Thailand in mourning

webfact

Nation in mourning
The Nation

30218036-02_big.jpg

Thirty-day period of mourning; thousands pay obeisance as Supreme Patriarch's body is taken to Wat Bowonnives Vihara

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND YESTERDAY began a 30-day period of national mourning over the passing away of His Holiness the Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara, with flags being flown at half-mast and thousands of mourners turning out to pay their respects.

The government yesterday extended the mourning period from 15 days announced earlier in the day to 30 days, according to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. She said that in addition to flying the flags at half-mast, state agencies and public officials were instructed to wear black for 30 days.

Yingluck said she made the instruction in a Prime Minister's Office's order issued yesterday.

Earlier yesterday, the PM's Office announced in the Royal Gazette that a 15-day mourning period would be observed from yesterday until November 8. The period was later extended until November 23.

The government yesterday asked all groups of people to observe mourning during that period, according to the announcement.

His Majesty the King yesterday instructed royal family members and palace officials to observe 30-day mourning from yesterday to November 23, according to the Royal Household Bureau.

The head of the Kingdom's Buddhist monastic order passed away at 7.30pm on Thursday due to a blood infection following recent surgery for an intestinal infection. His body yesterday was moved from Chulalongkorn Hospital, where he had been receiving treatment, to Wat Bowonnives Vihara, where he had served as an abbot.

An estimated 3,000 people gathered solemnly along the roads as the Supreme Patriarch's body was moved from the hospital to the temple shortly after noon. Several hundreds of mourners lined the busy road outside the hospital, from where the body of the Kingdom's top Buddhist leader was due to be shifted to the temple for religious ceremonies. People of all ages - from school students to frail old women - crouched respectfully next to the heavy traffic. Most were dressed in the mourning colours of black or white.

The Supreme Patriarch's body was transported in a motorcade from the hospital via Ratchadamri Road, Rama IV Road, the expressway, the Urupong intersection, Phetchaburi Road, Lan Luang Road, the Phan Fah intersection, and the Wan Chat intersection before arriving at the temple.

Lines of military and police cadets, in white suits, lined up on both sides along the road from the Wan Chat intersection to the temple. Behind the lines of cadets were large groups of mourners.

White and black cloth covered the perimeter walls of Wat Bowonnives. Houses and buildings around the temple displayed photos of the Supreme Patriarch. Local residents wore black in mourning. Many shops in the area agreed not to sell alcoholic drinks.

The Supreme Patriarch was a friend of His Holiness Dalai Lama of Tibet, who called him "my elder brother".

In a related development, different political groups yesterday decided to suspend their activities out of reverence for the Supreme Patriarch.

The Students and People's Network Reforming Thailand, in a comment posted on the group's Facebook page, said they would not hold any entertainment activities at their rally site out of reverence for the Supreme Patriarch.

The V for Thailand group also posted on Facebook that it would put its activities on hold.

The Democrat Party has also cancelled its "Reveal the Truth" rally scheduled for today in mourning and will meet again next Saturday at Wat Chan Pradittharam in Bangkok's Phasi Charoen district.

Meanwhile, the red-shirt faction Red Sunday plans to go ahead with its rally at the Ratchaprasong intersection tomorrow as scheduled to voice its opposition to the revised amnesty bill, the group's leader Sombat Boonngam-anong said yesterday.

Sombat said that though the rally was going ahead, he would also rely on social media to launch a "virtual rally" as well as talk to supporters via Facebook and Twitter.

He added that he would be wearing a red shirt, but he was not bothered what colours the other protesters wore.

Suriyasai Katasila, a key member of People's Assembly Reforming Thailand said the group would meet on Sunday as scheduled but before it starts it would do a mourning ceremony for the Supreme Patriarch first.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-26

Sad to hear. Please could some kind soul detail any practices or observations that we should politely adhere to during this time.

Many thanks.

Your question is very relevant and I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

As far as observence of the request not to serve alcohol goes this can be very flexible depending on where you are and local attitudes.

I have seen this in action personally and have been told by resturant / bar owners, both foreigners and Thai, that it ranges from a total ban, through permissable upon a ' donation ' to a police officer or officials retirement fund to it being ok if there's no music or racuous behaviour although tolerance doesn't usually extend to girlie bars.

Sad to hear. Please could some kind soul detail any practices or observations that we should politely adhere to during this time.

Many thanks.

As far as observence of the request not to serve alcohol goes this can be very flexible depending on where you are and local attitudes.

I have seen this in action personally and have been told by resturant / bar owners, both foreigners and Thai, that it ranges from a total ban, through permissable upon a ' donation ' to a police officer or officials retirement fund to it being ok if there's no music or racuous behaviour although tolerance doesn't usually extend to girlie bars.

Or serve the beer in tee/coffee mugs....

• Like 2

I am sure the supreme patriarch was loved by many of the people & deserves a respectful mourning period. However, the cynic in me suggests that by extending it 30 days from the first listed 15 days could be a ploy by the government to halt the anti government protests as the leaders have already said they will halt their activities during the mourning period. After 30 days it will be close to the king's birthday & so enters another period of respect. Just a thought.

