Do you wai?

Nautilus05

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen farang wai farang one on one in my home country at Thai functions... Cringe worthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thai

if they are at a function where they will be waiing many thai people, then there is no reason they wouldnt just carry it over to everyone.

A wai is putting your hands together in a call prayer position and seem to pray to any Temple, Buddha statue or even buildings. It is also use to say Sawasdee or Hello.you try not to compare Thai various cultures to your Western concepts of religion .Wai culture is a mixture of Cultural habit or traditional. I know it may seem a little strange to us but that is the belief system in Thai culture. This is why you may see some shrines at the front of houses or in the corners of buildings. they may just be to honor deceased people and so everyone passing will wai even if only for a quick second.I Wai to show respect . Just like shaking hands in my culture.

Actually, that's not quite what a spirit house is or is for, generally speaking. I must admit that the relationship between thai animist belief and buddhism is a complex one. I would not compare, for example, the Erawan shrine in Bangkok (some taxi drivers will actually take both hands off the wheel to wai here...) with a small spirit house in front of an individual's residence or at one corner of a business property, or even inside a small business. You wai every time you see one of these?!

I would guess this would only offend the minority that have no concept that the wai is not in farang culture and therefore unfamiliar with the complexities of the action.

Im pretty sure Thais have a very good concept what wai is. We, foreigners do not.

It is understood that many foreigners do the wai in order to show how they want to fit in, be part of Thailand, and not just some tourist, to be polite, understand local culture and traditions, religion even. But we never will. Your wai is not expected nor wanted, all you do is look ignorant doing it.

From my experience I have to disagree entirely. I have a good friend of 10+ years who would be very upset with me if I was rude enough not to wai someone he introduced me to that I should have given a wai to. He would I'm sure, be similarly pissed off if I met him and his friends (all senior to me) and didn't bother to wai them.

As far as work is involved, I imagine my Thai colleagues of many years would take me not returning a wai as me being a grumpy git that morning or something, but if I did it regularly they would be offended. As for my director and senior colleagues, why wouldn't I wai them? I'm showing respect that their seniority deserves in the country in which I choose to live and work.

Actually there's a funny thing with the wai- when it is a genuine gesture of respect, it can become irrelevant who does it first. I have many senior colleagues who I have to be like greased lightning with because they will whip out their wai before I have even started to react.

I agree with the posters who have said it's a complicated social custom and hard to understand, but if you take the time you can learn- I'd say it's easier than the language. I don't generally wai people younger than me first, unless it's someone I've known for a long, long time, similar to the situation I described above with my own senior colleagues. I don't wai children or serving staff.

So yes- Everyone who knows or meets me knows I'm not a tourist, I have a reasonably good understanding of local culture and traditions (at least enough to reciprocate the manners of those around me), and I am expected to wai by the majority of the people I know here. I don't think the people I associate with consider me to be ignorant for that.

I do wai babies and young children. My Thai friends appreciate it's a way of teaching them civility.

• Like 1

I would guess this would only offend the minority that have no concept that the wai is not in farang culture and therefore unfamiliar with the complexities of the action.

Im pretty sure Thais have a very good concept what wai is. We, foreigners do not.

It is understood that many foreigners do the wai in order to show how they want to fit in, be part of Thailand, and not just some tourist, to be polite, understand local culture and traditions, religion even. But we never will. Your wai is not expected nor wanted, all you do is look ignorant doing it.

From my experience I have to disagree entirely. I have a good friend of 10+ years who would be very upset with me if I was rude enough not to wai someone he introduced me to that I should have given a wai to. He would I'm sure, be similarly pissed off if I met him and his friends (all senior to me) and didn't bother to wai them.

As far as work is involved, I imagine my Thai colleagues of many years would take me not returning a wai as me being a grumpy git that morning or something, but if I did it regularly they would be offended. As for my director and senior colleagues, why wouldn't I wai them? I'm showing respect that their seniority deserves in the country in which I choose to live and work.

Actually there's a funny thing with the wai- when it is a genuine gesture of respect, it can become irrelevant who does it first. I have many senior colleagues who I have to be like greased lightning with because they will whip out their wai before I have even started to react.

