How to catch or even kill a snake in my storage room

sawadee1947

since a few days (or weeks) my wife was shocked by a hissing sound probably of a snake. She is now afraid to open the door again. So am I. What can we do? Please don't tell me not to open the door again.... I would expect good advices and no bullshit.....

Hate snakes and spiders. Must be something wrong with my Psyche.

Did you actually see the snake? It's a good idea to ID the beast. Before the hunter becomes the hunted.

Help from locals is the ideal solution. Unless you want to call the rescue team.

Thanks God I live in a high rise apt... Sounds like a bad story before the bed time...

BTW, opening the cupboard doors might be a problem if she is aggressive. Keep the exit door open just in case one of you want to make a run for it...

Edited by ABCer

Seriously open the door - this too shall pass. It's probably gone by now on the hunt for food.

No need to kill a snake IMO, but worse case tell/ask the locals they are fearless and will capture and release.

BTW I don't like them either.

LOL, I have never seen a Thai capture a snake that wasn't bashed dozens of times with a stick first. Well there was the one time my teenage retarded (actually mentally retarded) brother in law caught a snake and put it in a wooden box he made. He proudly brought it to me because he had seen me catch and release snakes. Luckily it was just a golden tree snake. He was shocked at the reaction of the family and all the neighbors coming by to yell at him for doing something so crazy.

Here's one from a couple weeks ago. I'd just lifted the lid in so I could take a whiz, guess I woke the sucker up. Needless to say, I went out and watered the flowers....

Mac

He was cleaning your toilet.

Yes...good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never met a Thai snake that hissed. Might be a hissing beetle. They hiss real loud but not dangerous at all.

Although Cobras do not technically "hiss" that is a close approximation to the noises that they make, I have first hand experience of this.

There are various ways to catch and release common Thai snakes although if you are in a town/city there are plenty around you that will do so faster than you can learn on the job.

If you are keen to tackle the snake beware that some cobras spit so wear glasses.

• Like 1

More people get bitten when "interacting" with snakes than just leaving them be.

But you have a challenge there and maybe just cant let it be.

Saw a few posts how you put decent double sided sticky tape on the inside bottom floor a cardboard box about 18x 18 inches square and leave in a corner of the room or beside a wall where they are more likely to slither than in the centre of the room.

There are two entrance holes, one in each end of the box and near the side near the wall of the room.

The box seems to contain the snake a bit so when it thrashes around, it gets more "stuck up".

They do get stuck and there many pics to prove it.

"If" you want to release it, apply cooking oil and the sticky tape slowly lets go.

Be careful !!!

Edited by Jing Joe
  • Like 2

The conduit idea from OLD SAILOR35 is good and I have only caught carpet/python snakes this way.

They are very powerful and not so easy putting into a bag even as non-venemous as they are.

I would'nt trust handling a deady one in a bag, I'd kill it there and then.

Pouring boiling water on them in difficult places is effective but not instant apparently.

Rat shot in a .22 rifle is great indoors.

Here's one from a couple weeks ago. I'd just lifted the lid in so I could take a whiz, guess I woke the sucker up. Needless to say, I went out and watered the flowers....

Mac

That looks like a bum gun to me.

But, since I passed sixty and became a grumpy old bastard, my eyes have been playing tricks on me.unsure.png

• Like 1

Mac

good to see you keep that toilet nice and clean

understandable when the maid is scared of Cantones eating snakes in that toilet.

Mac

That looks like a bum gun to me.

But, since I passed sixty and became a grumpy old bastard, my eyes have been playing tricks on me.unsure.png alt=unsure.png>

Good try Mac. cheesy.gif but so's every one knows it is not a snake but "The Blob Fish, A slimy pink Australian fish which resembles a grumpy and obese old man with a bulbous nose has been voted the world's ugliest animal" ABC internet news.xphoto-thumb-18822.jpg,q_r=1379039841.pa

Edited by Jing Joe

Hate snakes and spiders....

Thanks God I live in a high rise apt...

don't rest so assuredly.... in Thailand, several species of snake & all spiders are quite adept climbers. xvampire.gif.pagespeed.ic.vfhQi83sql.web ....wink.png

That's true. I saw a snake climb up a 5 story building on an external drain pipe to the roof. It took him about 5 minutes. This was in downtown Bangkok.

• Like 1

Never met a Thai snake that hissed. Might be a hissing beetle. They hiss real loud but not dangerous at all.

Hate to tell you this but monocled cobras stand and hiss at you, I know because they have done it to me. almost stepped next to one until I heard it hissing. Scared the crap out of me, I was just walking down the footpath next to the house and didnt expect a cobra to be there, the hissing saved me or I would have been bittten as I was just able to step away in time. Snakes hiss, better believe it.

• Like 1