Whos growing tomatos?

Sayonarax

Little tomatoes grow like weeds, started by accident from waste, crop up all over the bloody garden

little, indeed grow so accidentally.

if u go to market and ask ´' met makhyatheet yai ´means seeds to grow big tomatoes ..would help, hopefully

the plants are hanging upside down as they are meant to give more fruit that way and the branches need less support.

Wow. I'd be curious to see that, any pictures please ? smile.png

The plants are still young seedlings but many websites the wife looked at suggested this works. I'll sort the photos out tomorrow. She got the idea from an American advert for a $60+ bag that hangs upside down for growing tomatoes.

Thai gardening websites she looked at had all sorts of uses for empty water bottles and they suggested one plant hanging out the bottom and another can be grown at the top. Quite a clever idea if you have somewhere to hang these things.

Slightly off topic but anybody know how to grow Papaya trees from fresh seeds

i have some at home, i have to ask my wife, how to get...reply soon

Don't worry about being off topic, it's relevant as people are talking about growing from seeds.

I should imagine just shove them into the soil. Here's a link;

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-papaya.html

• Like 1

Hello All, newatthis, they are poly grow bags, black bags can be got at most Ag stores, the white ones

are from CM market, I think you can get them in downtown Pak Chong across from the bus station .

All the plants in bags are hydroponic grown.

rice555

Rice555,

Thanks for the photos.

Just need some help.

Where did you get those plastic wrap around type of containers and what mixture are you growing your tomatoes in?

Hello All, Torrens54, your toms are Hyb. seed, they "may" not grow true to what you saved

the seed from.

The same holds true to fresh or dry papaya seed.

This always goes to which is better, OP or Hyb., just something to be aware of.

rice555

Hello All, Torrens54, you can order your seed from Tomato Growers Supply

in FL online and they will ship to LOS, I've used them many times.

The Black from Tula, Black Cherry and Cisineors Genovese I listed in post #8

are from them.

rice555

$4.65 for 20 seed.

Tasti-lee VFFF Hybrid #5755 (20 seeds) This is a breakthrough new variety of large round red tomatoes developed at the University of Florida by Dr. Jay Scott. It is notable for its potential as a commercial tomato bred especially for vine-ripe harvest and great flavor. This also suits it well to home gardens and to production for fruit stands and farmers' markets. Tomatoes have just the right balance of sugar and acid plus high levels of health-promoting lycopene and rich red color inside and out. Firm texture and juicy flesh make it wonderful for slices, salads, or chopping into salsas or sauces. Determinate. 75 days.

Thanks rice555,

As we don't always have family visiting from the US, "FL online" sounds like a good alternative. The people at "Twilley Seeds" in the US were NOT at all inclined to be of any help and they wanted $53 for 250 seeds. (We are now growing from seeds gathered from last year's crop.) Will see how they go.

Cheers,

Torrens54.

I would kill for a Beefsteak tomato like I had in NJ when

I was a kid....so delicious....must be something in all the

polluted soil in NJ that makes em so good.

Eat your heart out lms! I'm in NJ right now and greedily consuming the last of the late season toms from the roadside stand near me (hwy 9 near Lakewood). The sweet corn is great too. You know what I mean, cooking is optional, a little butter and salt. Nom, nom, nom.laugh.png

I have tried to grow some larger tomatoes, but they all seem to split before ripe

Last season I planted some cherry tomatoe seeds from Australia

They just kept on producing right up till late March when they finally died

Its time to plant some more this week

Slightly off topic but anybody know how to grow Papaya trees from fresh seeds

The fresh seeds have an enzyme coating that retards sprouting. Dry them off, then wash them and plant 3 or 4 seeds in the spot you want the trees to grow. It should be slightly raised ground as they don't like too much water early in their life. If you start them in pots they don't always transplant too well.

Regards.

I use bamboo stakes - free, renewable and easy to work with.

magnesium OK. Bot if you enrich the soil beforehand and use some potash if you can get it you'll find the fertiliser totally unnecessary and you avoid the risk of over-nitrogenising the plants. The potash does the same thing as you describe for the magnesium. If you feel you MUST fertilise, use Seaweed Emulsion - a much healthier and cheaper option - just add water and with a watering cam apply around the root region.

As for seed sources, I find the best are Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I buy them on-line. They are good quality, and cheaper than most others in the US, and FAR cheaper than Australia and far more generous in their packs. Just make sure you buy varieties that are suited to the tropics and humid conditions.

It depends where you are located. I have no problem growing them as soon as the rainy season finishes, but we are at higher altitude. Better in part-shade despite what the "experts" tell you and better to buy DRV's (Disease Resistant varieties) because they tolerate the heat and humidity better - Start with Tropic or Moneymaker - medium sized and much easier to grow. As soon as the flower bunches appear cover them with small cotton squares - protects from the heat of the sun plus fruit-fly. Another local trick is to grow them under a "roof" of clear plastic, say about 2m high - protects them from some of the harmful rays of the sun plus helps to control watering if it rains.Mulch heavily to keep the soil temperature down as well as to maintain moisture.

