Moving user APPS from one Android to another.

Shurup

While moving APPS on Android is pretty straight forward - you can just log in to your google account and re-download your apps, What I'm talking about here is the APPS that were installed on the phone through USB (at the Samsung shop when the phone was purchased).

These APPS will not show up on the google play account. I know only of one app that can make a back up and then restore apps with all the settings and data on another device, but the APP I'm talking about require root (Titanium Backup). The phone in question isn't rooted (yet).

Is there another app (not requiring root) that can make backups and then reinstall apps on another device?

Once I'm back on the land in 4 days, my GF and I will go look for a 2 SIM Note 3 for her at MBK, if we find one, she will move all her apps and data into a new phone and I'm taking her Note 3. smile.png

Still keeping my old S2 so here goes another question:

Is it possible to have 2 Android devices on one Google account? If yes, how does it work.

I will find out myself very soon, but if someone has done it already, I'd appreciate the headsup.

Is it possible to have 2 Android devices on one Google account? If yes, how does it work.

Yes. It just works. I have four (4) Android devices on one Google account.

What apps. are you talking about? Maybe just sideload the apk onto the new device?

Thanks for the multiple devices on one account answer.

The phone was loaded with lots of apps, I scrolled through, deleted couple and left do deal with the rest for another time, I'm at work now so can't look at her phone at the moment. She's at least using few of them and I think a few others may be useful too.

From the memory, one is the Sygic, another one is the Office suite pro, none of these are free and Sygic isn't cheap. I unfortunately don't have the APK files, the APPs were installed.

Nope didn't pay, they were side loaded at the official Samsung shop, seems to be a common practice here in Thai, that's why looking for a back up app of some sorts that can back up and restore the apps to another device.

^ OK, then those were licensed only for that device only. Not sure how easy or difficult it would be to "move" them to a different device. Suspect there might be issues, even if rooted and using TiBU, but this would be application specific.

I have some jigsaw puzzle games on my S2 that were removed from google play store (someone didn't like and complained about the sexy bikini models perhaps :D) after I upgraded from android 2.3.3 to 4.1.2 Titanium backup pro started complaining that the device ID changed and offered to change it back, I refused, it warned that some apps might not work, I clicked Ok and proceeded to restore my apps and data. All worked fine. Technically I moved my apps from my S2 back to my S2, but from software point of view, it was a new device.

I understand it may not work smooth again next time, but so far I'm happy with how Titanium backup performed.

Not sure if I want to root my GF's phone though, and I definitely don't want to mess around with her APPS, she almost killed me when I updated OS on her older iPhone and all her apps disappeared. :D

Just upgraded my phone (Note 2 > Note 3). These phones are not rooted. I have the APK's transferred to the new phone; it was pretty automatic when I went to Google Play the first time on the new phone. I also have Rerware's My Backup Pro.

What I did not anticipate was that the data files for the various apps I was using did not transfer. So I've lost (at least temporarily) numerous chat histories, blood pressure readings history, etc.

Anything out there for transferring not just Apps and data files (like photos, videos, etc), but also App Data? Without being rooted? It would make upgrading so much more seamless!

Sam, unfortunately your advice is of no help to me - going to the G store will not "transfer" or more accurately re-download the apps that were sideloaded into the phone (installed from the USB drive), but keep watching this topic, if someone posts an APP that can do this sort of transfers, it will be the answer for your and mine problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Shurup , you guided me to your post. Have not digested it, question of a layman = root or not root , relevance for my HTC One?

This post talks only about apps, I got all my apps from google . But what about files on my old HTC , photos, pdf etc , how to transfer those ?

Buddy, as I said in that other post, look for the link at the end of this topic (posts 14 or 15) the link will take you to a software that will help you transfer your info from one phone to the other. Click on that link, there are screen shots of that software, pretty self explanatory.

This tread itself has no relevance to your issue, only the link.

Hope it helped.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been using Tap and Go, this is a new feature in Android 5.x, and uses NFC and Bluetooth. Really simple, easy and straight-forward. You get prompted to use it during initial start up. Otherwise just use the old GMail account on the new phone, and eventually it will start downloading "old" apps, syncing account info (like Contacts), wtc.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6073630?hl=en

Transfer your Google Account information to a new device
This information applies only to devices running Android 5.0 and higher. Tap & Go is not available for Nexus 9 or Nexus 10 devices.
When you set up your device, you can quickly copy any Google Accounts, backed-up apps, and data from your current Android device to your new Android device using Tap & Go.
Your new device must be running Android 5.0 or higher, and your current device must be running Android 4.0 or higher and have NFC enabled.
When you're prompted to use Tap & Go during the setup wizard, follow these steps to complete the process:
Turn on and unlock your current device.
Make sure NFC is turned on for your current device. Learn how to turn on NFC.
Briefly place your current device and your new device back to back until your hear a sound confirming the touch.
When the screen on your current device says, "Copy accounts and data from this device?," touch OK. Keep in mind that Bluetooth will be used to complete this process.
The screen on your current device will lock. Use your pin, pattern, or password to unlock it.
When you get a notification on your current device that says, "New device setup completed," touch the notification.
If you have 2-Step Verification set up for you Google Account or don’t have a screen lock set up on your new device, you'll be asked to enter your account password.
When you're done, all your Google account data and associated apps will be available on your new device.

Sorry, overlooked these questions.

Yes, you can have 2 or more Android devices associated with one single Google account - I currently have three. Not sure I understand the second question, other than to say that it works. GMail, for example would get delivered to both/all phones. Other communication apps (voice, text, chat, IM, Line, et al.), are usually associated with a unique SIM/device.

• 1 month later...

I hope recent posters realize that the Original Topic Question is now coming up on 2 years old.

The OP may have found their answer around post #14 or #15.

As we get further along into the android ecosystem, copying already installed applications on a non-rooted phone will become more difficult as Google is rewriting phone security to disallow one application from reading the contents of other installed applications or data folders, or encrypting the installed application. So if the original APK is no longer on the device, you'll be out of luck.

There are utility apps that you can download from the playstore (or sideload) that will locate most APKs (installer files) found on an android device. Just remember that some APKs are universal while other APKs are device or android version specific, and the APK version copied might not function in another phone.

To find these utilities, just search for

Bluetooth App Sender

My App Sharer

I don't know why this topic is still getting replies??

The issues were sorted out by me simply buying another Note 3 and wife keeping her original Note 3.

I found no ways to transfer sideloaded apps from one device into another if the phones aren't rooted, just not possible.

With rooted phones it's quite easy - use the Titanium Backup.

This topic can now be closed unless posters want to continue discussing this topic and posting the replies that do not provide any help to the original question.

I don't know why this topic is still getting replies??

The issues were sorted out by me simply buying another Note 3 and wife keeping her original Note 3.

I found no ways to transfer sideloaded apps from one device into another if the phones aren't rooted, just not possible.

With rooted phones it's quite easy - use the Titanium Backup.

This topic can now be closed unless posters want to continue discussing this topic and posting the replies that do not provide any help to the original question.

Of course it's possible you use Samsung kies like i told you before

Archived