More than 100,000 foreigners staying illegally in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" use the 500 Baht fee scheme to help attract ‘quality’ tourists to Thailand and tackle the problem of foreigners staying in the country illegally."

Quality tourists won't even notice, but this won't ATTRACT anyone.

Also this is so low that the un-quality backpackers will just pay.

The true scum tourists won't notice it a bit either, and this will not affect them.

And unless this is applied to visa overstay research and actual manhunts

for overstayers after a certain point it will do jack squat about the illegal people.

This files under aggravation or nuisance, not any of the above fantasy reasons.

Of course it WILL create a nice little way to skim money

and slide back handers to department heads,

and keep the happy graft cycle going.

Presumably, this means that all persons re-entering the country after a "visa run" will be, as usual, classified as 'tourists' and be expected to pay B500?

Visa runners, by the very nature of their activity as 'perpetual tourists', should benefit from a 1000 baht 'entrance fee' with an escalation factor, ie, 2nd visa run = 2000 baht, 3rd visa run = 3000 baht, 4th visa run = 4000 baht, etc., etc..

Right, that's them sorted. Now, what about them bloody Burmese construction workers, eh?

Not that all the moaning & groaning aren't justified, but the thais behind this idea probably see this as free money. Q: If this is imposed, will it really have any impact on tourism, any at all? If so, WHO will be deterred from coming by it? Moreover, in a year or two, the outrage over it will have moved on to some other current scam. This'll just be "official": after all, why should the street scammers make all the money?!

In the Land of Scams, this is "opportunity". If you're actually in the thai decision chain, it's probably much harder to be arguing against this than to be arguing for it.

Officials and Government should be emabarrassed. Simply means they are not doing their job properly. If they follow up on illegal immigrants there is no reason to charge the 500Bt fee. Then again the latter is more simple for these lazy officials who can all get a share in their own pockets

If they wish to attract "quality tourist" how about radical idea of providing "quality experience"? Start by cleaning house, literally and figuratively. Place is filthy, throw garbage everywhere.... then if farang drop butt, fine him/her 2000. Clean police department up so that when the QT's get ripped off by local jet ski or whatever, they are dealt with harshly. Rule of law: what a concept!

Funny they forgot to go into detail just what these "new measures" would be to prevent overstays.... perhaps because they have no idea and it was just brain farts, like the rest of what they pass off as "ideas"?

There are millions of illegal workers in Thailand.

But they are slaves to the rich and corrupt here so will not be mentioned.

I would argue they are far more likely to commit crime and be a problem for the authorities than John Smith from England who has got a bit beery and carried away and overstayed his tourist visa for a couple of days.

As to be expected from you a chance to bash. There is a difference between an illegal worker and an overstay. An overstay had a visa to begin with.

Not really surprised at the 100.000 figure for overstay. It is a beautiful country with friendly people.

I would be surprised if the figure was 100,000 overstays in Burma.

I thought they introduced the Elite card to entice quality tourists,

and we all know what a great success that turn out to be.

This bht 500 a time is just away to extort any tourists who want

to come here,many will not fuss about it,but its the principle of

it,and is this going to go on top of the Bht500 they were talking

about charging to cover medical expenses for all tourists entering

the Kingdom.

regards Worgeordie

A Farang is a milk cow for the Thai economy.

Every country in the world will be happy when farang come for holiday.

The Thai economy is for 60% depending from the touristindustry.

The quality of the service is low except the 5-star hotels, but they count European rates.

I should the entrance to Thailand easier with visa 90 days and do not count 500 baht entrance fee.

The explanation that farang have to pay for healthcare is bullshit, because farang pays in a hospital same

prices as in Europe.

Stimulate the tourist industry, because it gives a lot employment and fight the cheating taxi-drivers, jetski-rental, bus-drivers and corrupt police-officers.

The tourist want quality of their stay and don't need theme-parks. Concentrate on the Chinese because they are going to come for holiday with millions.

Think about your future over 20 years, because tourists are oly coming temporarely.

My view is opposite.

I have a feeling that the main reason why Farang is here to to milk the Thai people, especially the one with big tits.

I have no doubt that the majority in the kingdom illegally is a huge portion of the labor force.

Without the illegals, who's going to build homes, clean homes, and do the jobs that most thai's don't want to do?

I think if you got rid of all the illegals, it wouldn't change the number of westerners so much as it would change

the number of below minimum wage workers and those that work the streets.

Easy for those from the neighboring countries to blend in, but not so easy for the westerners.

Even those from India that are loan sharks seem to blend in quite well.

Maybe they should follow Obama's lead and give all illegals legal status, driver's licenses

and the right to vote. ha! laugh.png

They want to charge 500 baht to let in the quality tourist.Is wasnt long about that they charged 500 baht to leave which they still do but it is included in your ticket.Do it it is great make it 2000 baht each way I do not care.Round up the 100000 overstayers get them out,and then the 2 million crims that will solve a lot off problems..I will go and sit it on the balcony with Lady Pla and look about a kilometre away down Naklua Rd and see the new block of 3 blocks of Condos being built.60% of the bars have gone they are getting rated out.But the one thing I get happy about is the people that are going to move into those Condos will be quality and I love quality,not a conviction among the lot of them.

If they want rid of farang overstayers, declare an amnesty for 90 days, then after that make the daily fine unlimited. There's people here that are happy to pay the 20,000 baht on exit and overstay by years. They judge the risk of being caught against the aggro of getting visas. If the fine was unlimited, they'd leave. The sane one's would anyway.

So instead of a policy to deal with this problem, they'll punish all the honest people with a 500 baht charge.

Absurd

I have to say, this makes perfect sense.

