Thai Airforce expresses a wish to buy more Gripen jets

webfact

Actually, due to the relatively small size of Thailand, it doesn't need a longer range, faster fighter to defend its borders. The F-16 costs a lot more to own and operate including burning a lot more fuel. Yes it is faster and longer range, and can carry a much heavier payload of fuel and munitions, but again it was developed to defend the US and its borders and coastline which is a whole different situation. It's also not the latest and greatest of US fighters.

I think the Gripen is just right for Thailand, without any information as to whether Thailand needs more of them.

The lower purchase price and operating costs of the Gripen make sense. But for every one purchased, the is a need for a brown envelope spare parts, munitions, and pilot training etc. Over time those cost more than the plane.

The Gripen can get off the ground fast on a shorter field, is fast enough to scramble to the border, and is very maneuverable in close combat.

PS The US has a treaty to defend Thailand, and keeps assets in SE Asia at all times.

If you think a defense treaty with the US means anything, look at what happened after 1975. US had a defense treaty with Laos, and Vietnam, the treaty was not worth the paper it was written on. The same is happening in the middle east. If SS John Kerry come and tell you not to worry, we will defend you. Bend over, put your head between your leas and kiss your ass good by. coffee1.gif .

• Like 1

Thailand does not need more fighters however there are probably a few generals about to retire and they need their payout.

Indeed, this whole vaguely attributed mumble is just another way for certain people to tell Lockheed Martin, Dassault, Sukhoi and anyone else with a dog in this fight, that their brown envelopes need to be a tad fatter.

I guess my questions is WHY? Why does Thailand need these jets? Just to spend more money and tax people more? Are they anticipating an air strike in the near future?

So that all the Hi So's spoilt little brats can join the TAF & fly over the country with their friends in 'quick quick' Jets of course, no traffic up there so maybe safer than their Ferrari's on the roads don't you think?

I guess my questions is WHY? Why does Thailand need these jets? Just to spend more money and tax people more? Are they anticipating an air strike in the near future?

Most countries that are not expecting an attack have their airforces properly equipped, is there any reason for Thailand not to have the same protection?

Maybe the point is that buying these jets is not primarily a matter of military necessity.

I remeber seeing articles on the Russian jets supposedly better than F15 /F16 super hornest and Australai was concerned about Indonesia buying them... Until they crashed 3 with poor training.

I mean Thai Pilots being On the ball when Facebooks goes off on the Iphone? Come on get real!

Let's get a couple of things tidied up here for the sake of posterity... F15's and 16's are not Super Hornets nor were they ever termed as such...

The F/A-18F is designated the Super Hornet.. The RAAF also own their fare share of the 18A and 18B "Hornet" variants...

The F15 was termed the "strike eagle" whilst the F16 was termed "fighting falcon" - their Russian equivalents the Sukhoi Su-30 and 33. They're currently pushing the Su-35 which is a rebadged -27 with modifications much in the same way as their american cousins have done with the above mentioned fighter jets over the years...

The Australian Government kicked up a stink about the Indonesians to justify the acquisition of the the Super Hornets as a stop gap solution whilst Lockheed Martin got their shit together in sorting out the JSF F-35...

I remeber seeing articles on the Russian jets supposedly better than F15 /F16 super hornest and Australai was concerned about Indonesia buying them... Until they crashed 3 with poor training.

I mean Thai Pilots being On the ball when Facebooks goes off on the Iphone?  Come on get real!

Let's get a couple of things tidied up here for the sake of posterity... F15's and 16's are not Super Hornets nor were they ever termed as such...

The F/A-18F is designated the Super Hornet.. The RAAF also own their fare share of the 18A and 18B "Hornet" variants...

The F15 was termed the "strike eagle" whilst the F16 was termed "fighting falcon" - their Russian equivalents the Sukhoi Su-30 and 33. They're currently pushing the Su-35 which is a rebadged -27 with modifications much in the same way as their american cousins have done with the above mentioned fighter jets over the years...

The Australian Government kicked up a stink about the Indonesians to justify the acquisition of the the Super Hornets as a stop gap solution whilst Lockheed Martin got their shit together in sorting out the JSF F-35...

few minor details but my main focus is on the iPhones and Facebook which is where Thai concentration lies

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Arms and weapon organisation here is that of a thirld world country, buy some ammo here get some guns there, mixed up stuff like drives maintenance costs at astronomical high levels. They would done also a lot better having chosen the Dassault Rafaele. Saab is a struggeling company, if I remember it right, there was a chicken meat deal involved for the fighters buy, maybe this time time they trade mold rice for some more Gripen! Corruption at high leves

ls because the costs are to be paid by the tax payer!wai.giffacepalm.gifwai2.gif

All arms purchases are paid by the tax payer.

Most countries that are not expecting an attack have their airforces properly equipped, is there any reason for Thailand not to have the same protection?

Maybe the point is that buying these jets is not primarily a matter of military necessity.

Why do thailand need these jets, the same reason they need high speed trains, 30per cent graft.