Shisha Shakedown by District Chief in South Pattaya entertainment zone

webfact

Shisha Shakedown by District Chief in South Pattaya entertainment zone

shisha-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Tuesday, The District Chief along with Customs officials and Pattaya Police conducted a sweep of bars in and around Walking Street in South Pattaya in search of venues illegally selling Shisha.

Many bars and other venues were checked and warnings were issued for the illegal practice to stop or prosecutions would follow.

One unnamed bar was also found not to have the correct liquor license and was shut down. The owner was arrested and will be prosecuted in accordance with Thai Law.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/107243/shisha-shakedown-district-chief-south-pattaya-entertainment-zone/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-29

Shisha alone is enough to put my off going anywhere near walking street. I dont understand the Thai thinking behind trying to have a bar full of Arabs smoking shisha and drinking tea all night surely there not making as much profit as when there were bars full of westerners drinking beers all night. I'l stick to Soi L.K or anywhere else where i can avoid the stink from those pipes.

• Like 1

I think the margin on Shisha is probably a lot higher than a Westerner holding on to a Singh all night.......

maybe.. maybe not. (it would be interesting to know what the actual profit margin is to rent a shisha pipe to a customer for an hour is) but either way it's the reason i avoid walking street now and the last time i looked i think many westerners are doing the same.

I didn't even know shisha is illegal.

smoking a shisha is not illegal. but providing shisha pipes against payment obviously requires a license.

ah.. the inability of journalists to explain the simplest facts continues to amaze me.

smoking a shisha is not illegal. but providing shisha pipes against payment obviously requires a license.

ah.. the inability of journalists to explain the simplest facts continues to amaze me.

The report uses the expression "...illegally selling Shisha...", not "selling illegal Shisha". Could hardly be simpler than that.

The report uses the expression "...illegally selling Shisha...", not "selling illegal Shisha". Could hardly be simpler than that.

Nope - there could also be a general ban on selling shisha, while possession and consumption could be legal.

The legal facts were insufficiently explained.

Shisha alone is enough to put my off going anywhere near walking street. I dont understand the Thai thinking behind trying to have a bar full of Arabs smoking shisha and drinking tea all night surely there not making as much profit as when there were bars full of westerners drinking beers all night. I'l stick to Soi L.K or anywhere else where i can avoid the stink from those pipes.

Looks like you are unaware of the fairly large local Thai Sunni Muslim population in Pattaya, that is reflected in the presence of many mosques. A number of these places for smoking shisha are owned by the local Thai Muslim population as well as Thai Buddhists.

It's a waste of time smoking this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well I'm sure it's a relaxing social activity. However, shisha smoke is extremely carcinogenic. Very little that is fun doesn't kill you!

Edited by Jingthing

Haven`t seen many arabs smoking shisha in WS.Loads of thai girls and many westerners(including myself thumbsup.gif ) is enjoying it.

I think most prefers the smell of shisha`s compared to the regular "garbage and drain" fumes.

• Like 2

So next a similar event will happen as with pool tables about 2 decades ago, which is that you need a license from the police station .

You then will travel to the police station only to be informed that NO licenses are available, but that a monthly donation to a certain tea fund will wave the requirement of the license.