the US and Europe where even Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles get millions in farming subsidies. Simply because they own the land. Real farmers have to cope with the fact that they get screwed anyhow by big business and old money.

The farmer beside our land explained that a large part of the year he works every second day.

The first he stays at home to recover from the effects of the chemicals he sprayed the day before.

He grows for selling and these products will end up in your dish somehow.

Make your own opinion

Well done, thats the way in the right direction. I wonder about people saying, that organig is a worldwide scam. They was never on a organic farm, only talking bad, get money from Monsanto? It's right, it should be hardly controlled, and wrongdoing should be punishes with jail. Maybe I'am wrong, but I remember to read, that 2000 Farmers die every year on the poisons they use. And I read about one, who change to organic, after his family go sick. Chemical not needed for our food, that is the real wordwide scam. smile.png

What does Monsanto have to do with Thai rice?

Nothing?

Organic is for the most part a joke. Test the soil.

Probably right. What it should probably say is: "Raised with no added chemicals or pesticides". At this point, the best we can hope for is least amount contaminates. Hopefully, if the soil is left alone and no chemicals or pesticides are used for 7 years, and the surrounding land isn't causing chemicals to leech in, there will be "organic" produce available.

BTW, don't trust anyone who is selling "organic" produce. For it to be "organic" it must be deemed so by an organization that has tested the soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product. A few years ago there was someone selling oranges in Chiang Mai. In one basket he had oranges for 20 baht a kilo and in the other he has a sign "organic oranges" at 40 baht a kilo. I asked to see his certification confirming his produce had undergone inspection to be deemed "organic". He looked at me as though he was a martian watching two frogs playing ping pong. Someone must have told him if he just put a sign stating "organic" he could sell his contaminated produce for double the price.

So based upon that one isolated experience you condemn every organic product in the world. I had someone lie and cheat me, so should I assume that every person I meet will do the same?

You yourself tarlk about "organization that has tested soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product" ... i.e., properly certified organic ... so why do you in the same post say "don't trust anyone selling organic produce?

As with any product, the buyer must educate themselves to be a smart shopper. Organics is no different ... and with packaged organic products one can look for authentic certification statements and seals.

The article was about Thailand and the comment pertained to Thailand. The warning was to be cautious about what people say and to check things out. And, there are some products that receive the organic label in Thailand. Brown rice produced under one of the King's projects for example, and that is definitely more more authentic than a piece of cardboard with the word "organic" written in magic marker. Get off your soap box and read what was written before you write such a ridiculous response.From your moniker, I think you should lay off the herb for a while.

Again you speak from ignorance and misassumptions. My nickname comes came about because I have been in the medicinal herb business for almost forty years and founded Herb Pharm, one of the first and largest certified organic herb farms and manufacturing facilities in the USA. No one is more qualified to talk about the facts of organic agriculture ... and I have much experience with organic products in Thailand.

Well done, thats the way in the right direction. I wonder about people saying, that organig is a worldwide scam. They was never on a organic farm, only talking bad, get money from Monsanto? It's right, it should be hardly controlled, and wrongdoing should be punishes with jail. Maybe I'am wrong, but I remember to read, that 2000 Farmers die every year on the poisons they use. And I read about one, who change to organic, after his family go sick. Chemical not needed for our food, that is the real wordwide scam. smile.png

Nothing?

Monsanto is spending millions of dollars here in Thailand ... and billions world-wide ... indoctrinating the Thai government and farmers to grow genetically engineered rice and other crops. And Monsanto is the largest supplier of synthetic pesticides in the world (Roundup being their most famous/infamous product).

These GMO rice strains are patented and owned only my Monsanto ... and thus the farmers who grow Monsanto's GMO rice cannot use their harvested rice to replant new crops without paying Monsanto for the right to do so. Monsanto has sued and won cases in the USA where by a non-GMO corn farmers crops were contaminated by pollen from a nearby GMO corn farm and because Monsanto actually owns the GMO genes they said the non-GMO farmers could not sell their corn nor replant it without paying Monsanto. These cases are facts and easily found on Google.

Eventually all corn farms in the USA will be contaminated by pollen drift from GMO corn farms and Monsanto ... according to the courts ... will own genetic rights to it all ... and all corn farmers will not be able to replant their own corn without paying Monsanto because it not actually the framers' corn anymore ... it's Monsanto's. And remember, I'm talking about farmers who do not want to grow GMO corn but who's fields were contaminated from pollen drift from GMO corn farms. "Upps ... Sorry about that pollen drift, but now it's Monsanto's corn, not yours ... so, farmer Joe, pay up or get sued by a multi-billion dollar multi-national company. And guess who wins?

Nothing?

Monsanto is spending millions of dollars here in Thailand ... and billions world-wide ... indoctrinating the Thai government and farmers to grow genetically engineered rice and other crops. And Monsanto is the largest supplier of synthetic pesticides in the world (Roundup being their most famous/infamous product).

These GMO rice strains are patented and owned only my Monsanto ... and thus the farmers who grow Monsanto's GMO rice cannot use their harvested rice to replant new crops without paying Monsanto for the right to do so. Monsanto has sued and won cases in the USA where by a non-GMO corn farmers crops were contaminated by pollen from a nearby GMO corn farm and because Monsanto actually owns the GMO genes they said the non-GMO farmers could not sell their corn nor replant it without paying Monsanto. These cases are facts and easily found on Google.

Eventually all corn farms in the USA will be contaminated by pollen drift from GMO corn farms and Monsanto ... according to the courts ... will own genetic rights to it all ... and all corn farmers will not be able to replant their own corn without paying Monsanto because it not actually the framers' corn anymore ... it's Monsanto's. And remember, I'm talking about farmers who do not want to grow GMO corn but who's fields were contaminated from pollen drift from GMO corn farms. "Upps ... Sorry about that pollen drift, but now it's Monsanto's corn, not yours ... so, farmer Joe, pay up or get sued by a multi-billion dollar multi-national company. And guess who wins?

As yet. GMO is banned in Thailand, and there is no GMO rice? So screw your vitriol. Thai rice is GMO free, and Monsanto handset hasn't yet legally sold any GMO seed in Thailand.

Right or wrong?

Nothing?

As yet. GMO is banned in Thailand, and there is no GMO rice? So screw your vitriol. Thai rice is GMO free, and Monsanto handset hasn't yet legally sold any GMO seed in Thailand.

Right or wrong?

Nice guy. I'm stating facts, but you appear to be the vitriolic poster here.

I know for a fact that GMO papayas are being grown in Thailand. I did not say that GMO rice is being grown in Thailand .... yet. However, Monsanto continues to lobby the Thai government and to encourage rice farmers to adopt GMO rice agriculture in Thailand.

Edited by HerbalEd