500 baht per tourist, clap2.gif

Lets see all the greedy little piggy's sniffing out their share, so much for stopping corruption.

If the police and immigration did their job maybe the number of illegal overstays would be lower

YEP - 500 Baht is just 'Tea Money' for the Immigration folks. The overstays bring in more money than most Thais, so are a boon to the economy, not a hinderance. Another point - if one believes statistics - the 100,000 takes the official count of long stay western foreigners to over 10% of the population. Add in foreign children and that number increases even more.

Some day, Thailand's government will realize that foreign residents provide a very large income and support many businesses that would otherwise fail.

How many restaurants, beauty parlors and small stores are indirectly supported by foreign husbands and boyfriends - whether on long stay visas or on overstay..??

Besides, the over stay fine is cheap and apparently has no other repercussions.

If they want rid of farang overstayers, declare an amnesty for 90 days, then after that make the daily fine unlimited. There's people here that are happy to pay the 20,000 baht on exit and overstay by years. They judge the risk of being caught against the aggro of getting visas. If the fine was unlimited, they'd leave. The sane one's would anyway.

So instead of a policy to deal with this problem, they'll punish all the honest people with a 500 baht charge.

Absurd

Why can't Farang follow the law in Thailand.

I am sure Farang will be very happy and accommodating if Thais overstay in your country.

Ministry of Health is still wondering who in the hell invited the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Thai Police to their meeting about a proposed medical fee.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson from the Ministry of Endangered Geckos and Goldfish has also weighed in favorably on the proposed tourist medical fee.

Absurd

Why can't Farang follow the law in Thailand.

I am sure Farang will be very happy and accommodating if Thais overstay in your country.

I am not sure where he gets these numbers from. And if there are 100k over stayed, why do they think 500 baht entry is going to change anything?

It took a while, but finally somebody in the government came to the conclusion that their current visa policies forces people to do many visa runs, but it does not bring any money in for Thailand. The neighbouring countries are very happy with the revenue.

But instead of changing the visa regulations letting the tourists stay in Thailand and spend their money here, they thought of this terrific new policy to charge 500 baht upon every entry.

We don't want backpackers, because we don't want the small guesthouses and local tour guides make money. If the little businesses make too much money they might get too much power and that's a threat for the elite.

And when the smaller businesses go out of business the quality tourists have no choice to pick a cheaper option to reduce holiday expenses.

Yes, it's only 500 baht.

If the money would go directly in all peoples pockets so that the whole country shares revenue of tourism and not only those living in tourist areas, would not be a bad idea. BUt it will likely never reach the 'normal' people.

The officers at the borders will be very happy with it. Because people arriving at the borders/ airports generally don't have Thai baht. They might have US dollars or euro. No problem. 20 dollar will do. That's 600 baht, 100 baht straight to the officer's pockets.

Same like they e.g. do for the visas on arrival in Laos. In that case it's more than 100 baht loss if you decide to pay in baht instead of dollars. The funny thing is that in Laos you can't even pay with their own currency.

Sorry for this off-topic post. Back to the topic.

Charge 500 baht upon every entry will increase overstaying. Not that I've ever overstayed in Thailand, but having to pay more upon entry would make the choice only easier to do so.

If they only had as much brains as baht...

Interesting to see the progress on this matter. Near as I can tell, it began with Dr Sirichai Silpa-archa complaining that uninsured tourists were costing his hospital (and others by implication) too much money. He wanted the tourists to be required to get health insurance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661880-phuket-opinion-health-insurance-for-tourists-at-7-eleven/

The public health ministry apparently agreed somewhat, and began talking of plans to require tourists to pay 500 Baht, presumably for health care costs: "This money could be sent to the Finance Ministry and a specially assigned committee could allocate it to related agencies including the Public Health Ministry, which spends up to Bt300 million for tourists' healthcare per year."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675270-public-health-ministry-to-ask-thai-govt-to-collect-entry-fees-from-foreigners/

The original post in this thread makes it clearer that in fact, various governmental agencies are ramping up on a free-for-all, each wanting their part of the pie: "According to a report in the Bangkok Post, discussions between officials from the Ministry of Public Health, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, and the Royal Thai Police, who had all agreed on the idea, want to use the 500 Baht fee scheme to help attract ‘quality’ tourists to Thailand and tackle the problem of foreigners staying in the country illegally."

Dr Sirichai Silpa-archa's hospital will be lucky to see 25 satang.

Of course, all who have been following this 500 Baht scheme knew it would go this way from the beginning. I'm just reminding everyone of what they knew...

Presumably, this means that all persons re-entering the country after a "visa run" will be, as usual, classified as 'tourists' and be expected to pay B500?

No, as far as I am aware, the 500 Baht is only at the airport. Overland, it is only a few Bahts.

I thought they introduced the Elite card to entice quality tourists,

and we all know what a great success that turn out to be.

Presumably the idea is that the 500 Baht fee will weed out some of the less desirables which will make the remainder a higher quality. Moreover the resulting higher quality of tourists will make LOS a higher quality place which will in turn attract more higher quality tourists such as you find going to places like Singapore & Hong Kong.

Hopeless, it should be 5.000 baht if they really want to attract quality tourists! Truth is they don't care who comes and goes, as long as they are getting cash out of them.

Yeah more scamming Nigerians I say. Let em all in, salt of the earth tourists they is or be or whatever

If the Immigration police can produce 100,000 foreigners who are overstay, then why haven't they rounded them up?

Actually between labor from Cambodia, Burma and Laos there's more likely 1 million foreigners overstay or illigally in Thailand, but then these aren't counted as they are Thailands slave labor.

One more pious comment from corrupt authorities confirming they haven't got a clue.

Archived