Go easy on the fertiliser - you might end up with beautiful plants but no fruit - better to enrich the soil beforehand with lower nitrogen substances such as compost, humus and cow (not chicken) manure. Tomatoes respond amazingly to potash - a little difficult to buy in Thailand and expensive. A handful around the plant in its early growth stages and again as it is preparing to flower. Always water the ground (sparingly) NOT the leaves, and practice bed rotation to prevent soil borne diseases. Also to prevent disease, space them out well, stake them and NEVER allow the leaves to touch the soil.

If all this fails, grow cherry tomatoes. They grow like weeds, even in the rainy season. If they fail, give up!!!

This all seems to be good advice. I have tried and failed to grow tomatoes. Recently, I visited a tomato farm and was told they apply a fertilizer high in magnesium when the tomatoes are growing, to thicken the skins to prevent splitting. Can anyone confirm that?

What are you successful gardeners using to support your tomatoes? Wooden stakes? I tried fence wire cages as I did in the U.S. A Thai neighbor said the metal fence was the reason the vines wilted. Comments? Experience?

Just my two bits worth on splitting ... Tomatoes often split when the soil dries out while ripening and "explode" (split) when watered... so best to keep evenly moist soil ... and do not let the soil dry out! Water the roots, not the actual plant.

As for the metal cage, I cannot see that would make a difference... Thai's would not be used to such fancy equipment! wink.png .... bamboo or wood stakes would do the job though... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I use bamboo stakes - free, renewable and easy to work with.

magnesium OK. Bot if you enrich the soil beforehand and use some potash if you can get it you'll find the fertiliser totally unnecessary and you avoid the risk of over-nitrogenising the plants. The potash does the same thing as you describe for the magnesium. If you feel you MUST fertilise, use Seaweed Emulsion - a much healthier and cheaper option - just add water and with a watering cam apply around the root region.

As for seed sources, I find the best are Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I buy them on-line. They are good quality, and cheaper than most others in the US, and FAR cheaper than Australia and far more generous in their packs. Just make sure you buy varieties that are suited to the tropics and humid conditions.

It depends where you are located. I have no problem growing them as soon as the rainy season finishes, but we are at higher altitude. Better in part-shade despite what the "experts" tell you and better to buy DRV's (Disease Resistant varieties) because they tolerate the heat and humidity better - Start with Tropic or Moneymaker - medium sized and much easier to grow. As soon as the flower bunches appear cover them with small cotton squares - protects from the heat of the sun plus fruit-fly. Another local trick is to grow them under a "roof" of clear plastic, say about 2m high - protects them from some of the harmful rays of the sun plus helps to control watering if it rains.Mulch heavily to keep the soil temperature down as well as to maintain moisture.

Go easy on the fertiliser - you might end up with beautiful plants but no fruit - better to enrich the soil beforehand with lower nitrogen substances such as compost, humus and cow (not chicken) manure. Tomatoes respond amazingly to potash - a little difficult to buy in Thailand and expensive. A handful around the plant in its early growth stages and again as it is preparing to flower. Always water the ground (sparingly) NOT the leaves, and practice bed rotation to prevent soil borne diseases. Also to prevent disease, space them out well, stake them and NEVER allow the leaves to touch the soil.

If all this fails, grow cherry tomatoes. They grow like weeds, even in the rainy season. If they fail, give up!!!

This all seems to be good advice. I have tried and failed to grow tomatoes. Recently, I visited a tomato farm and was told they apply a fertilizer high in magnesium when the tomatoes are growing, to thicken the skins to prevent splitting. Can anyone confirm that?

What are you successful gardeners using to support your tomatoes? Wooden stakes? I tried fence wire cages as I did in the U.S. A Thai neighbor said the metal fence was the reason the vines wilted. Comments? Experience?

Just my two bits worth on splitting ... Tomatoes often split when the soil dries out while ripening and "explode" (split) when watered... so best to keep evenly moist soil ... and do not let the soil dry out! Water the roots, not the actual plant.

As for the metal cage, I cannot see that would make a difference... Thai's would not be used to such fancy equipment! wink.png .... bamboo or wood stakes would do the job though... thumbsup.gif

Hi all, very well explained sam, there are so many misconceptions about Tomatoes.

Hello All, some toms are more prone to cracking than others too.

One of my favorites is a Black Krim, very hard to grow without cracks

or zipper marks, and one reason there is not that many OP toms in

supermarkets as they can't take the shipping, one reason OG farmers

make a killing at local farmers in the states. Again they are shit for

shelf life.

Of to give mine some nutes.

rice555

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, Torrens54, you can order your seed from Tomato Growers Supply

in FL online and they will ship to LOS, I've used them many times.

The Black from Tula, Black Cherry and Cisineors Genovese I listed in post #8

are from them.

rice555

$4.65 for 20 seed.

