Police ex-chief Chalor freed after 19 years jail

Lite Beer

BLUE DIAMOND
Police ex-chief Chalor freed after 19 years jail
PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI
THE SUNDAY NATION

30218047-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- DISGRACED FORMER police commissioner Chalor Kerdthes, who was at the centre of the infamous Saudi Blue Diamond case, was freed yesterday after serving 19 years in Bang Kwang Prison for his involvement in abduction and double murders in 1994, a senior Corrections Department official said.

Chalor, 72, would have to report himself to a probation official at the Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court every month.

Bang Kwang central prison commander Wasant Singkhaselit said yesterday that he had approved the suspension of punishment for Chalor. The former police commissioner was released at 2pm on Friday on the grounds that he had served a jail term of more than 19 years - more than two-thirds of his sentencing - and he was over 70 years old with chronic illness.

Wasant said the prison had arranged for him to undergo surgery for slipped disk but he still suffered from paralysis of the left hand hence he was unable to take care of himself and required assistance from other inmates.

Chalor headed the investigation to find the jewellery that a Thai worker stole from the palace of a Saudi Arabian prince in 1989. He was sentenced to death for his role in the 1994 abduction and murder of Darawadee Srithanakhan and her son to force her jeweller husband Santi Srithanakhan to give information about the stolen jewellery.

Chalor was also given a jail term for tampering with evidence and a jail term for Santi's abduction. He was stripped of his rank of Pol Lt-General and was ordered to return his royal decoration in 2010, after which he changed his name to Thachapol.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-27

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Bang Kwang central prison commander Wasant Singkhaselit said yesterday that he had approved the suspension of punishment for Chalor. "

The prison commander decided to release him? Am I reading that wrong? Is that who decides these things?

<snipped>

The prison commander decided to release him? Am I reading that wrong? Is that who decides these things?

I was wondering the same thing. It's a little similar to the Godfather of Chonburi, Khamnan Poh (spelling?). He was sent to prison there and then promptly sent to the hospital.

He must have been the fall guy! Unheard of police being in jail for that length of time. And where is the blue diamond? Would make a great film,

His health will probably improve greatly once he is out of prison and removes from that big blue diamond from one of his orifice. It probably gets crowded with a big diamond and a mobile phone in there.

I wonder if he has actually been in a jail cell for all those years or whether he was replaced by someone else.

He must have been the fall guy! Unheard of police being in jail for that length of time. And where is the blue diamond? Would make a great film,

Assumption Assumptions Assumptions........you been reading too many posts from Thaivisa negheads

Try letting Somchai Visetsing e.g. know thatrolleyes.gif and many other ex cops who will never see the light of day.

The biggest crock ever is you can buy yourself out of anything in Thailand.....as our dear friend Chalor found out to his cost

looks like a nice guy idol thai citizen

Seems to me he is a fall guy and was told by his superiors to find that diamond using any method he deemed necessary.. but got dropped like a hot potatoe when it turned sour.. TiT.... whistling.gif Fool..

• Like 1

I wonder what ever happened to his farang wife, as the article didn't mentioned

her as being present on his release? could it be she got tired of waiting???

I didn't know he had a farang wife, but if he did, I think it would be rather hard for him to apply for a visa on her behalf from prison.

What's wrong with this place?

He shouldn't have seen the light of day again..... in any CIVILIZED country!

Any civilized country? you having a laugh ,its just been in the British papers a double killer was released and killed again almost straight away ,in Britain he would have done about 15 years in a cushy prison watching sky tv and eating 3 meals a day ,and the last few years would have been in open prison ,or Butlins as its known. at least here he spent his 19 years in shit conditions.

• Like 1