Retirement extension

I normally request a proof of funds letter from the Bangkok Bank which takes them a few days to produce. Can anyone confirm that The branch at The Government Center can do a letter while you wait, so that I don't need to do this?

Any full service branch can do a letter while you wait if your account is located there and yes the branch inside Government Center will do for anyone while you wait regardless of where the actual account is located. Believe other banks will also do this at that location.

Yes, they can produce the letter in approx. 5 to 10 minutes (my personal experience like just last month and the year before) and your account does not have to be with the govt complex branch. They do a lot of such letters at that branch. Cost is 100 baht.

Edited by Pib

Is there is anything else needed for the extension based on retirement except for the passport (+ copies), Bank letter and bank book (+ copies) showing funds.

I plan to go to the Government Center on Friday.

Thank you.

For proof of address it depends but normally they would want a copy of rental contract or a receipt from a long stay residency of some type.

Not sure about photo show being downstairs. But you can get them at plenty of places just order 4cm X 6cm photos.

If i have a nonimmigrant O visa 90 day single and i dont put my money in bank because not sure if i will live there , what is the next possibility if i still want to stay there ........... The rentals i want are requesting for 1 yr leases ...and want to be sure of my desire to retire in thailand before i transfer funds and its turned into Baht ! Thanks

Have no idea what you are asking. For retirement extensions you can use income or bank deposit or both in country and out of country you can obtain non immigrant O-A visa for one year stay with funds in home country so do not see a problem staying (but would require a change in visa). That single entry O will only cover 90 days. No reason you could not obtain several tourist visas if you want more time.

For proof of address it depends but normally they would want a copy of rental contract or a receipt from a long stay residency of some type.

Not sure about photo show being downstairs. But you can get them at plenty of places just order 4cm X 6cm photos.

Pattaya/Jomtien refused to accept photo copies of my latest rent receipt and Fed Ex letter adressed to me. They insisted on a rental contract.

FYI

Thanks lopburi3,

Are the 90-day report and the bank statements showing my address is good enough as a proof of address?

Is .a photo shop downstairs in Government Center?

---------------------------

Yes. At the very back rear of the 1st floor there is a place that will do copies of documents and your passport.entries

They also will give you 3 (I believe) photos for a 100 Baht fee.

They now charge 2 baht per copy, it was just 1 baht per copy but they raised the price this month.

They are also advertising that they will fill out the forms (like a TM47) for you for 30 baht, but I've never used their service for that.

Edited by Mario2008
reply seperated from qoute

1. Is it possible to arrive in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa and then go through the process of applying for a retirement extension?

2. Will a Thai bank accept a USA bank check for the required sum (800,000 baht I believe) in order to meet the retirement visa financial requirement?

3. Is there a visa assistance firm located in Chiang Mai that you can recommend to help with this process?

Thanks in advance for any information.

vox2

1. Yes it is possible do a conversion to a non immigrant visa from a 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a tourist visa) and then after 60 days do the extension of stay but you need to do it within 15 days of arrival. It would be best to get a single entry tourist visa before traveling to give you more time.

2. Yes but you would have to wait for it to clear before it would be credited to your account. Plus you might have problems proving the funds came from outside the country when you do the conversion. It would be best to transfer the funds into the country.

3. Can't answer that question. But would advise that it is not necessary since the process is simple.

• Like 1

Better to obtain a single entry "o" visa from a Hon. Consulate in your own country. You would then have the time necessary for financial arrangements to be put in place.

Edit

Would not be possible to convert a visa exempt entry unless the required funds are available.

Edited by thaiexpat21
  • Like 1

As said best to arrange wire transfer agreement with your US bank (it often must be done in person) so that once you have an account here you can have them wire transfer the money into that account. You may want to use this also in the future.

You do not need any visa assistance firm - you are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement which is simple and easy - basically just requires proof of financials each year, filling out a TM.7 form and paying the 1,900 baht fee. Any questions posters here can help you with.

• Like 1

Thanks to both for that vital info, it will save me a lot of time.

Everything is available at the government center.

I almost screwed up; apparently the 800,000 has to have been in the bank three months before you apply, not before expiry of the old extension. I cut it a bit fine; money went in on 29/7 visa expires on 29/10. I have to go back on 29th. I can not believe that they are not looking for a backhander, which I would willingly give, but how to do it?

No they are not looking for a bribe, they simply apply the rules.

Don't try to offer them a bribe. It could turn very nasty.

I wouldn't dream of offering a bribe, someone else will always do that; I think that the going rate to extend your retirement visa is 20,000 Baht. and you don't need 800,000baht in the bank. I wonder if immigration would prefer everybody to do it that way.