Penang Visa Run Report

I got my Tourist Visa yesterday in Penang.

I had mistakenly booked a hotel 7 km from Georgetown so I had to take a taxi. I told the driver to take me to the Mingood Hotel because I wanted to use their visa service (which someone recommended on this forum). The driver suggested he just take me straight to the consulate so I could do it myself. I had been feeling lazy, but since I had nothing else to do all day I agreed. According the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur website, for a Tourist Visa all that is needed are two photos. I had those and a completed application (they have a pile at the embassy in any case). It took about an hour to make it through the line (I arrived about 10:00). When I got there, he wanted a copy of my passport page. He politely gave me a slip so that I wouldn't have to wait in line again and told me to go outside and get my scan.

There is a guy who has a set-up in the back of his truck right outside the gate where you enter the consulate. Scans (passport page, ets) 2 RM for first page, 1 RM for the second. Photos are 20 RM for 8 photos. Afterwards I returned to the window, gave the consulate officer my filled out slip and 110 RM and he said to come back at 3:30 that afternoon. Now, there's one benefit of going to the consulate yourself, same day service without paying extra. I came back at 3:50 and there was a line. They hadn't opened yet. When they finally did at 4:00, the line moved pretty quickly. When I picked up my passport, the officer said, "American...how do you like what's happening in your country?" with a big smile. I groaned, shook my head and smiled back. All-in-all a positive experience with the consulate from the officer, to the guard at the gate and the copy/scan guy. All pleasant.

NOTE: Be sure to take enough change (10s, 20s) with you because they won't make change. I tried to pay my 2 RM scan bill with a 50 (knowing that wouldn't really work, but you never know until you try). I then bought the 20 RM photos since those are always needed and he gave me the photos and scan for 20, a discount of 2 RM). There's probably a money changer out there as well making a healthy profit.

Another thing, there was a guy from Sierra Leone two people in front of me. Apparently he already had 3 back-to-back visas (I'm pretty sure it was a Tourist Visa) and the officer gave him hell. Asking how he could support himself, etc, finally telling him that this would be his last visa. He was charged 230 RM which made me think I was going to have to pay that much too. I had to pay only 110 RM that's why I'm not sure whether he was on a Tourist Visa or not, even though I'm sure that's what I heard. It could be a case of the negative stereotype of people from Africa and what they do in Thailand. That's just conjecture on my part.

Edited by mopar71

Hello,
How much did you pay for the taxi?

According to the taxi stand rate card published, 15 RM to the consulate from where I picked it up on Jalan Penang across from that small row of bars next to the Citadel Hotel. You can haggle with them though. I got a combined deal of stopping at the consulate on the way to my hotel in Tanjung Bungah (35 RM, still not great). On Monday morning after submitting my paperwork I decided to sight-see and walk back to Georgetown. It took me an hour. There is rarely any pavement or crosswalks so walking isn't a casual stroll - although I did see a meter-long monitor lizard swimming along the drain. A taxi is a good idea.

The sign on the taxi door says that it is a metered taxi, haggling is forbidden and to be sure to get a receipt. But they all haggle anyway. When I first arrived by minibus it dropped us off on Chulia street. I got in a taxi to go to my hotel and he said "no meter, flat rate 25 RM to Tanjung Bungah". Well, he had the meter on anyway and it read 15 RM when I got to my hotel (only 7 km away). So there is some room to bargain with them.

Just returned from Penang. Stayed at Mingood Hotel, old but pleasant. Manager will do all your paperwork and submit and collect for 50rgt (500 baht). While waiting for passport I wandered down Chulia St to the oldest bar in Penang-"The Hong Kong Bar" where a farang from Phuket was cursing that a new manager had taken over at the Thai Consulate and she was refusing 12 month visas unless you had 1 mill in Thai bank account and only granting 3 month visas. I asked Mingood manager if this was true and he told me I had no problem (neither did I have 1 mill). Anyway, it transpires that the Consulate has a list of couriers to which it will not grant 12 month multiple entry non-immigrant O visas. Upshot is that I got 12 month visa but the other guys only got 3 months cos they used the sharks down Jalan Chulia.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
Just came back from the Penang embassy to apply for a 60 day tourist visa.

My passport has several 60 tourist visas already & a one-year work permit & visa.

Counter attendant said they only allow single entry applications.

If I have any problems getting this I will try to update here.

• 1 month later...

Did you get tourist visa without problems?

Just came back from the Penang embassy to apply for a 60 day tourist visa.
My passport has several 60 tourist visas already & a one-year work permit & visa.
Counter attendant said they only allow single entry applications.
If I have any problems getting this I will try to update here.

Just returned from Penang. Stayed at Mingood Hotel, old but pleasant. Manager will do all your paperwork and submit and collect for 50rgt (500 baht). While waiting for passport I wandered down Chulia St to the oldest bar in Penang-"The Hong Kong Bar" where a farang from Phuket was cursing that a new manager had taken over at the Thai Consulate and she was refusing 12 month visas unless you had 1 mill in Thai bank account and only granting 3 month visas. I asked Mingood manager if this was true and he told me I had no problem (neither did I have 1 mill). Anyway, it transpires that the Consulate has a list of couriers to which it will not grant 12 month multiple entry non-immigrant O visas. Upshot is that I got 12 month visa but the other guys only got 3 months cos they used the sharks down Jalan Chulia.

Hope this helps.

- How long did it take Mingood to turnaround the passport.

- When you say 12 months visa, can you be more specific on which type and category visa you applied for? What was the required paperwork?

Also sent PM.

Edited by 4evermaat