Well-known Phuket expat Richard Cracknell dies

Lite Beer

Well-known Phuket expat Richard Cracknell dies
Claire Connell

1382858549_1.jpg

Richard Cracknell at the Living Food Cafe.

PHUKET: Well-known Phuket man Dr Richard Cracknell, a chiropractor, acupuncturist, athlete and owner of the Wellness House and the Living Food raw cafe on the island, died in America this week.

Dr Cracknell's daughter Cynthia posted on Facebook that her father died in Miami, in the United States, on October 24.

He is believed to have died from an illness. He is understood to have returned to America earlier this year after becoming ill.

The American was a well-known personality on the island.

A doctor of acupuncture and naturopathic medicine, with a PHD in complimentary alternative medicine, Dr Cracknell ran the Wellness House detox and naturopathic health centre alongside the Living Food Cafe in Naiharn. He moved to Phuket in 1994 after two years living in northern Thailand teaching English.

Working for many years on the island as a chiropractor, acupuncturist and general health healer, he established the Wellness House around four years ago. The Living Food Café came about from him wanting to make good food for himself and his guests, and teach others how to do the same, he told The Phuket News in an earlier interview.

Dr Cracknell also was a top regional marathon runner, regularly winning in his age group in marathons held around Southeast Asia.

Martin Smetsers told The Phuket News he met Dr Cracknell around three years ago.

"He was a dedicated health professional who knew what he was doing; a true sportsman who's vegetarian regime helped him to recover so much more quickly from big athletic events, he told me. He was devoted to the health cause; an ambassador for his beliefs and a true athlete.

"I was very sorry to hear that he got ill and was saddened by today's news. Condolences to his family; a good man has left us."

Dr Cracknell has adult children in America and one young daughter living in Phuket.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/well-known-phuket-expat-richard-cracknell-dies-42560.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-27

On-On Mrs. Palmer.........

What about showing some respect. Australian slang/phrases don't belong here.

You obviously don't know about the Phuket Hash House Harriers.

We both used to go in the late eighties, early nineties. On-On is the Hash call when on paper and Mrs. Palmer was Richard's Hash name.

No disrespect intended. You shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Apology accepted.

Some are just quick to jump for the bash.

• Like 1

On-On Mrs. Palmer.........

What about showing some respect. Australian slang/phrases don't belong here.

You obviously don't know about the Phuket Hash House Harriers.

We both used to go in the late eighties, early nineties. On-On is the Hash call when on paper and Mrs. Palmer was Richard's Hash name.

No disrespect intended. You shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Apology accepted.

I stand corrected. I Know the the Phuket Hashers but never hear Richard mention that he had regularly joined their runs. Probably because I come here first mid nineties.

I stand corrected. I Know the the Phuket Hashers but never hear Richard mention that he had regularly joined their runs. Probably because I come here first mid nineties.

You kinda spoiled my briefly worded farewell, which I know Richard would have understood and approved of, and turned it into ugliness.

Next time in a memorial thread, better say nothing and give the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

RIP Richard

I also think it would be appropriate if we knew what made him ill enough to go home, presuming he got ill in Phuket that is.

It just might be something that we can prevent anyone else from sadly losing their life from.

He was clearly very healthy, very sad.

I respect people like this, wish I had the same discipline.

I first met Richard at The Soundgarten pub in Kata in the early 90's where he and his son (the son plays drums) had a band.

Jump forward 20 years I had some real problems with my lower back and although his chiropractic techniques didn't help, he did build me an "upside-down" machine, where I can hang and my spine pops and gets back into alignment. Still use it regularly, nice piece of equipment.

I think Richard would agree we were not friends so to speak but aquaintances, we'd say hi in passing etc.

I really would like to send condolences to the wife and young daughter, I hope they will be O.K.

R.I.P. Richard, you definitely were a Phuket persona.

• Like 1

I heard that he came down with some rare genetic degenerative disease of some sort, so my guess is that there is nothing you can to do prevent something similar. Of course I heard this through the grapevine in Phuket (admittedly not so reliable) so if my source is in error feel free to correct me. I think this demonstrates that while we may not be able to prevent the inevitable, we can stay healthy and fit enough to enjoy our lives until fairly close to the end. I only spoke briefly with Richard when I would be in his shop buying raw power bars or be standing next to him on the wall at naiharn checking the waves, but he was always friendly and seemed to be living what he preached. RIP Dr. Cracknell.

• Like 1

I heard that he came down with some rare genetic degenerative disease of some sort, so my guess is that there is nothing you can to do prevent something similar. Of course I heard this through the grapevine in Phuket (admittedly not so reliable) so if my source is in error feel free to correct me. I think this demonstrates that while we may not be able to prevent the inevitable, we can stay healthy and fit enough to enjoy our lives until fairly close to the end. I only spoke briefly with Richard when I would be in his shop buying raw power bars or be standing next to him on the wall at naiharn checking the waves, but he was always friendly and seemed to be living what he preached. RIP Dr. Cracknell.

...being a vegetarian myself....I wonder if he used soya products.....apparently, they are no longer good for you...or safe for you...

...even ' texturized soya protein' is laden with M.S.G......

...being a vegetarian myself....I wonder if he used soya products.....apparently, they are no longer good for you...or safe for you...

...even ' texturized soya protein' is laden with M.S.G......

Soya has always been bad for you as it is processed gunk that the body can't handle!!! Of course, the food companies don't want you to know this.

When I say soya is bad for you this does not include fermented soya which is extremely healthful!!

I met Richard during my Rock Hard days ,everyone always wanted me to go to him for my leg and back pain.

I just never got around to it , I've made it to Route 66 years of age this year after a steady diet of everything that should have killed me by 50, hadn't!

He was always well spoken of by everyone who knew him and attempted to get me to go to him for help!

It was just after the famous runner Jim Kick died at 40 , and he was an advocate of clean living ,plus a few other people who were believers in taking good care of their bodies ,by healthy diets and ways of life. Yet ,here I am at 66 still ,wondering how I ever managed to live this long.

So ,long ago I came up with the 'When its your time to go theory of living !''

RiP Richard , you were a good human being and will be missed !

For those that didn't know what a hash run is ,don't feel bad ,when I found out you didn't get loaded on some hash during the run ,but inhaled large quantities of Beer after , I decided in '88 not to join. Well , for that reason and on the first time I attended a run a guy who became known as BuFFalo Bob was chased and almost killed by a buffalo on the trail of the run.

( Never wear a red shirt on a run thru Buffalo areas was the lesson learned ,although most of the buffalo on Phuket are gone too,these days! )

what is a hasher?

RIP

More importantly, what's a curtain twitcher?

RIP.

British phrase (maybe used more widely in US, Aus etc). Refers to the habit of 'nosey parkers' - people with an overdeveloped desire to enquire into the affairs of those around them in a way that is unwelcome - who hide behind their curtains and watch in an obsessive way what their neighbours are doing, moving the curtains slightly (causing them to apparently 'twitch') to peer out at what's happening.

Thus a curtain twitcher is someone who takes an obsessive and unwelcome furtive interest in the affairs of others. Another similar phrase - "interfering busybody"