Thai people's obsession with dogs

michaeltheR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're so obsessed that they let them roam the streets, shag in the middle of the road, poo everywhere and bark and bark and bark. I have one dog, never leaves the garden unless on a lead, never dumps whilst out, is fed well, washed regularly and is my buddy, am I obsessed. No way, a dog is only a dog.

I never saw dogs being walked by maids. The city I stay in, and your city must differ.

I only see them locked inside and no one walks them.

Same here.

Once in a blue moon I see a foreigner walk his dog.

Never see Thais really do that.

Of course, we westerners have this ridicules bizarre relationships to these animals, acting like they are family members, as the locals have a more rational and pragmatic view on which level these creatures belong to in society.

Edited by Travel2003

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a gated community and walk many dogs of thai neighbours who are too lazy to do that. They buy puppies because they are so cute but a year later give them away to the temple or somebody else. They don't care at all and might buy a new puppie next month.

Thai dogs don't listen at all because they have never been trained. Streetdogs are fed by locals so they can guard their house, they don't have money for security. Dogs with a collar belong to somebody, if that dog causes you to have an accident the owner is responsible. I don't like streetdogs because they are not scared at all for traffic and i also ride a motorbike. Now i know the trick to scare them, lift your foot like you want to kick them and then they are gone very fast.