Tourist tax under attack

craigt3365

BANGKOK, 28 October 2013: World Tourism and Travel Council president and CEO, David Scowsill, waded into Thailand’s controversial proposal to levy a Bt500 tax on tourists vising the country.

Quoted by International Meetings Review, 25 October, the WTTC president called the idea “egregious,” and noted that it was partly created to supplement a shortfall in healthcare expenditure incurred from treating uninsured tourists.

Thailand’s Public Health Minister wants to use the tax to pay for Bt200 million in health care costs that are not picked up by tourists. Accidents represent the biggest slice of healthcare costs linked to tourists, with motor cycle accidents in Pattaya, Samui and Phuket heading the list.

Continued:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/10/tourist-tax-under-attack/

ttrweekly-logo.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was about health costs, which we know it's not, why not insist all visitors have travel insurance, which most have anyway? This charge has nothing to do with health costs, it's just extortion. If the UK had to charge visitors for unpaid health costs it would have to be about 500 quid a visitor!

As one local newspaper editorial article pointed out the other day: once the 500 baht is collected from

a tourist, will it allow him morally and legally to refuse to pay his medical bills should he find him

self in need of a medical assistant? after all, according to the government, the 500 baht should cover foreigner/tourist medical expenses right?

In California, we use to have special insurance for uninsured motorists. I think initially it was optional, then it was mandatory. This is many years ago.

Using my optimistic side, this money would be for those who don't have any insurance. Using my pessimistic side, this is another money grab attempt and a way to fund the huge debt they are running up due to the failed populist policies. Or should I say "successful" policies as it got PTP elected????

I also read in another article where some of this money was going to be used to upgrade hospitals countrywide. Hardly being earmarked 100% for tourists.

• Like 2

Its a smart idea on the Thai's side- raise a bunch of money and zero impact on tourism. The question is, who wouldn't do this?

Since when is making money dishonest?- it's good honest profit making capitalism.  

err honest folk?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thailand, being a major tourist destination with estimated 25 million tourist a year, should be able

to find enough resources to absorb the minuscule numbers or tourist who, unfortunately, find them

selves in dire need for medical assistant and has no means to pay for it, otherwise don't call

yourselfer a country that is 'ready to welcome and accommodate ALL tourist'....

I read a significant part of the costs are due to scooter accidents. Easy to solve, make scooter insurance mandatory with each rental! Solved.

Far too logical/sensibletongue.png

(and make rent shop owners liable for accident costs of anyone found to be uninsured).

Rents would probably fo up significantly (double?), but that's a good thing - way too cheap presently. I'm all for lack of regulation, except where it leads to ordinary folk having to pay for neanderthal behaviour.

• Like 1

On the surface, this proposed fee is justifiable and defendable.

The Ministry of Public Health gave himself an obvious, face saving exit with a deft play on words. Maybe that should be daft.

The Minster lost all credibility when saying only a portion of the estimated fee collection would actually go toward medical cost losses, and only a portion of said losses are attributable to tourists in the first place; yet the estimated fee collection grossly exceeds the total loss figure cited by the MoH. The Minister either doesn't know how to work a calculator or took a gamble that nobody would scrutinize this too much. Figures which are likely to include losses from providing subsidized or free government medical services to Thai nationals. In the absence of an enforced, national tax system for citizens, taxing tourists exiting the country and now entering the country, is the easy way out, instead of pushing unpopular policy decisions on Thai nationals.

They lost the plot even further a few days ago when the Thai Police and Ministry of Tourism and Sports (something like that) were quoted in an article slapping the Minister of Health on the back for such a great idea in hopes of a cut of the cash for their own rice bowls - on about attracting quality tourists and combating visa overstayers. blink.png

Then again, in my own Banana Republic (USA), a proposed bill gets all sorts of pork barrel hangers on attached to it along the way so in the end, a bill to fund highway improvements in Montana could also fund a 10 year study of the much beloved short nosed, yellow belly spotted ground squirrel population in Tanzania, at the mere cost of 10.7 million dollars which, my elected official reminds me is only .00000001% of the total national budget.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

OK so I live and work here. I pay Social Security and have private health cover. If I leave the country for vacation or business, do I have to pay the Baht 500? That is not clear and if so why as I am already contributing? How are they going to differentiate between me and a tourist? How will this be collected? Added to the price of a ticket or collected in cash on arrival as Bangkok Airways used to do on departure from Samui?

If 500 covered treatment in private hospital I would gladly pay it.

Also since even expats considered tourists, does that mean I can use free healthcare endlessly ? Or there is a limit?

Also for those who paid, do they just go to any hospital and it's free?

I am sure all questions raised are unanswered and the so caked tax is just money raising and nothing else.

Why not raise Thai from 30 baht to 35 or 40 baht to cover the losses

• Like 1

This will go in a total wrong direction and end up in a disaster.

When the word is out that you are entitled to medical services in Thailand for a 500 Baht flat fee monthly, expect tourist (patient) arrivals to jump sky high.

You've never been inside a governement hospital in rural Thailand, I can tell!

• Like 1

It was the Thai government that allowed foreign people to get basic treatment in Thailand. They should run it like in the USA and other countries, show and swipe your credit card before they give you treatment or take a cash deposit.

If they have no card, cash or insurance cover it is the fault of the patient so kick them out of the hospital with no treatment.

Easy, at least other tourists will not have to pay for them. As I said before, the ministers of the main departments have, (I Think) been told to think of some way to get more money in for the government to pay for the Rice cockup.

If it was about health costs, which we know it's not, why not insist all visitors have travel insurance, which most have anyway? This charge has nothing to do with health costs, it's just extortion. If the UK had to charge visitors for unpaid health costs it would have to be about 500 quid a visitor!

It would not surprise me one bit if the originator of this whole idea was Big-T himself ! It is common knowledge that he hates farangs, probably because most of them are able to see right through him. Do you not remember ? It must have been in his first day in office, several years ago, that he passed a law whereby farangs should not get interest on their bank accounts, causing many to close their accounts and deposit elsewhere. Talk about racism and illegality !

• Like 1

It would not surprise me one bit if the originator of this whole idea was Big-T himself ! It is common knowledge that he hates farangs, probably because most of them are able to see right through him. Do you not remember ? It must have been in his first day in office, several years ago, that he passed a law whereby farangs should not get interest on their bank accounts, causing many to close their accounts and deposit elsewhere. Talk about racism and illegality !

so when was that law repealed? a law cannot be passed by the PM in one day.

I don't mind paying the 500 baht but if I have an accident, heart attack, or stroke I am not paying the bill just

pointing to my entrance insurance and saying plenty of money in the fund.

• Like 1