No Alcohol on Election Day - Sellers WILL be Prosecuted

khwaibah

No Alcohol on Election Day - Sellers WILL be Prosecuted. Oct 22, 2013.

Lifestyle.

flag_th.jpg

CityNews - On October 18th Suamchai Meesomsak, vice Chiang Mai Mayor, announced that According to Thai Law Will there be no alcohol on Election Day SOLD 3. Rd. November the 2013th for Chiang Mai Mayor.

1382437445.jpg

He said that to Ensure that the Election Will be done properly and honestly, a Ban on alcohol Will be enforced between 6 PM 2. nd. November 3 until Midnight. Rd. November.

Anybody, or any shop that sells or serves alcohol in the Chiang Mai Municipality area between these times will be fined up to 10,000 baht or be sentenced to six months in prison.

Issued a ban on the sale. Distribute Or alcohol on Election Day, Mayor's banquet.

Mr. Chai has included Somsak Deputy Municipal Clerk. Acting. Permanent Chiang Mai. As Director of the Election Chiang Mai. Was announced. Missive At 18. Oct. 56 to announce that the AF has the mayor of Chiang Mai. On Sunday at 3. November 56. then. To provide for the election. Is completely pure with fair and accurate regulation laws. The Election Commission has set. Election Commission of Chiang Mai. Hereby entrepreneurs.Store, or distribute or sell any omission of any kind in the borough catering liquor Chiang Mai. During the time18:00. ago The day before the election. Or 2. November 56. till the day of the election. Or 24.00. hrs of the day. 3. November 56.

<snip for fair use>

CityNews

More here Source link - City News

Edited by Tywais
Please leave a link to the source when quoting

I'm still trying to understand the reason why it is banned from 2 pm till 5 pm each day. crazy.gif

Well in 7/11 anyway, still available at the little shop further down the soi.giggle.gif

Its designed to prevent us buying a can of beer or a bottle of wine and committing total mayhem,its all in our interests.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to understand the reason why it is banned from 2 pm till 5 pm each day. crazy.gif

Well in 7/11 anyway, still available at the little shop further down the soi.giggle.gif

It's to stop kids buying alcohol, because they're obviously too dumb to buy it another time or get someone to buy it for them.

Ironically you can still buy it between 2-5 if you buy enough!

When I was a kid in the UK, we had similar hours for selling booze. Usually bought from an ''off license'' attached to the side of a pub. Now every one seems to be selling it, even sweet shops. Times change. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

what's the actual practical implication of the election booze ban? bars not serving from 6pm saturday until midnight sunday?

What used to happen is candidates would invite the voters to a free piss up then march them down to vote.

Now they just slip them a few quid or a frying pan, mop or something.

What I enjoyed while staying in Chiang Mai...was reading the signs posted all around the city...

"TAKE CHIANG MAI BACK FROM THE FOREIGHNER AND BEER BARS"

Welcome to Chiang Mai...

Inciting racial hatred against foreigners by writing in a language 95% of Thais don't understand!

what's the actual practical implication of the election booze ban? bars not serving from 6pm saturday until midnight sunday?

What used to happen is candidates would invite the voters to a free piss up then march them down to vote.

Few informal mom&pop shops will take any notice of this, they never have in the past. if you want a drink, you'll be able to get one.

oh aye, i'll have beer in the house like. was just hoping that one or two bars might have persuaded the po-po to let them remain open for the football on saturday night/sunday morning at the unsociable time of 12.30am. am sure there will be one or two like.

Seems like they adapted the old British laws that were introduced in WWI and not changed until the 1980's!

"After the outbreak of World War I the Defence of the Realm Act was passed by Parliament in 1914. One section of the Act concerned the hours pubs could sell alcohol, as it was believed that alcohol consumption would interfere with the war effort.[1] It restricted opening hours for licensed premises to luncheon (12:00 to 14:40) and supper (18:30 to 21:30). In the late 1980s the licensing laws became less restricted and allowed pubs to allow the consumption of alcohol on the premises from 11:00 until 23:00,[2] although nightclubs were allowed to stay open much later. Significantly revised rules were introduced in November 2005."

Just a little behind times, but isn't everything?

Few informal mom&pop shops will take any notice of this, they never have in the past. if you want a drink, you'll be able to get one.

oh aye, i'll have beer in the house like. was just hoping that one or two bars might have persuaded the po-po to let them remain open for the football on saturday night/sunday morning at the unsociable time of 12.30am. am sure there will be one or two like.

i think the ban ends at midnight so you should be able.

are you saying that it's only a 6 hour ban? from 6pm saturday? that doesn't sound right.

Then OP sure is hard to read and understand but from what I can make out it adds up to 30 hours. From 1800hr the night before until midnight the day of the election.

According to the Alcohol Beverage Control Act B.E.2551 (2008 A.D.), under section 28 it states that: “Sale of alcohol beverage is prohibited on the date or time announced by the Minister with consent of the Committee. In this regard, such announcement may indicate conditions and restrictions as deemed necessary.

The provision in Paragraph 1 above shall not apply to sale of alcohol beverage by manufacturer, importers or agents to the sellers authorized by the law governing liquor.

Such act were based on the Announcement Number 253 (dated November 16, B.E. 2515) (1973 A.D.) made by the Council for National Security.

The recent announcement identified eligible hours for retail sales of alcoholic beverages to be between 11.00a.m. to 02.00p.m. and between 05.00p.m. to 00.00a.m.

From this interpretation, only for Liquor Store Wholesalers would be eligible to sell (that is no less than 10 litres per transaction). If less than this, such shall be considered as retailing and a violation of the law. This includes sales of alcohol at a restaurant.

Exceptions were made for Hotel Businesses, airports, train stations, Terminal bus stations, piers (but they must obtain prior approval which can be made at the Local Police Station which is then to be forwarded to Commissioner of the National Police Office). There is no general exception for a restaurant just because they sell food with their alcoholic beverages as is often stated but not so under the actual law.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/595347-restricted-hours-for-liquor-sale/

are you saying that it's only a 6 hour ban? from 6pm saturday? that doesn't sound right.

Then OP sure is hard to read and understand but from what I can make out it adds up to 30 hours. From 1800hr the night before until midnight the day of the election.

that's how i read it. 6pm saturday until 11.59pm sunday. i think. so basically friday night bars free to open as usual, saturday and sunday not so much.

When I was managing a resort in the Philippines we had to stop selling alcohol in our district 2 days before any election. Their thinking was it takes some people 48 hours to recover.Ironically the amount of alcohol sold before the ban in the form of take away exceed the loss of sales during the ban. After the ban it was a free for all.