pavements around pattaya are in a terrible state

Asiantravel

I am noticing how the pavements around pattaya are in a terrible state and that in so many places sinkholes have appeared and there are gaping holes everywhere around the city. Or if there isn't a hole, the concrete bricks have become so unstable that they are a danger in themselves. If the authorities say they haven't got the money to carry out repairs surely charging for street side parking of cars could generate revenue to keep the pavements in better condition. Any thoughts?

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Thats because most of these brick walkways are just bricks placed on a sand substrate and the water just washes away the sand and the bricks collapse.

This is a problem now on parts of the new beach walk. The most extreme example is a large section of the new brick walkway in front of the main Central Festival drive-in.

This is now the third time in a month the substrate has washed out.

Not to mention the state of the roads, some very dangerous potholes for motorbikes.

There seems to be lots of money for new promanade, traffic lights that are never turned on,dolphin lamp posts, robot parking lot, new marina etc etc but no money for maintaining the roads and walkways.

I'm sure Central loves their impromptu swimming pool.

post-2109-0-68945400-1382578152_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-38105900-1382578179_thumb.jp

Not to mention the state of the roads, some very dangerous potholes for motorbikes.

There seems to be lots of money for new promanade, traffic lights that are never turned on,dolphin lamp posts, robot parking lot, new marina etc etc but no money for maintaining the roads and walkways.

I'm sure Central loves their impromptu swimming pool.

attachicon.gif1391653_226493400843508_684194088_n.jpg

attachicon.gif1380687_226515557507959_1245036435_n.jpg

Blimey, when was this ??

The mayor lives in Naklua. I live in Naklua. Presumably, he's driving over the same bumps as I so I can only imagine he's suffering too? Or maybe Thais are immune to bumpy roads the way most seem immune to loud noises?

Do you actually understand the difference between pavements and roads?

I agree withe the OP (who wouldn't) it's an absolute disgrace. BUT, is Pattaya any worse than any other city in this oh so beautiful country? Bkk is a disgrace as well in a lot of areas. Taking a baby in a pram is practically impossible in this country, not just because of the state of the pavements but because of those deep/high kerbs as well.

• Like 1

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just got back from TRANG the roads there are great and so are the footpaths why? Because they care what a beautiful clean town. It is one of the cleanest towns in this country. That nice we brought 7 rai land on the beach(had samran) we now live in sirachia and the potholes are that big that families live in them . :lol:

• Like 1

Wednesday was one heck of a severe but brief downpour. Pattaya Klang was flooed even in the middle of the street not just the junctions. The sidewalks are the most dangerous. Waling around a lot as I do, the number of sunken pavement stones is as bad as I have ever seen it.

Wednesday was one heck of a severe but brief downpour. Pattaya Klang was flooed even in the middle of the street not just the junctions. The sidewalks are the most dangerous. Waling around a lot as I do, the number of sunken pavement stones is as bad as I have ever seen it.

Don't you mean sunken 'sidewalk' stones?

In Jomtien the new second road sidewalk has a lot of collapsed sections too.

Has anyone seen the condition of the gazebo type structure right at the end of the beach walk in Jomtien next to Sugar Beach condominium and just around the corner from the new Centara hotel? It has literally half collapsed! I should have taken some photos when I was there the other day but actually I was probably so shocked that the authorities would simply allow this structure to remain in this condition i forgot to do so.

Admittedly some destitute people seem to sleep there in the night time but it is now in a very dangerous condition and yet people are still sitting inside during the day as they take shelter from the sun. I could see the whole thing just collapsing without any warning. Considering who some of the neighbours are in that area you would think at the very least they would take special pride in this part of Jomtien .

Edited by Asiantravel

Regarding the pavements, you are totally right. They are a danger to the users, both pedestrians and motor bikes.

But your solution wouldn't be workable here. Why ? TIT

But why does it have to be this way? Thailand wants to be the hub of everything on the planet and yet there seems to be this strong resistance to introducing traffic management policies which everywhere else in the world believe it is necessary to adopt and which could provide a steady stream of income to the city? I can't work out if it is laziness or corruption or both? This is becoming even more important now with such an ever increasing volume of traffic on the roads.

Has anyone seen the condition of the gazebo type structure right at the end of the beach walk in Jomtien next to Sugar Beach condominium and just around the corner from the new Centara hotel? It has literally half collapsed! I should have taken some photos when I was there the other day but actually I was probably so shocked that the authorities would simply allow this structure to remain in this condition i forgot to do so.

Admittedly some destitute people seem to sleep there in the night time but it is now in a very dangerous condition and yet people are still sitting inside during the day as they take shelter from the sun. I could see the whole thing just collapsing without any warning. Considering who some of the neighbours are in that area you would think at the very least they would take special pride in this part of Jomtien .

A condo in Sugar Beach will set you back B27 million, I did take this one pic, the gazebo is just beside it

post-6099-0-91189700-1382615028_thumb.jp

• Like 1

in some ways its not a bad thing

in many countries i have visited you stand a good chance of getting knocked down on the boardwalk by a senior on a mobility scooter

I am sure you could sue the pants off a senior on a mobility scooter if they knock you down but if you twist your ankle badly or even worse if paving stones happen to give way, who will meet your medical bills?

A condo in Sugar Beach will set you back B27 million, I did take this one pic, the gazebo is just beside it

set you back B27 million,

Wow !!!

set you back B27 million,

Wow !!!

http://www.thaiproperty.com/for_sale/condos/pattaya/Pratumnak-Hill/Sugar-Beach_5290.html

in some ways its not a bad thing

in many countries i have visited you stand a good chance of getting knocked down on the boardwalk by a senior on a mobility scooter

I am sure you could sue the pants off a senior on a mobility scooter if they knock you down but if you twist your ankle badly or even worse if paving stones happen to give way, who will meet your medical bills?

BUPA of course

Here is how it was a just a while ago from Google street view

post-2109-0-56555500-1382664766_thumb.jp

There are also some monsters of the sea in that area.

post-2109-0-83861600-1382665034_thumb.jppost-2109-0-81202500-1382665053_thumb.jppost-2109-0-69455600-1382665153_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

The pavements in Pattaya are pretty good. whistling.gif

Problem is that the good parts of the pavements are being occupied by food-stalls, motorbike-taxi places, lottery-ticket-sellers, etc.

What is left of the spaces is crap......not worth getting the classification "safe pavement".