Some foreigners need to have some pride in their appearance when being at Chiang Mai Immigration.

khunjerrybkk

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

A government building deserves your respect in any country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That;s why I always put on smart boots when I go to Berlin, for the sake of the Reichstag building,

EDIT: I'll bet that Jaffacakes is a right Orange B******

Edited by StreetCowboy

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

Counter what exactly?

Posts like this irk as they are full of some misplaced sense of self-importance.

Do you really think the Thais go about their day-to-day lives making rash judgements on a billion people on my (or your) appearance and internet handle?

• Like 1

I wear exactly the same attending other countries official buildings as I would for attending the workplace and my own country's government establishments. Whatever I feel like wearing that day.

That said I don't own a string vest and don't wear flip flops generally, but the notion that in any given circumstance a non-Thai represents all other non Thais is a bit daft, unless the individual in question happens to be a Diplomat.

Agree with the post.

Counter what exactly?

Posts like this irk as they are full of some misplaced sense of self-importance.

Do you really think the Thais go about their day-to-day lives making rash judgements on a billion people on my (or your) appearance and internet handle?

I was referring to your comment 'all this letting the side down is <deleted>' comment rather than your moniker although how you choose to refer to yourself could be telling.

I do think that Thais make judgements - absolutely. We all do. This isn't terribly important day to day, but in a place of business or government office it's probably appreciated if you aren't in in beachwear. Showing a little respect surely has to be a positive thing

Speculation, mate. Who do you think will be video ref for the opening game of the world cup?

SC

I actually chose the moniker just to get under pretentious people's skins.

It worked.

The truth is that posts like this are usually written by English "Teachers" who can't choose what they wear day in, day out, and have to be forced into cheap, nasty nylon shirts by their wives every morning.

They tend to have a hugely over-inflated sense of self importance too, and feel those of us with proper jobs or rightly retired after a life's work, who make our own dress codes should suffer too.

If I'm taking the wife out for a nosh up and a dirty weekend at a nice hotel for a special occasion, I'll get suited and booted. I won't change my attire because of the self-imagined importance of some jumped up no-mark who probably won't even be here this time next year.

That;s cracking speculation, bytheway. I reckon it'll be Steve Ganson.

It worked.

The truth is that posts like this are usually written by English "Teachers" who can't choose what they wear day in, day out, and have to be forced into cheap, nasty nylon shirts by their wives every morning.

They tend to have a hugely over-inflated sense of self importance too, and feel those of us with proper jobs or rightly retired after a life's work, who make our own dress codes should suffer too.

If I'm taking the wife out for a nosh up and a dirty weekend at a nice hotel for a special occasion, I'll get suited and booted. I won't change my attire because of the self-imagined importance of some jumped up no-mark who probably won't even be here this time next year.

What'll he be wearing?

It worked.

What'll he be wearing?

Probably a Specsaver shirt

• Like 2

Please..... have some pride in your actions, clothing appearance & personal hygiene to understand that YOU are representing ALL foreigners to the Thai people when you are in country

Says who? I represent no one bar myself nor do I require anyone to represent me.

Daft post.

No that is not true. If you look white and long nose like me, and say you are always drunk, automatically white skin and long nose will be known as drunk people. Someone who only knows your example of white and long nose will think all are that way.

If I am neat and nice someone who knows me, will look at you and think you are similar.

That might be racist, positive or negative and not fair but it is a fact. You represent other people who look similar.

If there would people who color their hair green, and they are very gentle to help elderly people and there is another group who color their hairs red and are hooligans.

People would learn what to expect from green haired and red haired people. Someone who naturally has red hair would automatically considered as hooligan.

As I told it is not fair

• Like 1

Yeah, we have all seen those overdressed farang at immigration. Wai'ing everything that moves, including the soidogs whilst they are holding their teamoney in their small sweaty hands!whistling.gif

We with a little more relaxed dresscode, are often wondering why some people dress like English ganglanders before a courthearing, an illfitting suit in a tropical climate??

But because we are more tolerant than the "ganglanders", we don't start threads here about other peoples choices. We just live and let live. You should try it, makes life easier!thumbsup.gif

BTW. When I go to any government office, I represent myself and only myself!

You are wondering the wrong thing.

I would wonder if it works....do they get something I don't get? If taking some funny clothes to get a better visa, I would do it.

Many expats, and what have you, let themselves go over here for whatever reason. Some of these older dudes have really long hair on their arms and legs. Wax or shave that stuff off semi-annually at least, unless you want to become a walking carpet!

Another thing is the many fat dudes that never work out and kind of shuffle along slowly usually. Their stamina sexually and otherwise must be through the floor!

How do they maintain confidence as a man walking with a petite thai lady?

I guess when it becomes unmanageable it's easier to just deny it and continue drinking rather then think about it. How many farts around here have even been to a gym over here or have some kind of exercise equipment?

I could care less what immigration thinks, not sure why you brought that up. It's about keeping yourself together, not other people.

Please..... have some pride in your actions, clothing appearance & personal hygiene to understand that YOU are representing ALL foreigners to the Thai people when you are in country

Says who? I represent no one bar myself nor do I require anyone to represent me.

Daft post.

No that is not true. If you look white and long nose like me, and say you are always drunk, automatically white skin and long nose will be known as drunk people.

That would only be true if all farangs that the Thai people meet are drunks.