October 25, 201312 yr My insurance companies in Sweden demand a Life Certificate every year to know that I am still alive. So far I have had it stamped in Chon Buri Immigration in Sri Racha, but today they refused, "we have stopped stamping Life certificates". Is it like this now everywhere in Thailand or is it something they invented locally?
October 25, 201312 yr Why would immigration do this? That sounds as if it should be a function of your Embassy Consulate section as a service to citizens. It has nothing to do with Thailand. So suspect they were doing this as a favor to you in the past but have ceased such activity?
October 26, 201312 yr You could try at a police station or "thetsabaan" too. I tried that here in Kalasin but not until I had it translated to thai the boss at thetsabaan signed and stamped it. Or, as said, go to the embassy.
October 26, 201312 yr Author I agree, it is not a typical immigration job, but they have done it before. Police here also refuse. So I will have to go to Pattaya or Bangkok. How about retired persons from other EU countries? You also need to provide Life Certificate every year?
October 26, 201312 yr I agree, it is not a typical immigration job, but they have done it before. Police here also refuse. So I will have to go to Pattaya or Bangkok. How about retired persons from other EU countries? You also need to provide Life Certificate every year? I do. But believe it is not an EU-directive. More a common sense requirement to check that persons receiving benefits are still alive. But the requirements differ greatly. Some allow you to send a signed copy of a valid passport as proof, while others want to have a form completed by the police, local registrar, mayor or whatever.
October 26, 201312 yr Wouldn't the fact that you are paying your annual insurance premium every year without a claim be enough for the insurance company to know that you are still alive?
October 26, 201312 yr I agree, it is not a typical immigration job, but they have done it before. Police here also refuse. So I will have to go to Pattaya or Bangkok. How about retired persons from other EU countries? You also need to provide Life Certificate every year? Rules for Brits recently changed. Now all DWP require is a signature from someone who fits the same criteria as a counter signatory to passport photos (& that's been made easier too!) HTH Edited October 26, 201312 yr by evadgib
October 26, 201312 yr Wouldn't the fact that you are paying your annual insurance premium every year without a claim be enough for the insurance company to know that you are still alive? Could be in some cases that it's life assurance and the contributions have now finished (as per the policy) but benefits continue until death.
October 26, 201312 yr For the U.S., I get a snail mailed form once a year from the Social Security Administration, fill it in, and snail it back to them. The form clearly states that failure do do so within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits. No other "certification" required, just my chop. BTW, seem to remember some time back, 15 years or more, that the older U.S. guys had to trot down to the Embassy with their passports to do this. Reckon the SSA just wanted to verify liveliness before continuing payments. Mac
October 26, 201312 yr Author In my case it is actually pension and supplementary pension benefits. I think this has a history from many immigrants came to Sweden and worked, sent money home and eventually retired in their home country. When a few died nobody reported the decease, rather continued to receive the benefits. So it is justified but I think the idea with a copy of valid passport sounds a good idea.
August 2, 201412 yr Has anybody have experience with life certificate for pension benefit. Some say go to immigration, some say City hall or the amphur...... I know embassy does it but thats a long way to go....I have to do every month (stay Pattaya) Before they told me immigration did it free service......but now they take 200 bath for it without receipt !!!!!!!!!!
August 3, 201412 yr I agree, it is not a typical immigration job, but they have done it before. Police here also refuse. So I will have to go to Pattaya or Bangkok. How about retired persons from other EU countries? You also need to provide Life Certificate every year? I do. But believe it is not an EU-directive. More a common sense requirement to check that persons receiving benefits are still alive. But the requirements differ greatly. Some allow you to send a signed copy of a valid passport as proof, while others want to have a form completed by the police, local registrar, mayor or whatever. As Belgium pesioners expatts we have to deliver every year a proof of life, form send to us around our birthday , for civil servants even twice (they receive high pensions ) a year . We may pas Embassy to receive in person , or certificate doctor, or (new from now) a picture holding a newspaper with date clear to see , after that they stamp send hte form we send them before . Edited August 3, 201412 yr by david555
August 3, 201412 yr In my case it is actually pension and supplementary pension benefits. I think this has a history from many immigrants came to Sweden and worked, sent money home and eventually retired in their home country. When a few died nobody reported the decease, rather continued to receive the benefits. So it is justified but I think the idea with a copy of valid passport sounds a good idea. Is it? Surely those who were responsible for reporting that you had popped your clogs but had conveniently omitted to do this could, in theory, still claim your benefits for the remaining lifetime of your passport if this were to fall into their hands?
Create an account or sign in to comment