Do you wai?

Nautilus05

You don't consider the wai thai culture as you don't know what Thai culture is.

Paying someone to go to immigration IS corrupt. They pay the Immigration tea money. You are supposed to do the 90 reporting yourself too.

Nodding isn't culturally acceptable here, how would you know?

Again no need for childish insults. What makes you think I'm a peasant? calling ME arrogant is making me laugh!

Your imagination is running wild. I've lived in cities ALL my life.

Eat my heart out? You gotta be kidding.

You never mentioned if you live in Pattaya. I wonder why.

No, a eaten couple would never move there.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traffic system is as bad as Bkk, the public hospitals are appalling ( I did agency in many ), Heathrow makes Swampy look like a model of brilliant planning, there are almost no public toilets left, the streets are filthy, the buildings are mainly decrepit and the place is full of crooks and con men.

As thaibeachlovers wonders why he never heard back from them after interviewing for the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Bangkok Brand Ambassador 2014 position. biggrin.png

Sorry that should read Western couple. I don't know how to edit.

Nor do you know that you have a big key on your back like a clockwork toy...and Naam is having great fun winding it.

• Like 1

In support of Naam, he puts a lot of money in the local economy, he's not a sexpat, he's not doing anyone any harm and frankly, it's up to him whether he wants to know all about the culture and ingratiate himself with it. He doesn't actually have to answer to anyone, he's retired and self-financed.

It's funny how the culture thing is always relentlessly pushed by other expats (or usually just tourists) in Thailand. It's some sort of peculiar obsession.

I'd love some of these people to explain Thai culture to me, I haven't a clue about it.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Nor do you know that you have a big key on your back like a clockwork toy...and Naam is having great fun winding it.

I agree. It really irritates me when posters have to stoop to insults to make them feel superior. I've a good mind to error him.

Paying someone to go to immigration IS corrupt. They pay the Immigration tea money. You are supposed to do the 90 reporting yourself too.

Again no need for childish insults. What makes you think I'm a peasant? calling ME arrogant is making me laugh!

Why do you care so much how other people live their life and the opinions they hold?

Do you carry a book of your own life rules and viewpoints and hand it out to strangers who transgress your view of the laws of the world, so they can correct their errant ways?

Seems to me he has sportingly answered all your questions but you seem intent on nitpicking every answer he gives.

What irks me is when posters say things that are so wrong, so culturally unaware yet seem to think they are all so knowledgeable.
  • Like 1

what does not irk me is when "holier than thou" posters are ridiculing themselves with silly accusations and/or trying to lecture others as far as their perceived culture is concerned. it amuses me. i have worked/lived in countries where utmost despicable strains are parts of culture and tradition. but i would have never dared to lecture or advice a fellow foreigner to accept or reject whatever i found positive or negative because that was none of my business.

and as far as Thailand is concerned i act the same. i don't wai and i will never kneel in front of a monk but mind my own business.

• Like 2

The aptly named "bum gun" is certainly an advancement, but most rural Thais still clean after themselves using water and their left hand. Anyways, I never mentioned anything about any culture being superior/inferior. I did however grow up in London and Thailand is still considered a third world country, I would find it hard to say anywhere in Thailand is more advanced than where I am more familiar with, not that I see that as an issue.

I worked in London for 10 years and I consider it to be "third world". The traffic system is as bad as Bkk, the public hospitals are appalling ( I did agency in many ), Heathrow makes Swampy look like a model of brilliant planning, there are almost no public toilets left, the streets are filthy, the buildings are mainly decrepit and the place is full of crooks and con men.

Well I agree with some of your points, certainly there is improvements to be made in London, but to consider the place as third world is silly boy talk and you can not be taken seriously at that point I am afraid.

• Like 1

At work, yes. At home with friends and family no. Temples, government offices, yes. Police, no. Elderly Thai people (thosevoldervthan myself), yes. Those younger, no. Immigration officers, yes. King, Queen or Royal Family, Yes!

The agent could make 90 days notification of residence on behalf of the alien by holding the alien’s passport, completed Form of Notification (TM.47) signed by the owner of the passport, and the latest receipt of notification (if any) However,it could be done on condition that the date of notification is not overdue

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

Why do you care so much how other people live their life and the opinions they hold?

What irks me is when posters say things that are so wrong, so culturally unaware yet seem to think they are all so knowledgeable.

I have to go with BookMan on this.

So you know my position ... I wai, go to Temples with the gf, live in an extended Thai household (lot's of adults and kids) when I'm in Thailand ... I'm immersed culturally 100% 99% (I can't do the real spicy, chicken feet or offal) but ...

but ... isn't it the joy of Thailand that we can all can live our lives as we wish.

Naam chooses not to integrate in Thai Culture ... his choice.

But do notice ... he also chooses not to denigrate Thai Culture either.

It's almost an evangelical position you take ... "Repent now or go to Hell"

I don't want to be Naam he's an individual, what works for him, wouldn't work for me ... but isn't that a great aspect of Thailand ... the freedom to choose the lives we want to live?

• Like 1

...he also chooses not to denigrate Thai Culture either

as opposed to the many thousands (and counting) derogatory comments in this forum! not a single day passes without a dozen mental peasants slinging mud on Thai related topics.

• Like 2

Western couples not wanted in Pattaya, and they can take all the families with them on the way out as well. They are ruining the place.

may those of us who don't have children stay... please? laugh.png

• Like 1

I can show respect to people without making some weird half assed hand gestures.

Mate, you know me and I'm not having a go but ...

What's the go with a Western 'Handshake'? Some anecdotal evidence is that it goes way back as a signal between 2 warriors or combatants that there is no aggression or hidden weapons.

An old custom, of little relevance today ... but we still do it.

A Thai person, who wants to show proper cross cultural respect and certainly in business would adopt this Western Custom ... so why not, at the appropriate time reciprocate the Thai custom?

I certainly show respect to my girlfriends parents ... and it's expected from me.

And going back to roots, a wai very definitely indicates you don't have a weapon in either hand.

Could be tucked in the back of your belt though.

• Like 1