American campaigns to convince Thai people to wear helmets

webfact

No disrespect to this very well intentioned man but there's no way he will get Thais to change the habits of a motor bike riding lifetime. Nice to see him being welcomed by the BIB who are amongst the worst offenders.

Helemets are only for use on a police ' helemet day ' just as mirrors are for checking pimples and making sure hair is in place.

Certainly not Pfff! whistling.gif

My wife wears it... when sun too muchtongue.png

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to this very well intentioned man but there's no way he will get Thais to change the habits of a motor bike riding lifetime. Nice to see him being welcomed by the BIB who are amongst the worst offenders.

Helemets are only for use on a police ' helemet day ' just as mirrors are for checking pimples and making sure hair is in place.

He's having a laugh isn't he?

Stupid students pay regularly, tea money to the BIB (200/400 baht) and they haven't even got the sense to buy a cheap s**te helmet for 150 baht to avoid continual payments.

Don't try and educate them - they don't want to know.

• Like 1

Lets face it they could stop everything in Thailand quickly if they really wanted too, 1000 baht fine seizure of bike etc.............100 baht to mr plod is way better for them, Police and victim.

• Like 1

is the welcomed American man, Mr. Klerk Gillot, an American, who is the American President of an Independent Charity Foundation from America?

and he drives a pickup. Do you think it is a Toyota? Is he throwing free helmets at passing motorcyclists? Could be dangerous. Why is it important for him to be driving a pickup?

Edited by bangon04

Why not combine advertising on helmet wearing with seat belt wearing in cars trucks and buses.And then how dare you take away the bread and butter for BiB to make some extra cash.

Edited by endi11

The bigger issue is the quality of the actual helmet and how it is worn. They are crap and most offer little to no protection. Then of course they are worn (if worn) with the strap undone or so loose that it will fall off the head at the first bump. Actually it would probably act as a torpedo and kill the other driver.

I think it is great to see the Thais driving around with Dad in his helmet and the wife on the back with bare head. It is a cheap and easy method for divorce here in the country and there will be no talk of allamony. hihihih

When was there ever any talk of alimony anyway? The legal concept does not exist here.

Does anyone else find this a bit condescending? The wise man from the West comes in to share his knowledge that helmets protect your head from being split open on the pavement. "Why thank you oh wise one!!"

The government has had a campaign on this subject for nearly 20 years, making it compulsory to wear a helmet back in 1993. Does the guy realise this? The Thais don't really need a white man to steam in and tell them how it's done. It strikes me as evangelical...

Yes, the law is pretty pointless when you can wear a half coconut on your noggin with a bit of string and be considered in compliance, (I'd like to see what model of helmet the white fella is giving away), but the authorities are aware that helmets are a good thing and have attempted to convey this to the populace.

A good try Klerk. But you are p*****g in the wind. If you succeed in getting the rider to wear a helmet, get him or her to persuade his or her three passengers to do likewise. Here in Sattahip the Navy enforce the use of helmets. You see riders approaching the Navy checkpoint putting there helmets on and when leaving taking them off.

Correct me if i'm wrong,BUT i think i saw in the Thai Lawbook that Police are excluded wearing helmets.When i saw that i understood that why they don't have to be a good rawmodell for ordinary people.Everyone just think about them self´,TiT..

Helmets are to protect your brain.

If you have no brain you don't need a helmet.

Its so easy to spot these people.

That's where NO BRAINER is a perfect statement.

Like 'they' say...if you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet!

The only day thai war helmets is on Thursday in sattahip because this is the day that thai police have road stops to collect weekend beer money from people that do not wear helmets. Check stop is usually under a big shade tree or under a bridge ( I wonder If maybe we should start calling them trolls ? )

Edited by yooper2001

About as pointless as Thais trying to get the Americans to sort out their debt mountain

or trying to get the Brits to stop overseas aid.

Gentlemen...to your cornors

To our what?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....what can I tall yoo. I'z Ameracan....cain't spel

Did you think I meant O'Connor, my Irish brother?

