War on Traffic: Tow zones to expand throughout Bangkok

webfact

Just looking at those photos in the OP I can see how much it is helping the over crowded road.

1380835_176285255893646_476993160_n.jpg?

I drove along by Kaset today and all the no parking signs were up on the pavement. No one was parking. So it was full of stopped taxis with their engines running, vendors had their stalls out there, etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A significant step in the right direction and indeed it should be applied in all major cities in order to assist in the awful traffic jams that make life here intolerable.

It would have made for better reporting if the actual number of vehicles towed away was mentioned, however the odds are that this will simply be a flash in the pan as this nation has little credibility in maintaining anything.

I doubt they will stop it. To many new tow trucks to just say OK boys were going back to illegal parking

Wouldn't surprise me to see this expand to other cities.

traffic is bad most of the day,whether they are cars parked illegal or not.but it may make it easier and the money or tea money goes to a good cause I,am sure

I don't think there will be that much tea money. People will come out and find there car gone. The tow truck drivers aren't going to take tea money as there is to much in towing and storage charges. They sure aren't going to remain silent if they see a cop taking tea money.

Just looking at those photos in the OP I can see how much it is helping the over crowded road.

I drove along by Kaset today and all the no parking signs were up on the pavement. No one was parking. So it was full of stopped taxis with their engines running, vendors had their stalls out there, etc.

ouch hadn't figured that in. I guess that is where the tea money will come from.

As for team money.

I'm sure the legal proceeds will be shared around a little for all the extra work and not just flow instantly upwards.

Everyone happy, they have the national coverage of them towing away cars. Time for some black label and a new 18 yr old mia noi.

I think it's a good plan. If they also tow away the taxi's/mini vans who are parked at bus stops.

Yes at many places near my home the minivans and the taxis take up 2 extra lanes leaving only 1 for normal traffic and causing troubles. During rush-our a police officer will come and scare them off.. wonder why not all the time.

• Like 1

The photo shows the car being towed backwards... This maybe a daft question as I know there is steering lock when the car is locked, but I'll shoot anyway:

Is towing the car backwards safe ? the front wheels are not always straight and may movie, no ?

Towing a front wheel drive car backwards is safe. But not good for front wheel drive cars. But who really cares? Tow the car from wherever the tow truck can get access.

Saw a big Caddy, years ago in New Orleans, going side ways as it was pushed around a corner by the tow truck. The police were clearing out Burbon Street in the morning before it was blocked off for the weekend.

ouch hadn't figured that in. I guess that is where the tea money will come from.

The only problem is that the idiot towtruck driver is towing a front-wheel drive auto, by the rear axle. Duh!

The only problem is that the idiot towtruck driver is towing a front-wheel drive auto, by the rear axle. Duh!

Does anyone notice all the bumper-to-bumper traffic on that street?

BIB Giving 4D numbers out here rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think it's a good plan. If they also tow away the taxi's/mini vans who are parked at bus stops.

Yes at many places near my home the minivans and the taxis take up 2 extra lanes leaving only 1 for normal traffic and causing troubles. During rush-our a police officer will come and scare them off.. wonder why not all the time.

beer money whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

The photo shows the car being towed backwards... This maybe a daft question as I know there is steering lock when the car is locked, but I'll shoot anyway:

Is towing the car backwards safe ? the front wheels are not always straight and may movie, no ?

The transmission will be totally ruined, by the time it gets to the impound lot. There must be a real "cognitive processing link" missing in that towtruck driver's brain.

As long as the steering wheel is unlocked, the front wheels will track just fine.

As long as the transmission is put in neutral, the transmission will not be affected. Real wheel drive are commonly towed by their front end with no damage to the transmission.

The transmission will be totally ruined, by the time it gets to the impound lot. There must be a real "cognitive processing link" missing in that towtruck driver's brain.

The car will be nearly impossible to tow if left in gear (pure drag and squealing tires) and yes the transmission would be ruined. What they do is shift the transmission into neutral before they tow. If you can't get to the shifter and put it in neutral, then you tow rear wheel drives cars by lifting the rear and front wheel drive cars by lifting the front. One doesn't stay in the towing business long by destroying one's tow trucks by pulling cars in a way that puts a strain on one's tow trucks. Tow trucks cost too much money to use stupidly.

Does anyone notice all the bumper-to-bumper traffic on that street?

or the really large truck parked in the same fashion right in front of the tow truck?

I care about the transmission of illegally parked cars as the operator did/does a/b other drivers use of the roads.