Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students in Thailand

webfact

Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students
By Coconuts Bangkok

citra.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Dark skin makes you stupid and undesirable, seems to be the message of a new campaign by Citra Thailand, who is putting its money where its pasty, bleached mouth is.

Challenging young women to get ahead in life with whiter skin, the Thai division of Anglo-Dutch Unilever recently announced its “3D White-Skinned Girls Search” for the most sallow students, the winners of which will receive educational scholarships.

This hasn’t exactly gone over well, with Thai netizens expressing dismay and outrage over the campaign, which they complain promotes the unhealthy, white-skin craze in the least tasteful way possible.

First airing on Thai television last month, the commercial is set at a university and shows a dark-skinned student being interviewed as she is asked: “What would you do to stand out in your uniform?” The stumped student gives a clueless look before the scene cuts to a cadaverous gang of students whose skin luminesces like radioactive moon rock. Their confident reply: “Apply whitening cream!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B5dcUJBS2Wg

Later, the video focuses on one alabaster adolescent who we’re told is the perfect candidate for Citra Thailand’s search, which requires female students to submit photos of themselves wearing university uniforms. The winners will be awarded scholarships. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/22/whites-only-european-owned-thai-co-offers-money-whitest-students

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-22

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students"

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

It's NOT racism. While the Thais have a preference for the 'lighter' skin, this isn't the usual black white thing they have going on in Europe and the United States.

• Like 1

chinese, half and halfs or skin-bleached; well, not too surprised.

friend of us has a daughter who was black as southern people are when they are often in the sun.

After not seeing her a couple of years, she is now white as paper. North Sweden in winter color.

I am surprised that this is technical possible.

(she looks complete different....full body modificiation....eye, nose, face, breasts etc etc)

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

It's NOT racism. While the Thais have a preference for the 'lighter' skin, this isn't the usual black white thing they have going on in Europe and the United States.

No they don't. They have the Chinese-Thai vs. Issan thing going on here ...

coffee1.gif

Well stated, and true. Or Thai Chinese vs. 'Thai Thai' vs. Isarn

Unlike black vs white abroad as the above poster said, it spans much wider than merely black vs white.

If you know the umbrella in the sun culture, despite already being brown, easy to sell these products here, making people feel bad or inferior. Old marketing ploy, different culture. Jeez, I don't look like a bag of bones like Kate Moss; I ought to, must be inferior...

• Like 1

A combination of an unhealthy fashion fad and racism seems an odd thing for a corporate to push. But if you have a business that is based on selling skin whitening products I guess it makes sense to promote white as the ideal and brown as bad. The Lakorn actresses promote this image too.

I suppose it's like 'Slimmer of the Year' - which can also encourage unhealthy body image issues amongst vulnerable teenagers.

And none of this is done for the opposite sex - who like healthy skin that's seen the outdoors (and some curves).

Speaking of curves - can we have photos of curvy girls with healthy skin tones in student uniforms please?

Is it racism ?

I think is just a reflection of " I am HiSo and work in an office and i'm proud of my status in society "

And i am a construction worker with a suntan and proud of what I build instead of shifting money for a living .

Without people like me they wouldn't have an office to hide for the sun :)

• Like 2

I fail to see how this sort of thing within a single "race" can be called racist, as all Thais are arguably of the same race (allowing for the Chinese influence and centuries of cross border interaction with the rest of Asia obviously). Is there even such a thing as a pure Thai?

It may be splitting hairs in some TV'ers opinions, but I'd be inclined to describe this whole dark/white thing as ethnic discrimination as opposed to racial discrimination.

Let's see if a lily white Russian student wins the prize, but I'm sure they'll be excluded from entering........now that's racial discrimination.

bah.gif That is soooooo racist.

If we Europeans run into the "solarium" for artificial sun to get brown: Is that also racist?

No, because what we choose to do to ourselves is a choice we make. Indicating someone is inferior, less attractive, a lesser being because of their colour is racist. That is what this campaign seems to be implying.

