Enduro in north Thailand

charlie1968

Hi Charlie , i have spent a while in Chiang Mai and will be over again in April (will be moving there mid 2015) as im also into enduros / green-laning. If you go to the "Australian Bar" on Loi Kroh road - East side of city , just before the "Iron Bridge" that crosses the Ping river , and ask if Chris Curtis is there (real nice guy from England)- if there is a GP or F1 race , he should be , as they show all sport on some big TV,s and he will direct you to a Thai guy named Nung who lives in Hang Dong and is a superb source of info.He leads some jungle rides on a variety of bikes and is the best mechanic i have seen in Thailand.Whats your story ? reason for moving (from where) bike you will be buying etc.I will be giving Chris and Nung a call soon , so if you have any specific questions then let me know.Hope to see you in April.PS - Make sure you are fully insured and use all the motocross clothing you have for protection , as its expensive to buy in Thailand.

• Like 2

Hi Charlie , i have spent a while in Chiang Mai and will be over again in April (will be moving there mid 2015) as im also into enduros / green-laning. If you go to the "Australian Bar" on Loi Kroh road - East side of city , just before the "Iron Bridge" that crosses the Ping river , and ask if Chris Curtis is there (real nice guy from England)- if there is a GP or F1 race , he should be , as they show all sport on some big TV,s and he will direct you to a Thai guy named Nung who lives in Hang Dong and is a superb source of info.He leads some jungle rides on a variety of bikes and is the best mechanic i have seen in Thailand.Whats your story ? reason for moving (from where) bike you will be buying etc.I will be giving Chris and Nung a call soon , so if you have any specific questions then let me know.Hope to see you in April.PS - Make sure you are fully insured and use all the motocross clothing you have for protection , as its expensive to buy in Thailand.

Hi Nigel

I'm from England near Manchester been going to Thailand for about 12 years travelled around all Thailand Cambodia and a few days in Vietnam

Met my wife thai about 6 years ago

Been living with me for 5 years in uk

I'm a roofer in uk but me body is feeling the effects of climbing roofs for the past 29 years bad knees etc

Used to race in school boys scrambling 1978 -1981 started in the adults again 1989. - 1991

Then again start of this year in the over 40 vets race still got kx250 2 stroke

Looking at enduro 250 I think just for fun as I mover there mid November for 3 months to see if we can start a small business

Just see what happens really

Charlie

Hi Charlie 1968 Forgot to add , friends call me JEFF - long story !. Nung will be useful , and any other info you can gather on ride-outs. "Duel-sport" bikes are good due to some technical riding in some places but will feel under-powered compared ta a KX. I would recommend an injected bike due to the altitude changes. Kawasaki KLX 250 ?. New =156,000 baht (£3,100).Keep in touch . Sorry for the slow reply , party in Liverpool over weekend , then a few days mountain biking in Ceod y brenin , and yes , it did rain / hail !!!!!!!!!!! JEFF

Hey up jeff yeah I get to Thailand 18 nov will have a look around then not looking at spending to much on a bike around 1200 looking for a yz I think as that's what I always had until this Kx I've got here in the uk I'm trying to sell the Kx as I don't seem to suit it . Will be staying around phayao area for the first couple of weeks at the

Inlaws then chiang rai for a week then down to chiang mai staying till feb 15th then back to uk for a couple of months to sort things out if all goes well in thaiI'm of to Liverpool on the 9th

with some friends as a bit of a leaving do

Charlie me real names Carl long story ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Charlie , the YZ will be good but the 2-strokes still have carbs which arent ideal when one rides through such a wide altitude range found in Chiang Mai and surrounding mountains. I guess its not a 4-stroke your after considering your current KX , not to mention you (and i) are from the "smokers" generation. A YZ may not be fully road legal without a "green "book . so will require transporting to the ride areas. Fully road legal enduro bikes are very expensive , although police may have turned a blind eye in the past , they are now (quite rightly) clamping down and even confiscating bikes. Without being fully legal an accident could be costly in many respects. Take your own equipment from England - cheaper and better quality. PS - enjoy CM.

If you are not needing the bike to be registered, check with all the Thai m/c sites.

Mocyc, dirttrackthai, offroad2wheels etc. - need the wifey for those ones unless you read Thai.

The sport seems to be in an early growth stage here, and there is sure to be growing interest in the future.

I think Chiang Rai has had a new 'mini track' like a supermoto style track open recently, all good news!

I've seen prices for decent recent-model 450cc MX bikes for Bt100k - 150 depending on condition/mods etc. for reference.

There seem to be a reasonable number around too.

Good luck!

• Like 1