Water quality

cheeryble

I personally am not the least concerned, after all humans have developed drinking anything from nice stream water to dirty water from stagnant water from ponds and puddles or wherever it happens to collect. Rather like my dog.

However I'd like facts to understand someone else's fear of city water in general and learn about CM in particular.

There are areas of Thailand that have arsenic traces in ground water. The lifetime cancer rate goes up with increased arsenic levels. I had my deep water well tested for all kinds of stuff (for about 4500 baht on Chiangrai University grounds, at a privately run lab.) and I had arsenic at the lowest end of detection. Increased cancer rate about 1 in 1,000,000 if you're using it for drinking water. Google, google. There is an arsenic distribution map of Thailand. Chiangmai may get it's water from the Ping river. Probably no arsenic, but detectable levels of insecticide, herbicide, mercury, etc. I would imagine, but don't really know.

I don't like chilled water, and as I have it at room temperature I often forget and fill a glass from the tap and drink half of it before realising it probably isn't wise. bah.gif

Hasn't killed me yet, and I do it at least once a week. And it tastes no different to the filtered now - it had a very strong chlorine smell for a few months earlier this year.

Municipal water in Chiang Mai comes from the Ping, Mae Taeng, and Mae Kuang rivers. Also the Ban Umong reservoir at the base of Doi Suthep.

Supposedly the water is regularly tested by the local authorities to meet WHO standards. But having little trust in any government, anywhere, I've always felt safer drinking bottled water.

If you buy it from a reputable company in 5 gallon bottles it doesn't cost that much, and is worth the peace of mind.

We get that two boxes of bottled water every week from a local company, cost 35B for 20x1l bottles. They come every Friday morning for delivery. Tastes much better than any water you can get in Bangkok, even without testing I'm sure I'm way better off with the drinking water here now. For everything else an 80m deep pump, no water from the city here.

We get that two boxes of bottled water every week from a local company, cost 35B for 20x1l bottles. They come every Friday morning for delivery. Tastes much better than any water you can get in Bangkok, even without testing I'm sure I'm way better off with the drinking water here now. For everything else an 80m deep pump, no water from the city here.

Yes, the 1 litre bottles would be more convenient than the 5 gallon bottles.

But years ago we got a locally made contraption that you put the big plastic bottle in, and by means of a handle you tip it to pour.

Works for us.

I'm sure this subject has been covered before at some point do a search,,,I personally don't give a....there are a lot of other things that are likely to kill me in Chiang Mai, we drink the water that we buy from the house across the street which is apparently some sort of special water so my wife tells me, the likelihood is it's the same tap water that I mix my Sangsom with smile.png

Edited by anonymouse

The water might leave the treatment plant ,good enough to drink,BUT

contamination can occur on the way to your house,through leaky pipes,

i would not drink water out of the tap for that reason.

sometimes its best not to know whats in some of the food,water we

consume,but we are happy drinking Glacier water in glass bottles,have

done for years without a problem.

regards Worgeordie