helmets

black fox

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox I wold say the major differences between helmets is primarily in fit and weight. I couldn't find an inexpensive helmet that fit me nor one which was light.. I finally opted for a Specilized S Works Prevail. It was expensive but it fit wonderfully and was featherlight. This was important for me because I ride long distances over many months while on tour and an illfitting heavy helmet can really become uncomfortable. I would suggest you find someething that fits well and is affordable.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another thing to remember in hot Thailand is the air flow. Cheaper helmets often have less openings (holes). Keep in mind: Fit, weight, air-flow, quality and design. And last but not least, the price tag :)

But most important: You should feel good wearing it. If not you most likely will not wear the helmet.

• Like 1

Fully agree Wantan. I hadn't thought about air flow. I never go anywhere without my helmet. I been involved in two mishaps (run off the road by a pickup and hit by a young boy on a motorbike. Both time my head hit the pavement with no injuries.

• Like 1

I've got a Prowell Lightning. Nice for the money, but I find I just don't use it, even for short rides.

Use a Specialized Vice mostly. Lighter, Cooler, Better protection - but more THB!!!

Therein lies the crux - Performance, Protection, [Cheap] Price - pick two.....

Like most things, protection and performance vs money spent is subject to the law of diminishing returns. i.e. Twice as much money spent will not make the helmet twice as protective nor provide double the cooling/comfort.

However, there is probably a mid range sweet spot which offers value.

As a wiser man than I once said, " if you've got a $10 brain - buy a $10 helmet "smile.png

• 1 month later...

Helmets are fashion accessories only, you shouldn't feel compelled to buy one. It's highly unlikely that one will save your life or even lessen injury.

sure they are, go to a local hospital or public dental surgeon and get back to us

back in the real world

I've been using a full face mtb helmet recently, restricted air flow is a problem but after many years on dirt bikes

its not to bad and by far the greatest protection.

few strange looks and kids tell me im wearing a motocycle helmet 555

• Like 2

Helmets are fashion accessories only, you shouldn't feel compelled to buy one. It's highly unlikely that one will save your life or even lessen injury.

By now we have a few studies that convincingly show that this statement is nonsense. The majority of the studies come to the conclusion that cycling helmets reduce the risk of head injury, but that they do not eliminate it. There are also different helmets offering different degrees of protection, whereas the downhill style full face helmet offers the best protection against skull and jaw fractures.

Personally, I never go without a helmet. I am also wearing gloves and glasses/goggles and find them equally essential. When I am riding trails, I wear pads and knee protectors, as we mountain bikers tend to crash more often than road riders. From my own experience I can say this has saved me some trouble.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

sure they are, go to a local hospital or public dental surgeon and get back to us

back in the real world

I've been using a full face mtb helmet recently, restricted air flow is a problem but after many years on dirt bikes

its not to bad and by far the greatest protection.

few strange looks and kids tell me im wearing a motocycle helmet 555

How does a helmet protect your teeth ?

Well, I've been cycling all my life and never needed one. I've never cycled with anyone who has had an accident like those described above either, so I guess you guys are unlucky.

I don't think its helpful to make claims about studies showing this and that until you can show who they are conducted by and link directly to the research.

lastly, if you are going off road then yes I would say you need a helmet but if you are cycling on the road and experienced, I personally think its a waste of money to buy one.

Just my opinion dude. Helmets, like most cycling attire, are over-priced. I've seen cycle shirts go for 4000 baht and seen T-shirt made from the same material go for 300 baht in sports world.

Like I said, if you want to look the part, then go for it.

I don't think it's anything at all like "looking the part". I've only been cycling for about 6-7 years and most of my riding is long distance touring throughout SEA. I've met a number of men and women, young and old touring cyclists as well as everyday cyclists on the road. Many wear cycling clothing and some do not but nearly 100% all wear a helmet gloves, and eyeprotection. You just never know when an accident will occur. It's the same reason I use a safety belt when driving my car.

In my opinion cycling clothing is much more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt and shorts especially here in heat of SEA. It's also much, much, much easier to care for while touring. Cycling clothing is available here in Thailand in all price ranges to suit anyone's wallet. I also ride with a group of Thai cyclists on the weekend and 100% of them wear helmets, eye protection, gloves and cycling clothing of one type or another. If you don't like spandex shorts you can always switch to MTB shorts which I use all the time as I find them much more comfortable.

Helmets, like most cycling attire, are over-priced. I've seen cycle shirts go for 4000 baht and seen T-shirt made from the same material go for 300 baht in sports world.