Tasti-lee VFFF Hybrid #5755 (20 seeds) This is a breakthrough new variety of large round red tomatoes developed at the University of Florida by Dr. Jay Scott. It is notable for its potential as a commercial tomato bred especially for vine-ripe harvest and great flavor. This also suits it well to home gardens and to production for fruit stands and farmers' markets. Tomatoes have just the right balance of sugar and acid plus high levels of health-promoting lycopene and rich red color inside and out. Firm texture and juicy flesh make it wonderful for slices, salads, or chopping into salsas or sauces. Determinate. 75 days.

I just ordered the Tasti-lee seeds and my order arrived in Chiang Mai 12 days later. No duty/tax on my $10 order, in a JiffyLite envelope.

Intend to plant soon - my first time planting tomatoes!

Recently I ordered seeds from the USA and were shipped by FedEx. The customs would not allow the seeds to enter because I did not have a certificate with the shipment. I had to abandon the shipment at my loss. Further, I notice warnings that the postal authorities are now inspected seed shipments. Seems difficult to get seeds in without someone handcarrying them.

Recently I ordered seeds from the USA and were shipped by FedEx. The customs would not allow the seeds to enter because I did not have a certificate with the shipment. I had to abandon the shipment at my loss. Further, I notice warnings that the postal authorities are now inspected seed shipments. Seems difficult to get seeds in without someone handcarrying them.

Next time just get the company or a friend to send them in a plain or jiffy envelope without a customs declaration. Some seeds in a letter, who would know?

Hello All, I usual get about 1Lb. of seed twice a year by USPS Express Mail,

why would you pay more to ship FedEx Don?

It is delivered to my door and has to be signed for, so no loss of packages,

no tax or extra fees.

As a CM member of TV just posted, he got his seed from TGS, in FL in an

envelope by USPS with no problems.

I'm about to order more seed from CO and FL,but will be sent to WA to be

re-mailed with some hard to find food items and family pic's, never had a

problem with Express or Priority USPS. I think you will see people on the

TV Internet forum also use USPS without the FX-DHL ect. BS and taxes.

TIT.

rice555

Hello All, I usual get about 1Lb. of seed twice a year by USPS Express Mail,

why would you pay more to ship FedEx Don?

It is delivered to my door and has to be signed for, so no loss of packages,

no tax or extra fees.

As a CM member of TV just posted, he got his seed from TGS, in FL in an

envelope by USPS with no problems.

I'm about to order more seed from CO and FL,but will be sent to WA to be

re-mailed with some hard to find food items and family pic's, never had a

problem with Express or Priority USPS. I think you will see people on the

TV Internet forum also use USPS without the FX-DHL ect. BS and taxes.

TIT.

rice555

I think many folks are wary of the duty/tax which can be assigned by the Royal Thai Customs. There is a sign posted at Hang Dong Post Office stating that items valued at less than 1,000 baht are not subject to Customs duty. Anybody had a different experience?

Planted some of the Thai seed what seems like months ago, just turning red now. I tried "Sun Golds" last year from seed I bought in the states. The plants did well but the fruit got small green spots that looked to be just under the skin and they didn't taste nearly as good as went I grew them back home.

I checked my "tomato" plants yesterday and was really astonished, i had many small green chili's growing on them! clap2.gif

Guess i have to drink more coffee and take a Thai language-course wai.gifcheesy.gif

I know the seeds look similar but couldn't you tell that the stems weren't hairy like tomato plants? Percy Thrower must be rolling in his grave.tongue.png

Hello All, if you've grown toms, eggs and chills more than a few times,

it's quite easy to tell the difference in the seed!

It is very easy to tell the difference between the three when the have

their first set of true leafs.

rice555

I checked my "tomato" plants yesterday and was really astonished, i had many small green chili's growing on them! clap2.gif

Guess i have to drink more coffee and take a Thai language-course wai.gifcheesy.gif

I know the seeds look similar but couldn't you tell that the stems weren't hairy like tomato plants? Percy Thrower must be rolling in his grave.tongue.png

I should know the difference between a tomatoplant and a chili, i grew both several times. I guess it was very warm the day i bought that plant.

Today i bought a real tomatoplant, small tomato's for 20 baht. Well now i have both, perfect.

i dont understand the difficulty here in growing tomatoes , my farm in the kimberley region of western australia had a hotter and more humid climate than isaan , yet for 6 to 7 months we could grow masses of tomatoes , is it the variety ?

Hello All, cdmtdm I think it has to do with what some people try to

grow here, and again where they are located.

A lot of verity choice for me has been to see if it will take heat and

humidity.

You can grow some verities that don't take well to heat, but you'll

not get the size/quantity that you would get in a more faviorable

temperate growing region.

On another note, this is one of my longtime favorites in LOS, one

of my TGS purchases sent from them, Black Cherry, almost ripe.

rice555

post-37242-0-91630600-1385215682_thumb.j

• Like 1