I agree with the posters who have said it's a complicated social custom and hard to understand, but if you take the time you can learn- I'd say it's easier than the language. I don't generally wai people younger than me first, unless it's someone I've known for a long, long time, similar to the situation I described above with my own senior colleagues. I don't wai children or serving staff.

So yes- Everyone who knows or meets me knows I'm not a tourist, I have a reasonably good understanding of local culture and traditions (at least enough to reciprocate the manners of those around me), and I am expected to wai by the majority of the people I know here. I don't think the people I associate with consider me to be ignorant for that.

I do wai babies and young children. My Thai friends appreciate it's a way of teaching them civility.

Do you see Thai people doing this? I don't. Teach the children to wai older folks and people they are suppposed to wai. That would be the way to teach civility in Thailand.

When my staff comes in the morning everyone wais, when they leave the same.

Unless I have the coffee in the hand I wai back like everyone other does.

I have one Thai customer who always greets me with "Heil Hitler" crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif instead of Wai

wear a different uniform and you might hear a "banzai!"

fig19.jpg

I think your Thai friends are tell you what they think you want to hear.

They are being polite.

personally i give a flying fàrt what Thais think concerning wais. and that goes for the dozens of lessons and advice "how/when to wai or not" posted by Farangs in Thaivisa, most of whom claiming that they are totally immersed in local culture and therefore "thaier" than the average Thai.

when my 2 year old designated grand-goddaughter or my 2 year old designated grand-godson wai then i return their greeting in the same way.

that also applies to the guard at the gate who stands at attention and salutes when i pass... except i salute and sit in attention in my car.

there's Klingon politeness and there's male bovine feces!

• Like 1

They are being polite.

personally i give a flying fàrt what Thais think concerning wais. and that goes for the dozens of lessons and advice "how/when to wai or not" posted by Farangs in Thaivisa, most of whom claiming that they are totally immersed in local culture and therefore "thaier" than the average Thai.

when my 2 year old designated grand-goddaughter or my 2 year old designated grand-godson wai then i return their greeting in the same way.

that also applies to the guard at the gate who stands at attention and salutes when i pass... except i salute and sit in attention in my car.

lol! I love it. live in a country and dont give a stuff that the inhabitants of that country have little for respect you!!

They are being polite.

lol! I love it. live in a country and dont give a stuff that the inhabitants of that country have little for respect you!!

right you are! that lack of respect you mentioned is causing me sleepless nights since i visited Thailand for the first time exactly 40 years ago. and when i sleep i sometimes cry in my sleep.

l-dog%20small.jpg

No normaly I dont wei. My thai friend told me I should not wei...so i just say "hello"in thai and bend my head to older thai persons or thai friends: otherwise never!

Erm. My wife says if you say hello in Thai, you have to wai.

BTW, I defer to her knowledge of Thai culture before that of any farang on here, and she accepts that I don't wai anyone.

The only time she made me wai, was to her mother when I handed over the sin sod ( which she gave back to me ), and she gave me instructions of how to do it properly in that situation.

Please explain how you can't learn to wai? It's not rocket science.

You guys that don't wai have a big problem.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

oh, i'm quite sure it doesnt bother you. thats what makes it so delicious!! the archetypal throwback to colonial times!!

Not so serious ... Naam's a bit of a wag ... I'm sure he's just having some fun.

Naam ... if you're reading this ... you still owe me that 2,00 Baht I lent you back in '86 and the phone number of the shopkeepers hot daughter ... you promised!

You obviously haven't lived here for 40 years, being so ignorant of the culture. I'd be very surprised if you speak the language. I recommend you learn by listening to posters here. Buffoons like you waing security guards and kids make me cringe. I've only lived here 26 years, surely you have been here less than 1year or are American living in a tourist spot.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i pity ignorant earthlings like you who can't differentiate between a military salute and a wai. but then, living 26 years in the sticks must have taken their toll.

the guard at the gate who stands at attention and salutes when i pass... except i salute and sit in attention

therefore you'd be very surprised should i disclose my suggestion where you can shove any of your recommendations. but that would be quite rude and perhaps even violate forum rules.

sént éncryptéd fröm my ŸRЮ-17Ψ²-Cღ on Klingønic sécrét sübspàcé chànnél.

Doggy.gif

oh, i'm quite sure it doesnt bother you. thats what makes it so delicious!! the archetypal throwback to colonial times!!

