How to catch or even kill a snake in my storage room

sawadee1947

Never met a Thai snake that hissed. Might be a hissing beetle. They hiss real loud but not dangerous at all.

Hate to tell you this but monocled cobras stand and hiss at you, I know because they have done it to me. almost stepped next to one until I heard it hissing. Scared the crap out of me, I was just walking down the footpath next to the house and didnt expect a cobra to be there, the hissing saved me or I would have been bittten as I was just able to step away in time. Snakes hiss, better believe it.

Puffing and hissing are not all cobras do. Cobras are elapids that use their poison in two different ways. Some cobras bite their prey with their short, immovable fangs. Others spit venom at the eyes of their victims. “Spitting cobras” can spray their venom as far as 8 feet (2.4 meters).

you were lucky!!

Don't know why you need to kill the snake ? But when i am home in Queensland ( which has the 10 most venomous snakes in the world) i have a simple way to catch them.

I have a piece of 20mm electrical conduit about 6 ft long, thread a length of rope , say 4mm thick, through the pipe then double it back leaving a loop at the end, knot the held end. Then just approach the snake , let it put its head through the loop, pull it tight and there you have the snake firmly on the end................easy .

mate, we do something similar for the poisoness ones, its called a stick and its bloody long and heavy so one blow does the trick.

Open the door a small amount and spray some flyspray or Baygon surface spray in the room.

The snake will vacact the room post haste.

It has worked for me in Australia and here in Thailand

My wife tends to use the whole can which is the cause of half the air pollution here whistling.gif

Never met a Thai snake that hissed. Might be a hissing beetle. They hiss real loud but not dangerous at all.

Hate to tell you this but monocled cobras stand and hiss at you, I know because they have done it to me. almost stepped next to one until I heard it hissing. Scared the crap out of me, I was just walking down the footpath next to the house and didnt expect a cobra to be there, the hissing saved me or I would have been bittten as I was just able to step away in time. Snakes hiss, better believe it.

You are correct. I googled it and saw the monocled cobra hiss. Around my house they just slithered away from me not making any noise. Had problems with a family Malayan pit vipers who hung around at night on my back porch area. Thai's call nua kaplagh or something like that. They were all quiet. The beetles however made a lot of noise and my dog came and got me because she didn't know if she should eat it or kill it.

You are correct. I googled it and saw the monocled cobra hiss. Around my house they just slithered away from me not making any noise. Had problems with a family Malayan pit vipers who hung around at night on my back porch area. Thai's call nua kaplagh or something like that. They were all quiet. The beetles however made a lot of noise and my dog came and got me because she didn't know if she should eat it or kill it.

the danger of the pit viper is that they just sit there calmly and move slowly if at all. until they are angry or afraid and then they strike like lightning. and they are deadly

I do battle once or twice a month with cobras, many hiss when hidden behind something. he spitting cobra has the "U" shaped design on the back of the head. Careful with this one...

Never met a Cobra then. The hiss is hair raising.

Having said that, I'd be pissed off too at the sight of some Indiana Jones type ready to take a swipe at me with a machete.

To the OP. Open the door just as you're about to turn in for the night. I promise it will not be there in the morning.

the danger of the pit viper is that they just sit there calmly and move slowly if at all. until they are angry or afraid and then they strike like lightning. and they are deadly

Then don't frighten it or piss it off huh.png Just move 'slowly' away from it.

Then don't frighten it or piss it off huh.png Just move 'slowly' away from it.

the last one in our yard was so well camoflaged and immobile that I literally thought it was an old stick until I got within a meter of it.!!

I would suggest calling the police and ask for an animal control unit to come by. They catch the snake, and I've been told they then take it somewhere to be "milked" for its venom (to be used in making anti-venom), and release it safely in an unpopulated area. This way, someone's life may be saved, in addition to sparing you the negative karma from killing the snake. Why kill a snake, if it can benefit humanity more while it's alive? I don't like snakes much, but they do help keep the rodent population in check.