If the Royal Household were instructed first then PM would be following the Palace. However I like your thought it sounds good

Thailand mourns top Buddhist leader

BANGKOK, October 26, 2013 (AFP) - Flags flew at half-mast and crowds of mourners turned out to pay their respects Friday after Thailand's top Buddhist leader died aged 100.

Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara died on Thursday due to a blood infection following recent surgery for an intestinal infection, according to Chulalongkorn hospital where he had been receiving treatment.

Police said thousands of mourners, some weeping and clutching pictures of the revered monk, lined the streets as his body was transported from the hospital to a temple in the capital for religious ceremonies.

People of all ages, from school boys to frail old women, crouched respectfully next to the heavy traffic. Most dressed in the mourning colours of black or white.

"I wanted to cry. I came early morning to pay my respects to his body and I cried," said Panya Thammachat, 59.

Thailand's most senior monk had been hospitalised for more than a decade.

The respected cleric -- a friend of the Dalai Lama -- was born Charoen Gajavatra on October 3, 1913 in the western Thai province of Kanchanaburi and ordained as a novice when he was 14 years old.

He was appointed Supreme Patriarch in 1989 by King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was "very sad" to hear of his passing, according to the royal household bureau, which was instructed by the monarch to mourn for 30 days.

Police asked entertainment venues across the country not to stage live music shows or allow dancing until November 8 as a sign of respect.

Tourists wishing to visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok were requested not to wear brightly coloured clothing during the mourning period.

Government offices and places of education were asked to fly flags at half mast for three days and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra urged civil servants and the general public to observe 30 days of mourning.

Her office said the government had learned of the Supreme Patriarch's death "with sadness", praising his contribution to Buddhism.

Last year the World Fellowship of Buddhists bestowed the title of "Sangha Leader of the Buddhist World" on the Supreme Patriarch at a meeting in Japan.

Buddhism is Thailand's state religion and around 95 percent of the population is believed to follow it -- the highest percentage in the world.

Figures released last year by the National Office of Buddhism showed Thailand had more than 61,000 monks.

Their behaviour frequently falls under the spotlight with media reports uncovering cases of clergy taking drugs, drinking, gambling and visiting prostitutes.

Earlier this year a videotape showing three monks travelling in a private jet, wearing sunglasses and carrying a Louis Vuitton luxury bag triggered fierce debate about the lavish lifestyles of some clerics.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-10-26

Thailand mourns top Buddhist leader

Police asked entertainment venues across the country not to stage live music shows or allow dancing until November 8 as a sign of respect.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-10-26

Obviously nobody informed the locals a few km across the rice fields from where I live. Full on concert / party going on right now. And from the other direction I've got chanting monks, amplified of course. Sat here at my pc with the headphones on......

• Like 1

Many thanks.

Where does it mention alcohol? Lights, music, entertainment are referred to, but not alcohol.

I am sure the supreme patriarch was loved by many of the people & deserves a respectful mourning period. However, the cynic in me suggests that by extending it 30 days from the first listed 15 days could be a ploy by the government to halt the anti government protests as the leaders have already said they will halt their activities during the mourning period. After 30 days it will be close to the king's birthday & so enters another period of respect. Just a thought.

they found out already...Tomorrow they will resume the protests.

Many thanks.

Where does it mention alcohol? Lights, music, entertainment are referred to, but not alcohol.

It was mentioned in other news. There are some (or one??) Buddhist holidays in Thailand on which the sale of alcohol is banned.

Honour and respect ot the memoty of this holy man..

Then regarding the observance (lack of it) of the imposed mouring, that is another subject. It did not lasted one day where I'm.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I have to be honest and say that I didn't know anything about the Supreme Patriarch until his birthday recently. I still know very little but he was certainly an amazing person to have live to such an age considering that I believe he suffered poor health in his early years.

As a mark of respect maybe Thailand's Buddhists could spend the time of mourning trying a bit harder to behave like Buddhists. Unfortunately whereas the Supreme Patriarch must have spent much of his life abiding by Buddhist values I have a feeling the period of mourning will for many just be an easy option for a few days instead making an effort all the time.

RIP

Many thanks.

Try the earlier thread " Political Rallies to be suspended..."

Many thanks.

Try the earlier thread " Political Rallies to be suspended..."

That thread refers to a request to places where alcohol is served but doesn't mention the type of ban that happend on Buddhist holidays.

Anyway, it seems now that in the main nightlife areas (for foreigners anyway) the bars can carry on as normal but must close at 2am which, as someone else has pointed out, is the law anyway.

Not directly a spoiler, but, there are certain monks who couldn't care less, like the ones who fled Thailand with a bunch of privately bought property and cars and other luxuries... as if they feel any shame in what they did.... <- those types of insolent imposters brought shame to the natural monkhood of Thailand, but are rewarded by the corrupt agencies that stick money into their behinds...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Sorry to say it under these circumstances, but...it is that time again, when Thais tell other people how to respect their great traditions..and themselves will be seen, given not a single hoot about them.

RIP

• Like 1