Not so serious ... Naam's a bit of a wag ... I'm sure he's just having some fun.

Naam ... if you're reading this ... you still owe me that 2,00 Baht I lent you back in '86 and the phone number of the shopkeepers hot daughter ... you promised!

i had too much bloodwine then David and i'm ashamed to confess today that i lied to you. it wasn't the shopkeeper's daughter. didn't you see the ridges on her forehead? and please... not one word to Mrs Naam when we meet next time! i also promise to pay back the 2 Baht loan with compound interest. agreed?

wai2.gif

how long have you lived here. do you not have any friends. Either you don't have any friends or you don't wai the friends you have. do you really think it is intelligent not too wai them can you speak Thai?

Are you that arrogant?

how long have you lived here. do you not have any friends. Either you don't have any friends or you don't wai the friends you have. do you really think it is intelligent not too wai them can you speak Thai?

Are you that arrogant?

-i have lived here continously for 9 years, 9 months and 14 days,

-i have friends in more than two dozen countries of planet Earth,

-i don't wai my friends because none of them is Thai,

-it would be quite odd to wai friends who are not Thai,

-but it gives me great pleasure to wai (back) to the little children of my employees,

-i master fluently 5 languages and can make myself understood in a fistful more,

-Thai is not a language i master except for a few polite phrases and all numbers,

-explaining the level of my arrogance would be beyond your comprehension.

any other questions?

• Like 1

Are you that arrogant?

-but it gives me great pleasure to wai (back) to the little children of my employees,

-i master fluently 5 languages and can make myself understood in a fistful more,

-Thai is not a language i master except for a few polite phrases and all numbers,

any other questions?

Many questions now you ask.

You are an extreme case of the foreigner who won't accept and respect Thai culture.

You speak 5 languages fluently yet can't speak Thai after 9 years.

Are any of your friends in the 24 countries natives of that land?

I expect they are as you learned some of their languages.

It says a lot about you when you don't learn Thai or wai and have no friends. Do you not like Thais?

Do you feel you are superior to Thais?

I can't for the life of me imagine how you can't have any friends.

Do you make an effort to separate yourself from the people around you?

Are you not interested in talking to your neighbours?

Wouldn't you like to speak to the kids of your workers or the workers ?

What about when you do business here, do you wai nobody apart from your servants' children?

So you don't wai the Immigration officers when you renew your visa?

Bank manager, lawyer, doctor, priest, monk, etc?

Surely you get out sometimes, if someone wais you you ignore them because you don't get 'great pleasure ' doing so?

Dude why do you want to live here?

Are you a fugitive?

• Like 1

Are you that arrogant?

any other questions?

any other questions?

Are you a millionaire? I bet you are. Please tell me you are!!!!

And please tell me that you own a 10 million USD luxury yacht in Phuket. Please!

And please also tell me that you've got aThai wife.

I promise I'll believe everything you say. I always believe self-proclaimed millionaires who've married Thais.

They're just so convincing.

any other questions?

Are you a millionaire? I bet you are. Please tell me you are!!!!

And please tell me that you own a 10 million USD luxury yacht in Phuket. Please!

And please also tell me that you've got aThai wife.

I promise I'll believe everything you say. I always believe self-proclaimed millionaires who've married Thais.

They're just so convincing.

-i am a multi-billionaire using Vietnamese Dong or Indonesian Rupiah. a few years ago i was a multi-godzillionaire when accounting in Zimbabwe Dollars.

-once i owned a 36' (second hand 68,000 Dollars) yacht in Florida.

-unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately laugh.png, my wife is not Thai.

-your promise is irrelevant (see above).

• Like 1

Gentlemen ... please let's not make this personal towards Naam.

He states his position ... like it or not ... but he doesn't go you guys.

Lighten up and have some Fun ... Thailand's famous for fun.

Not trying to tell you what to do ... just giving an opinion.

I have a question, is your name the Thai word for water or fermented sausage?

What is the most number of women you have made to love in one night?

Who is your favorite American president?

What is your favorite American fast food restaurant?

-my first name is Walter. Thais can't pronounce the "L" in Walter. they say "Water" and that's why i have adopted in Thaivisa the handle "Naam".

-many rainy seasons ago with two.

-my favourite American president was Jimmy Carter.

-my favourite American fast food bah.gif restaurant does not exist.