Need to take large amount if $$ out if Thailand

wjuranek

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously! You need to cut down on your caffeine intake! And/or do some meditation.

If the OP wants to carry that much cash with him, he just needs to declare it to Customs when he enters the U.S. It probably would not be a bad idea to keep a copy of the record(s) of the wire transfer(s) that he did moving the money out of the US. Then, if any questions are asked, he can show them that.

See "How much currency / money / monetary instruments can I bring into the U.S.?"

There is no super double-secret nefarious conspiracy behind this requirement and other associated required reporting that banks must do. It's a result of the "Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act" and is part of the efforts to fight against money laundering operations, primarily by organized crime and narcotics trafficking organizations.

I do consume quite a bit of coffee throughout the day. It's quite possible I could use more meditation, but these issues would not change what I posted above.

I agree, there is no super double-secret nefarious conspiracy behind this requirement. Most of these requirements are wide-open for all to see, except many can't see them for what they truly are.

I do admire the "efforts to fight against money laundering operation, primarily by organized crime and narcotics trafficking organizations" shtick, but unfortunately, I don't buy it for one second. You can call me a "conspiracy nut" or "fruitcake", until your tongue is bleeding. Something has always stunk in Denmark. It's just taken a loooong time for most people to wake up.

Anyway, peace, love and happiness to all. I'm heading out for another massive cafe latte. Zoom Zoom!

hope nobody has a Chase Manhattan account. They're really screwed now with a business saving account. One can't swift money into foreign country and ATM international is limited to peanuts.

the suggestion of buying physical gold or silver is the best in my opinion. silver has a better prospect for now.

• Like 1

Yes.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand foreign currency bank notes in an aggregate amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

I brought about 35000GBP into Thailand from the UK, so it would seem I should have declared it, the only way I would have been caught is in a routine check. If that had happened, would the customs have taken some of it off me?

• Like 2

Better to take out bit by bit or in jewelry. Any cash in big amounts are usually disallowed and I know for sure even the Indonesian girls bring back jewelry by wearing it on their bodies and having it in the cake too on board. Some years ago, Mohd Taib of Malaysia, then the Menteri Besar of Selangor was stopped by checkpoint for carrying a few million dollars back to Malaysia from and to Australia. We thought he was acting silly doing this despite the diiplomatic channel.

Yes.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand foreign currency bank notes in an aggregate amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

I brought about 35000GBP into Thailand from the UK, so it would seem I should have declared it, the only way I would have been caught is in a routine check. If that had happened, would the customs have taken some of it off me?

Please tell me you didn't bring cash on the plane?

Yes.

Please tell me it wasn't in your checked-in luggage.

Yes.

Please tell me it wasn't in your checked-in luggage.

I did, it wasn't. It was on my person the whole time.

• Like 1

Swap it with somebody, who needs to bring in money to TH.

Maybe even somebody, who wants to buy a house in TH... leaves the money at a bank outside ( a third party bank account at a notary or so ) and you pay for him/her in TH

I can imagine, a trading co like me, who needs to pay for containers leaving TH towards EU, could pay to a bank outside TH, and you to a bank inside TH for the value you get outside. The banks ( or notary or ?/? as... maybe you trust me, but I not you or opposite, so need a trustworthy place in between) release the one to the other and you have money in... Hong Kong, Singapore, Cayman islands, New York...

By this, you work as a one-time multinational trading co.

Better to take out bit by bit or in jewelry. Any cash in big amounts are usually disallowed and I know for sure even the Indonesian girls bring back jewelry by wearing it on their bodies and having it in the cake too on board. Some years ago, Mohd Taib of Malaysia, then the Menteri Besar of Selangor was stopped by checkpoint for carrying a few million dollars back to Malaysia from and to Australia. We thought he was acting silly doing this despite the diiplomatic channel.

I remember that incident well. The undeclared limit in Australia is $A10,000 in or out - you can have much more but must declare it. He actually had much more but got away with it because he claimed he could not understand English! I was living in Malaysia at the time and had a hard time convincing my Malaysian friends that the Australian courts were not corrupt. His nick name in Malaysia was Mr 10%. Enough said.

Very easy. I sold my land for over $300,000 and over a 7 day period transferred under $50,000 every day back to the US. Just bring your bank docs saying the money came into Thailand from the US. Anything over $50,000 the B of T gets involved. If you have a personal banker it's even easier.

Put $10,000 in your pocket then get a US$ check for $20,000 drawn on a US bank. Now that $20,000 will be reported to the IRS when it is deposited in the USA, Otherwise just put the $30K in pocket or bag.

Seriously! You need to cut down on your caffeine intake! And/or do some meditation.

If the OP wants to carry that much cash with him, he just needs to declare it to Customs when he enters the U.S. It probably would not be a bad idea to keep a copy of the record(s) of the wire transfer(s) that he did moving the money out of the US. Then, if any questions are asked, he can show them that.

See "How much currency / money / monetary instruments can I bring into the U.S.?"

There is no super double-secret nefarious conspiracy behind this requirement and other associated required reporting that banks must do. It's a result of the "Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act" and is part of the efforts to fight against money laundering operations, primarily by organized crime and narcotics trafficking organizations.

I do consume quite a bit of coffee throughout the day. It's quite possible I could use more meditation, but these issues would not change what I posted above.

I agree, there is no super double-secret nefarious conspiracy behind this requirement. Most of these requirements are wide-open for all to see, except many can't see them for what they truly are.

I do admire the "efforts to fight against money laundering operation, primarily by organized crime and narcotics trafficking organizations" shtick, but unfortunately, I don't buy it for one second. You can call me a "conspiracy nut" or "fruitcake", until your tongue is bleeding. Something has always stunk in Denmark. It's just taken a loooong time for most people to wake up.

Anyway, peace, love and happiness to all. I'm heading out for another massive cafe latte. Zoom Zoom!

hope nobody has a Chase Manhattan account. They're really screwed now with a business saving account. One can't swift money into foreign country and ATM international is limited to peanuts.

the suggestion of buying physical gold or silver is the best in my opinion. silver has a better prospect for now.

Factually incorrect! Chase Banking changed their rules on international wire transfers for one type of business checking account, the "Chase Total Business Checking", their basic business checking account.

Is Chase forbidding international wire transfers; No!

Is Chase trying to get businesses to "upgrade" their account so that Chase can make more money; Yes!

The bank’s basic business account, Chase Total Business Checking, does not allow outgoing international wire transfers (it does allow them to come in)...

<snip>

Upgrade to Chase’s Performance Business Checking and there’s no cash activity limit. Plus, you get two domestic wires transfers per month at no charge and international wires are available for an additional fee. Of course, there’s a $20 monthly fee that’s waived if you can maintain $50,000 balance.

wire it back in amounts less than $10000. You get caught with cash for whatever reason, you're going to have to prove it didn't come from

something illicit or it's gone. That's usually very hard to do even with the proof.

You have money, the police can and will take it if they can. wire it in small amounts under 10k is what i would do.