Helmets are indeed a little expensive in Thailand, at least the good ones, but I would not hesitate spending 3,000-4,000 THB if it is light, ventilated, and fits really well. A good helmet makes a big difference, especially if you go on longer tours. As for shirts and jerseys, you are right. You can find pretty nice ones made from quick-drying material for 300-500 THB in Thailand. Same goes for glasses and gloves. No need to buy the most expensive designer wear. Shoes are different topic, because it's difficult to find "Farang" sized cycling shoes in Thailand, but I am quite happy with regular running shoes.

One more word on the helmet efficacy debate. Most of the studies only consider data from reported head injuries gathered from hospitals. IMO this skews the results, because it completely disregards non-injuries that result from lighter impacts. Non-inuires obviously don't get reported, however, this may be the area where the benefit of protective clothing is the greatest, namely the type of lighter and much more frequent impacts that would cause abrasions, bruises, lacerations and concussions without protective clothing.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

I'm riding with a Specialized S Works helmet. It wasn't cheap but it is well ventilated and very light. I had a difficult time trying to find a helmet to fit my head comfortably. I have some cervical (neck) problems and the light weight of this helmet helps prevent neck soreness. I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to protecting whatever grey matter I still have.

Fully agree Wantan. I hadn't thought about air flow. I never go anywhere without my helmet. I been involved in two mishaps (run off the road by a pickup and hit by a young boy on a motorbike. Both time my head hit the pavement with no injuries.

Was that in Bangkok may I ask?

I would estimate that 75% of my mtb rides are on dirt with the remainder being quiet village roads connecting the dirt. My rides are mainly 40-50 km and I average around 20 km/h, give or take depending on the terrain. I ride alone and do not wear a helmet. I use a farmer hat with a skirt around it for sun protection.

I am not overly aggressive and I am not a klutz, so don’t fall off of things. I never dropped my motorcycle and I don’t drop my mtb. That said, if I do come across a different kind of headgear which I like more than what I am wearing I will not be reluctant to change. I just don’t feel it is necessary to conform to biking norms unless you are entering competitions where they require certain things.

I have a picture for everything so here is an old shot that shows what I continue to wear. The bike itself has a bunch of new stuff on it, most recently I added custom wheels and new rubber.

mt+bike++13.jpg

• Like 1

I would estimate that 75% of my mtb rides are on dirt with the remainder being quiet village roads connecting the dirt. My rides are mainly 40-50 km and I average around 20 km/h, give or take depending on the terrain. I ride alone and do not wear a helmet. I use a farmer hat with a skirt around it for sun protection.
I am not overly aggressive and I am not a klutz, so don’t fall off of things. I never dropped my motorcycle and I don’t drop my mtb. That said, if I do come across a different kind of headgear which I like more than what I am wearing I will not be reluctant to change. I just don’t feel it is necessary to conform to biking norms unless you are entering competitions where they require certain things.
I have a picture for everything so here is an old shot that shows what I continue to wear. The bike itself has a bunch of new stuff on it, most recently I added custom wheels and new rubber.
mt+bike++13.jpg

Nice to see someone can think for themselves.

• Like 1

I never dropped my motorcycle and I don’t drop my mtb.

I find that a bit hard to believe. OK, I don't know your riding style, but even if you ride conservatively and well within your limits, there are contingencies in mountain biking. A bit of moss under the front tyre, slippery leaves, a mud puddle that is deeper than anticipated, a hidden rock or root... all can bring you down quite easily.

Never had one of these?

Cheers, CM-Expat

I never dropped my motorcycle and I don’t drop my mtb.

I find that a bit hard to believe. OK, I don't know your riding style, but even if you ride conservatively and well within your limits, there are contingencies in mountain biking. A bit of moss under the front tyre, slippery leaves, a mud puddle that is deeper than anticipated, a hidden rock or root... all can bring you down quite easily.

Never had one of these?

Cheers, CM-Expat

On occasion I have to put a foot down if I lose traction on a difficult climb. Riding alone, I do not find myself riding in the testosterone fog of male competition.
I am not shy about walking a few meters if a section is beyond my ability. Maybe I am riding the bunny trails but I am more cross-country than downhill by nature.
Some days I am more focused on photography and sightseeing than riding. On other days I am looking for a new route which slows me down considerably because I hate to backtrack. I suppose I am a bit of a control freak and have a low tolerance for mistakes, as well.
  • Like 1

On occasion I have to put a foot down if I lose traction on a difficult climb. Riding alone, I do not find myself riding in the testosterone fog of male competition.
I am not shy about walking a few meters if a section is beyond my ability. Maybe I am riding the bunny trails but I am more cross-country than downhill by nature.

Interesting. Losing traction on a climb is rarely critical. Losing traction downhill at 30 kph might be. Anyway, most MTB riders do crash sometimes. I would probably not learn anything if I don't leave my safety/comfort zone, because learning happens at the limit of my current skill level. Unfortunately, that means that there is a greater chance of crashing, though I try to keep it reasonable, of course.

Cheers, CM-Expat