Edited by mamypoko
  • Like 1

The Merkin needs to put the helmet on and hit his against the wall.

Maybe it would give his project more ' impact ' if he were to hit his head against a wall without wearing a crash helmet so he could compare the effect with crashing a motorcycle.......and no doubt his work visa was inspected ?

compulsory baldness is the only answer. shave everybody that rides a motorcycle and trust me, they will be wearing that helmet when the suns frying their brain, or the rain is jet washing the skin off. but then i suppose pots, pans and cardboard boxes will also get used. i used a carved melon skin 1 day to ride around pattaya and no one took any notice......

• Like 1

When I was a teenager in Wales in the late 1960's early 1970's running around on our scooters and motorbikes. There was no helmet law and the only time we had our helmets was when it was cold or raining. It was consider "not cool" to wear a helmet. As a teenager I couldn't give a shit about the chance of dying if I came off my bike which I did a few times.

Even during my time in college I didn't wear a helmet.

I now have two son's hear in Thailand one 18 year old and one 22 year old. The 18 year old has always had a good helmet when he is on his bike and will not go on a bike without one. My 22 year old would need wear a helmet. I even took his bike off him for a while, made no difference. As far as he was concerned it was not cool...So things haven't changed from when I was riding a bike thoses many years ago.

If Thailand want's it's people to wear helmets the only way is by law. No helmet no riding, at the end of the day it is up to the BIB and I guess the Thai government as the BIB seem to have to be told to do there job.

While I agree he'll probably not have that great an impact, it still has to be more likely to do some good than all the moaning and whining that takes place on Thai Visa concerning this safety issue or all the negative comments that will undoubtedly be made about the person trying to make a practical contribution.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

is the welcomed American man, Mr. Klerk Gillot, an American, who is the American President of an Independent Charity Foundation from America?

Nah, he looks American to me.

Yes, he must be American, who else would go on such a hairbrained venture & believe anyone would take any notice?

Have more success going to Washington & throw a love in for the pollies.

What a good project, but he should point out and also make people aware that it is not only the driver who should wear a helmet, also the passengers. I see too often that the drivers are wearing the helmet on their arm, basket in front or at the footrest while the passengers , often little children, are wearing no helmets.

The Thais are keeping the helmet closely just to avoid a ticket, not because they are convinced it protects them.

I may have misinterpreted. But it seems you did. This is for bikes as in bicycles. Not Motorcycles. This unnamed independent charity is strange. Especially to promote and possibly try to make law what I feel should be a choice safety/ fashion product as it is in America.

Many states have reprealed motorcycle helmet laws once the insurance companies determined they cause more accidents due to hearing and visual impairment as well as the rider to be more likely to ride at higher speeds then the few head injuries from wrecks could justify. as well a many broken necks from the helmet catching on some resistence in a minor incident. These are the same insurance companies that initiated the helmet laws to begin with.

I personally chse to wear a helmet most of the time. I do respect it to be a choice though and not a law plugging for helmut maufacturers

What a good project, but he should point out and also make people aware that it is not only the driver who should wear a helmet, also the passengers. I see too often that the drivers are wearing the helmet on their arm, basket in front or at the footrest while the passengers , often little children, are wearing no helmets.

The Thais are keeping the helmet closely just to avoid a ticket, not because they are convinced it protects them.

I may have misinterpreted. But it seems you did. This is for bikes as in bicycles. Not Motorcycles. This unnamed independent charity is strange. Especially to promote and possibly try to make law what I feel should be a choice safety/ fashion product as it is in America.

Many states have reprealed motorcycle helmet laws once the insurance companies determined they cause more accidents due to hearing and visual impairment as well as the rider to be more likely to ride at higher speeds then the few head injuries from wrecks could justify. as well a many broken necks from the helmet catching on some resistence in a minor incident. These are the same insurance companies that initiated the helmet laws to begin with.

I personally chse to wear a helmet most of the time. I do respect it to be a choice though and not a law plugging for helmut maufacturers

next "a good project" will be to wrap everyone in bubblewrap. thi message approved by ACME, Bubble Wrap div.