I fail to see how this sort of thing within a single "race" can be called racist, as all Thais are arguably of the same race (allowing for the Chinese influence and centuries of cross border interaction with the rest of Asia obviously). Is there even such a thing as a pure Thai?

It may be splitting hairs in some TV'ers opinions, but I'd be inclined to describe this whole dark/white thing as ethnic discrimination as opposed to racial discrimination.

Let's see if a lily white Russian student wins the prize, but I'm sure they'll be excluded from entering........now that's racial discrimination.

I think you're confused between the objective biological facts of what is race and RACISM.

Racism exists in all societies and it doesn't require there to be actual race involved at all!

For example, anti-semitism is racism yet Jews are not a race.

In real life, ETHNICITY is seen by most human societies the same as race for social constructs, so visible clues of ethnicity (color of skin, eye shape, etc.) are definitely related to racism.

Racism is a very complex thing of course and has different manifestations in different societies. For a fascinating look at how bizarre the social constructs of race can be, look at the Dominian Republic where most everyone has African blood yet there is severe anti-black racism.

Nope, I'm not confused.

Don't people who use L'Occitane or Kiehls look down on people who use Citra?

Which is why this is a great marketing scheme. The prospective users of Citra are by virtue of their skin tone not the affluent Thai-Chinese but they do aspire to look like the lighter skinned Thai-Chinese.

BTW there is a distinction between RACISM and DISCRIMINATION and these words are not used interchangeably. Is it wrong to discriminate against darker skinned Thais? Maybe, but I think we won't see any changes in this lifetime or the next. To this day discrimination in Canada is just as rampant as it was years ago (note: I didn't say racism). If I walk into deBeers jewelry store in Toronto wearing shorts and a T-shirt it's a completely different story than when I go after work wearing my suit and tie - discrimination based purely on looks, no different than what goes on in Thailand.

If we Europeans run into the "solarium" for artificial sun to get brown: Is that also racist?

No, because what we choose to do to ourselves is a choice we make. Indicating someone is inferior, less attractive, a lesser being because of their colour is racist. That is what this campaign seems to be implying.

You miss the point that it is about a whitening creme. It is like the Berlin solarium makes a contest who is the brownest German.

Here they put the whitening creme on their body. There they go in the solarium.

Some here and there have some genetic advantage to win the contest, but I guess here they will exclude the immigrant from Novosibirsk and there they will exclude the immigrant from Lagos.

But I can't detect racism....I think it is complete stupid but not racist.

it isn't? What is it then?

• Like 1

Don't people who use L'Occitane or Kiehls look down on people who use Citra?

Which is why this is a great marketing scheme. The prospective users of Citra are by virtue of their skin tone not the affluent Thai-Chinese but they do aspire to look like the lighter skinned Thai-Chinese.

BTW there is a distinction between RACISM and DISCRIMINATION and these words are not used interchangeably. Is it wrong to discriminate against darker skinned Thais? Maybe, but I think we won't see any changes in this lifetime or the next. To this day discrimination in Canada is just as rampant as it was years ago (note: I didn't say racism). If I walk into deBeers jewelry store in Toronto wearing shorts and a T-shirt it's a completely different story than when I go after work wearing my suit and tie - discrimination based purely on looks, no different than what goes on in Thailand.

I have seen original dark Thais bleaching themself to paper white. More white than any healthy regular Chinese looks like.

• Like 1

You miss the point that it is about a whitening creme. It is like the Berlin solarium makes a contest who is the brownest German.

Here they put the whitening creme on their body. There they go in the solarium.

Some here and there have some genetic advantage to win the contest, but I guess here they will exclude the immigrant from Novosibirsk and there they will exclude the immigrant from Lagos.

But I can't detect racism....I think it is complete stupid but not racist.

I disagree in that I do detect the racist thinking that lies behind this campaign. They are indicating that the whiter you are the better you are. However I do agree with you on the stupidity of this campaign and those who are behind it.