helmets

black fox

Thailand is a killer with the heat. My helmet turns into a sweat bucket when out on the road. I am looking for a cooler option, but do not know which helmets are known to better deal with the tropics or are actually available in Thailand. The full shell helmets which are getting more popular do not on first sight appear suited to the heat of Thailand, but not having ever worn one could not swear whether that is actually the case.

Pith helmetth.

My cycle helmet looks pretty well ventilated, but the sweat still streams off my head something dreadful. Drainage is probably as important as ventilation.

Does anyone have any recommendations on washing cycle helmets?

SC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally the sweat band inside the helmet is removable. If so wash it with some gentle soap working the soap into the sweatband foam and then rinse well and hang to dry. The same technique can be used if the sweat band is not removable. I use a stretchable headscarf to control the sweat. It works quite well as it's made out of microfiber and is easy to rinse out. It stops the sweat from running into my eyes.

Thailand is a killer with the heat. My helmet turns into a sweat bucket when out on the road. I am looking for a cooler option, but do not know which helmets are known to better deal with the tropics or are actually available in Thailand. The full shell helmets which are getting more popular do not on first sight appear suited to the heat of Thailand, but not having ever worn one could not swear whether that is actually the case.

Pith helmetth.

My cycle helmet looks pretty well ventilated, but the sweat still streams off my head something dreadful. Drainage is probably as important as ventilation.

Does anyone have any recommendations on washing cycle helmets?

SC

When I Googled images for "bicycle helmet for the tropics", the vast majority of hits were for Pith helemts. laugh.png I look enough of a berk without going down that road.

Hi

Use a giro aeon, very light, lot of air holes , but not cheap at all.

I had 3 cycling accidents in the past years, and for 2 of them I was more than glad to wear a helmet, that changed my hospital stay from days to hours, both times the 200 Euro helmet had to be replaced.

Still cheaper than buying a new head !

Beware of the motorbikes, was hit right from behind last month south of jomtien, was riding cs 30km/h , the motorvike drove ca 70 km/h, and my bike and myself were in pieces,,,,

-:))

Wenne

Hi

I had 3 cycling accidents in the past years, and for 2 of them I was more than glad to wear a helmet, that changed my hospital stay from days to hours, both times the 200 Euro helmet had to be replaced.

Still cheaper than buying a new head !

Beware of the motorbikes, was hit right from behind last month south of jomtien, was riding cs 30km/h , the motorvike drove ca 70 km/h, and my bike and myself were in pieces,,,,

-smile.png)

Wenne

It looks like I will have to shell out quite a bit of money. From very preliminary searches of what is available here, I am looking at about 4,000 Baht.

Hope you have got over your accident and put yourself back together.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I finally gave in and bought a helmet while in Hawaii recently. I tried on different makes and models until I found one that really felt good. It turned out to be a Giro Aeon and it is much cooler than my old hat used to be. Like you said, very light but not cheap. ;-)

10014949_10203664511236419_1690767278_o.

• Like 2

Hi

I finally gave in and bought a helmet while in Hawaii recently. I tried on different makes and models until I found one that really felt good. It turned out to be a Giro Aeon and it is much cooler than my old hat used to be. Like you said, very light but not cheap. ;-)

10014949_10203664511236419_1690767278_o.

Very nice, I also have the Giro Aeon (Livestrong edition), and just replaced it last month with a Giro Air Attack Shield. I was expecting the new one to be much hotter on my rides, but have been pleasantly surprised that despite the lack of ventilation holes its actually not much different, although slightly hotter, having the sun shield mounted on the helmet rather than wearing sunglasses I find is far more comfortable on long rides. I picked mine up in the UK, as its far cheaper there than here (plus the local importer, TCA, didn't have my size anyway).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience with a Rudy Project Windmax or Airstorm? They are on sale in Thailand, but before splashing out it would be nice to know if they are really as airy as they claim.

Edited by GarryP

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wearing a Specialized Prevail. It's not cheap by a long shot but is very light, and airy and offers me the protection I'm seeking on those long tours.

I recently got one of these also, and whilst definitely not cheap (I paid 8000 baht, including discount) it is remarkably light though strong, and very well ventilated.

I saw a Canadian girl hit the pavement right in front of me going only about 20 km per hour. Broken jaw, several teeth knocked out, and the helmet was absolutely flat on one side where she hit the curb. Doctors said the helmet saved her life. It is indeed worth wearing one at all times, even on a short jaunt around the moo baan. Lots of great advice on this thread about fit, weight, and air flow, but it does take more work in Thailand to find a good one.

I had a bit of a problem ith my Prevail after a year and a half of lots of long distance riding throughout Southeast Asia. The headband adjusted broke along one side. The pads are beginning to break apart as well. I contacted Specialized in BKK and they are going to provide me with a new helmet at no cost. Apparently the inside headband adjuster is out of stock at the main office in USA. It's the best helmet I've ever worn due to its lightweight (210gms) and lots of ventilation.

• 1 month later...

Here's some food for thought, echoing my sentiments in a previous post.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10866273/Cycle-helmets-are-useless-says-brain-surgeon.html

Maybe he's just trying to drum up business. I hope I can get through my life saying "Wearing a helmet was a waste of time", but it's not a gamble I want to take. I'm not sure I would take advice on cycling from a chap that cycled in cowboy boots.

All the professional cyclists I see on television wear helmets. I'm more minded to follow their example.

I don't necessarily think that a high proportion of accidents are caused by people misjudging a small distance to the cyclist; I think most are caused by people not seeing the cyclist, so a brightly coloured helmet is going to help a tiny bit on that score, too

SC

Here's some food for thought, echoing my sentiments in a previous post.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10866273/Cycle-helmets-are-useless-says-brain-surgeon.html

I don't necessarily think that a high proportion of accidents are caused by people misjudging a small distance to the cyclist; I think most are caused by people not seeing the cyclist...

