Verify Pension Amount For Retirement Visa UK

RioMist

As most of you probably know by now that Martin Carpenter from November 1st will not be able to supply a letter of verification for your retirement visa. This is for the funds in your pension income etc etc.

You will now have to post the application to the UK Embassy in BKK. My gripe is this.... 2400 baht is the fee inc postage. That's 50 pounds for a letter that only takes a couple of mins to produce! The letter is a standard letter that's kept on a PC and all someone has to do is fill in your address and the amount in funds. It's a complete rip off. I would be interested to know what other embassies charge for this service. If Thai immigration started to charge 50 quid for a standard document there would be hell to pay with all the Farangs up in arms...Yet we let our Embassy get away with it. I know Martin used to charge a similar amount and I guess Martin did not see any of that and went into the coffers for UK Embassy.... You also now have to make a trip to your local post office to get a postal order.. I think a letter to the Embassy to complain.. Not that it will do any good I'm sure.

As most of you probably know by now that Martin Carpenter from November 1st will not be able to supply a letter of verification for your retirement visa. This is for the funds in your pension income etc etc.

You will now have to post the application to the UK Embassy in BKK. My gripe is this.... 2400 baht is the fee inc postage. That's 50 pounds for a letter that only takes a couple of mins to produce! The letter is a standard letter that's kept on a PC and all someone has to do is fill in your address and the amount in funds. It's a complete rip off. I would be interested to know what other embassies charge for this service. If Thai immigration started to charge 50 quid for a standard document there would be hell to pay with all the Farangs up in arms...Yet we let our Embassy get away with it. I know Martin used to charge a similar amount and I guess Martin did not see any of that and went into the coffers for UK Embassy.... You also now have to make a trip to your local post office to get a postal order.. I think a letter to the Embassy to complain.. Not that it will do any good I'm sure.

When I did mine I got a letter from my pension providers in the UK, Martin Carpenter then had to verify it for a cost of sorry can't remember, but it was a lot, it is far easier to have the 800k in your bank account, this will cause many people problems I am sure!! This is called making a profit!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dogpoo

I have capital assets in Thailand, but keep all my liquid funds (except for normal living expenses) outside of the country. For the previous 5 years, I've gotten the pension letter from Martin, however a couple of months ago he was away on holiday so I had to go the letter to the BKK Embassy route. Nothing extraordinary at all, and the only increase in cost is the EMS postage to BKK and the return. Took 6 days in total, of which 1 was a holiday, and 2 others the weekend. Easy.

I am sure I will be quickly corrected if I am wrong and criticised by the usual even if I am right but I believe all such costs are set in stone by the UK Government. The British Embassy/Consular Affairs have no control over such costs and just follow preset pricing.