Legal age for kids to drive a bike?

moonseeker

I was on the coach to Bangkok from Pattaya some time back and I saw this child driving a moped. He could not of been more than eight. To get on or of he must have started/stopped by a lamp post or a tree for balance. If he survives I am sure he will be an ace rider when older.

That list is not complete as a 16 year old can obtain a licence for a motorcycle of less than 110 cc.

Actually, if less that 18 y/o and at least 15 y/o he can only legally be licensed for a bike no larger than a 90cc.

Though enacted in 1979, the Act is still valid and applies today

Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 43

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle must apply for a driver's license according to following categories:

...<snipped>...

6. License for a motorcycle

Section 44

A driver's license under the category #1 - #6 or #9 is valid for one year.

Section 46

Requirements for application of license

1. He (applicant) is at least 18 years old. In case for a motorcycle under 90cc, he is at least 15 years old.

2. He has sufficient knowledge and skills for driving the vehicle.

3. He understands traffic rules set by the Land Traffic Act.

4. He doesn't have disabilities which affects him in driving the vehicle.

5. He is certified by a medical doctor that he's not suffering from illnesses which endanger him in driving the vehicle.

6. He is not suffering from mental illnesses.

7. He doesn't have a driver's license which he wants to apply.

8. His driver's license is not under suspension. In case his driver's license has been revoked, sufficient time has passed since the revocation.

Edited by LukDod
  • Like 2

I was on the coach to Bangkok from Pattaya some time back and I saw this child driving a moped. He could not of been more than eight. To get on or of he must have started/stopped by a lamp post or a tree for balance. If he survives I am sure he will be an ace rider when older.

Now lets be sensible about this. In the country ALL the young kids ride scooters, that's how they get to school. The older ones

10 year old + usually take their younger siblings on the back.

• Like 1

1. He (applicant) is at least 18 years old. In case for a motorcycle under 90cc, he is at least 15 years old. Or younger. Or both.
2. He has sufficient knowledge and skills for driving the vehicle. He knows how to put on bicycle rims.
3. He understands traffic rules set by the Land Traffic Act. He knows that he must drive on the wrong side of the road.
4. He doesn't have disabilities which affects him in driving the vehicle. It's okay if he's got one arm and one leg.
5. He is certified by a medical doctor that he's not suffering from illnesses which endanger him in driving the vehicle. 40 baht makes people to Superman.
6. He is not suffering from mental illnesses.People just got out of a high security mental hospital.Nobody knows it.
7. He doesn't have a driver's license which he wants to apply. Sorry, too complicated for LOS.
8. His driver's license is not under suspension. In case his driver's license has been revoked, sufficient time has passed since the revocation.

Usually three days, or less.-w00t.gif .

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

That list is not complete as a 16 year old can obtain a licence for a motorcycle of less than 110 cc.

Actually, if less that 18 y/o and at least 15 y/o he can only legally be licensed for a bike no larger than a 90cc.

Section 43

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle must apply for a driver's license according to following categories:

...<snipped>...

Section 44

Section 46

1. He (applicant) is at least 18 years old. In case for a motorcycle under 90cc, he is at least 15 years old.

5. He is certified by a medical doctor that he's not suffering from illnesses which endanger him in driving the vehicle.

Under 90 c.c. jing na...

If there was one specimen of a bike less than 90 c.c., following the law would mean some 5 million kids would be fighting to acquire that motorbike

Section 43

...<snipped>...

Section 44

Section 46

Under 90 c.c. jing na...

If there was one specimen of a bike less than 90 c.c., following the law would mean some 5 million kids would be fighting to acquire that motorbike

I think you will find that has been updated to 110cc or possibly 115.

This translation may not have all the amendments.

Now lets be sensible about this. In the country ALL the young kids ride scooters, that's how they get to school. The older ones

10 year old + usually take their younger siblings on the back.

Older than the legal age to have sex with an old man but younger than the age to drink a can of beer... somewhere in between.

I don't know the legal age to have sex with a drunk old man on a motorcycle though.

May I sincerely suggest to change your medication as soon as possible?-wai2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif MS>

• Like 1

To put it into perspective, the country parts of Thailand (and certainly the further from BKK) the more it is like the UK in the 50's and early 60's. Country boys rode bikes, drove tractors, and had air rifles (legal age for a shotgun licence 10/6d was 14) crash helmets ???!!! - the early space helmets killed more than they saved - broken necks, hence the cutaway. UK police were a lot more amenable - like Thai country police, they tended to let the villages run themselves - if they where needed they would be told.

Just hope they don't make the same cock ups the UK has in trying to control everything.

It's one thing to have kids who are too young, driving these mopeds in a country-side setting (for practical reasons), but that is NOT the same as driving in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok or Chianmai, where the down-town traffic is simply bloody murder waiting to happen.

coffee1.gif

I had a kid run into my pick up many years ago and his school teacher told me I should feel sorry for the child as he was poor. I asked that teacher if the kid was poor where did the money for the bike and gas come from? There was no reply at that point.

• Like 1

> "He doesn't have a driver's license which he wants to apply" <

Considering how many people I know driving without any licence of any type,
how high are the chances of someone applying and paying for several licences
of the same category? For what? facepalm.gif

Edited by JoeLing