SC

Agree on that....

Well I've just added to my helmet collection; bought a Smith Forefront.

Not cheap, but it seems to fit well and I have high hopes for the protection and ventilation claimed.

Planning a test soon - just the ventilation part I hope. cool.png

Marsh, who retires in March, also admitted jumping red lights to get ahead of the traffic.

“It’s my life at risk,” he said, ‘So I regularly cross over red lights.”

http://www.telegraph...in-surgeon.html

So a guy who is not wearing a helmet and by his own admission regularly jumps red traffic lights is telling us that helmets are useless. I will consider his advice as brainless and downright irresponsible, politely put.

A few weeks ago I was riding my MTB westbound on the southern sidewalk of Aksa Road. The smooth surface made me somewhat complacent so I failed to recognize in time a (pretty obvious, yes) caved in concrete sewer cover close to the intersection with Putthamonton Sai 4. In panic I pulled both brakes, the front fork compressed fully when the wheel went into the "ditch" and I did a semi somersault with the bike detaching from me in mid air. I suffered substantial loss of skin on my right arm from shoulder to below elbow and on both knees. While hitting the ground I felt a heavy impact on my helmet. I had no chance to avoid that and I still do not know where my head landed on. I am convinced that without my helmet this would have ended badly. Thanks to this "useless" device I was able to continue my trip, bleeding and shaking a bit, but otherwise fine. I just had a few visits to the hospital to clean the wounds and have my vaccination status checked.

Marsh, you suck!

• Like 2

What I don't understand is why there are (?) no safety standards when it comes to helmets in Thailand. What is the purpose of having and enforcing helmet laws if the quality of popular helmets are not much better than cardboard? To get Thais inti the habit of wearing them ? To give opportunities to police for shakedowns at the expense of thise who ride without helmets? To promote the 'helmet' industry? It's like legislating condom use made of paper bags.

What I don't understand is why there are (?) no safety standards when it comes to helmets in Thailand. What is the purpose of having and enforcing helmet laws if the quality of popular helmets are not much better than cardboard? To get Thais inti the habit of wearing them ? To give opportunities to police for shakedowns at the expense of thise who ride without helmets? To promote the 'helmet' industry? It's like legislating condom use made of paper bags.

Understood Hermespan. I think the situation here is in relation to bicycle helmets and wearing them, or not. AS such, I think users prefer helmets certified for use in other markets: eg Snell or Ansi.

Your plea for safety standards is valid though, not only in Thailand. Food for thought: the reason there are no lightweight bicycle helmets with chinguard sold in the USA - for example- is that a manufacturer would have to comply with USA safety standards written to comply with motorcycle/motorsport requirements. So for teeth/mandible protection, you are forced to buy a DH helmet. Luckily, you can buy something like a Caso Viper [removable chin guard] from Germany. TUV / ISO approved.

Brings us back to the original argument really: should I wear a helmet?

What is the purpose of having and enforcing helmet laws if the quality of popular helmets are not much better than cardboard?

Good question. After 20 years in this country, I came to the conclusion that laws in Thailand are often interpreted as suggestions rather than mandatory rules. So, either you see the light and buy a proper helmet, or you don't and have the option of wearing cardboard.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

I enjoy the fact that Thailand is not a rigid rules based society and one is allowed to be creative and color outside the lines if you wish. I didn’t wear a helmet before but I do now. I am not sure I am wearing it for protection or not, but hey, it looks good.smile.png

Village

While I'm not looking for stringent (US style) enforcement something similar to law enforcement would be appreciated. Talk about coloring outside the lines. I don't there are any lines at all. The entire population operates in a "free style" mode.

Helmets are fashion accessories only, you shouldn't feel compelled to buy one. It's highly unlikely that one will save your life or even lessen injury.

nonsense, i have taken chunks out of or cracked several helmets mountain biking.

what do you think i would have damaged without a helmet?

Edited by HooHaa

Village

While I'm not looking for stringent (US style) enforcement something similar to law enforcement would be appreciated. Talk about coloring outside the lines. I don't there are any lines at all. The entire population operates in a "free style" mode.

“Wild West”, “free style” or whatever you want to call it, many are drawn here because of it. Having lived here my entire adult life, I can’t be relied upon to give a genuine “farang” perspective on the right way or the wrong way, so I just do it my way. Personally I really like free choice, besides, I don’t feel qualified to dictate how others should live.

• Like 1

Village

In that case why have any laws at all? I like free choice as well but there has to be limits. Unfortunately, Thais do not comprehend limits or for that matter common sense. I suspect that's why Thailand has one of the highest accident rates in the world.

Village

In that case why have any laws at all? I like free choice as well but there has to be limits. Unfortunately, Thais do not comprehend limits or for that matter common sense. I suspect that's why Thailand has one of the highest accident rates in the world.

There are laws and limits but in my opinion they are used by the authorities for leverage instead of blanket suppression. You only enforce rules when absolutely necessary, which seems very civilized to me. You are still free to do as you wish but you can’t come back and complain in case of an accident because it is after all against the law. At least that is how is appears to me.

• Like 1

So what you're saying is that "selective enforcement" is an ok thing. It's ok for the cops to stand on a corner and pull over motorists but to go stop a motorist from driving on the wrong side of the road is unnecessary even though it's extremely dangerous. It's ok to mandate helmets for motorcyclists but enforcement is only carried out by traffic police when they feel like it.

"You only enforce rules when absolutely necessary, which seems very civilized to me." You can't be serious as no civilized society operates this way. Maybe this is one reason why Thailand has never progressed beyond 3rd world status.