Out Of Bangkok for New Year

Drew345

I'll be able to take about a 10 day trip out of Bangkok over the New Year's period. Problem is, everywhere I think of, I go "Oh no, it will be crowded". My first thoughts were Pai or Koh Chang. I now Pai will be packed because it is now even more popular with Thais than farang. Still thinking about Koh Chang. I am not really looking for a "hidden gem" or "secret paradise", just someplace out of Bangkok (but still in Thailand). Honestly, I will be taking my laptop and still working on some stuff while I am out, so really just want like an "office" out of Bangkok for 10 days. Would be great to be able to rent a motorbike there and get around.

Any idea for a place not packed on New Year (thus not what Thais think of for New Year), with motorbike rental (thus not too remote)? Hey, I love Pattaya too, but thinking of something a little farther for a 10 day trip.

Thanks,

Drew

I'm afraid almost anywhere you go will be crowded. Some more than others, but still crowded. Some quick thoughts are Mae Phim in Chantaburi (actually, quite a few nice beaches there). South of Hua Hin there are a few options like Ban Kruit and the places around Bang Saphan. I've always wanted to visit this place:

Good discussion here:

Khanom is pretty relaxed:

http://pleasenotanothertravelblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/khanom-beaches-and-sichon-beaches/

This area seems to be getting really popular, but being so close to BKK, might be really crowded:

http://www.agoda.com/suan-phung/maps/ratchaburi-th.html?asq=lwvTeboZvE%2fluIyyfqp88g%3d%3d

You could try some really off the beaten track areas like Trat, Mukdahan (we found a really cool place right on the river there), Khong Chiam (lots of neat resorts in this area). Just throwing out ideas!

Consider renting a larger bike in Chiang Mai and spend 10 days doing the loop. Roads are usually pretty good and there's plenty of wifi where ever you stop for the night.

If you have time, check out the "Big Cave" amazing!

rolleyes.gif Maybe not your choice .... but I will probably be in Vung Tau, Vietnam.

Intend to do the annual Christmas dinner at an Aussie/Kiwi place I know of there with good food and a lot of beer.

Aussie roast lamb on the menu.

Will be staying at a small hotel with good wifi (at least there was the last time I stayed there) that has a view of the sun setting over the South China Sea from the verandah bar.

Cold beer on the South China Sea at sunset. Good seafood.

Not luxury, but quiet and a nice place to stay. Not expensive either.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

From down south here, I'd second Krabi and offer Georgetown Penang, but... yah, the last poster hit the jackpot with his inviting description of yuletide Vietnam. In that direction, I'd offer Mukdahan and Laos where BeerLao is arguably the best in Asia. Good luck and Enjoy! whatever you choose. ... Oh, yah, I hear Sihanoukville is nice with few complaints.