Don't know why you need to kill the snake ? But when i am home in Queensland ( which has the 10 most venomous snakes in the world) i have a simple way to catch them.

I have a piece of 20mm electrical conduit about 6 ft long, thread a length of rope , say 4mm thick, through the pipe then double it back leaving a loop at the end, knot the held end. Then just approach the snake , let it put its head through the loop, pull it tight and there you have the snake firmly on the end................easy .

This has merit, but not so much with a striking and spitting cobra.

How often do you check your mobile phone when in a pocket, probably frequently.

Why, because the slight sensation of movement might be an incoming call - the level of reward "the call" is worth the effort in checking to see vs the risk of a missed call.

With a snake that has found a nice safe "home" in your shed where it might be laying eggs your risk of having one angry mother or many small snakes is great vs the effort to remove that threat from your life. The snake does not care about balance in nature and your good will to all living things, if you get too close to it it will strike. It has nothing to loose when injecting venom.

The use of bug-sprays will kill plenty of flies, spiders and make the enviroment a worst place for your to breathe - some of those Thai bug-sprays are bad for humans too!

There are other ways to kill rats, even capture and release if you seek to spread their vermin kind on others sad.png

But when a snake takes a fancy to your space the risk to you, your family and pets increase many fold. Also living in your shed increases the risk to kids and elderly living close by.

If your snake goes away and a child dies from a surprise snake bite three houses along your soi - just how will you feel?

Not your fault?

In our village it is simply common sense and self-preservation to remove any threat, Kellbacks and the like are just taken out of the village, cobras are on the kill on sight list - they are dangerous to people that don't know the danger or can not see them.

Would you allow a tiger or rouge elephant to reside in your shed just because it could?

Then why not take responsibly for the safety of those around you and remove the threat.

Catch and release in a safe place or kill - the choice is yours - but doing nothing and letting the problem wonder around your neighborhood is not being a good neighbor.

If you live in Bangkok, here is some helpful advice...

Give Sompop at call at +66 (0)89 043 8455.

He is a nice older Thai man that will come to you house and catch whatever snake you have and take it away. He will only charge you for his taxi ride (but it would be good to tip him a couple of hundred baht for his troubles)

I had him come catch a little green viper in my yard. I don't like snakes at all, and poisonous ones even less. This guy is fearless...

He caught it with his bare hands and stuffed it into a plastic bottle, put on the top and that was that. Took him about 5 minutes.

My gf has a many pronged spear head placed on a broom handle. I had similar devices in Australia for many years for snorkelling, called it a gidgie. Aka Hawaiian sling.

A neighbour used hers to kill a small cobra that nearly bit her.

Hate snakes and spiders. Must be something wrong with my Psyche.

Did you actually see the snake? It's a good idea to ID the beast. Before the hunter becomes the hunted.

Help from locals is the ideal solution. Unless you want to call the rescue team.

Thanks God I live in a high rise apt... Sounds like a bad story before the bed time...

BTW, opening the cupboard doors might be a problem if she is aggressive. Keep the exit door open just in case one of you want to make a run for it...

its a snake... not a lion... lol

Edited by x0r1987

Another great way to catch snakes--- buy the knitted woven yarn bird netting in 4metre x 4 metre bundles.

Cut it into 1 metre wide lengths and lay each one preferably beside walls where snakes may pass.

The mesh size is about 30mm.

They sure get tangled in it but watch out they can be cranky.

• 7 months later...

If you live in Bangkok, here is some helpful advice...

Give Sompop at call at +66 (0)89 043 8455.

He is a nice older Thai man that will come to you house and catch whatever snake you have and take it away. He will only charge you for his taxi ride (but it would be good to tip him a couple of hundred baht for his troubles)

I had him come catch a little green viper in my yard. I don't like snakes at all, and poisonous ones even less. This guy is fearless...

He caught it with his bare hands and stuffed it into a plastic bottle, put on the top and that was that. Took him about 5 minutes.

With the amount of snake problems on this forum there should be a pinned list of snake catchers contact numbers.