Middle Thailand Increasingly Thinking Marrying A Farang Is "Low Class"

VisaProblem

I don't see the point of how joining in 2004 makes the OP invalid. I have posted 35 times or so over 9 years. Does the fact that I don't have a compulsive internet addiction make my observations not worthy ?

NO! why you dont get it?! For god's sake do you homework!

You have to post a least few thousands mild tempered messages,

spend at least 8 hours a day for the last 12 months on TV forum,

post a picture of your poodle and your hamster- if you dont have, go buy one now- ....................

before you are allowed to open a new thread that might hurt the old delusioned TV fellas.

Dont you know they are all in their 70s! They might get upset!

tongue.png cheers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point of how joining in 2004 makes the OP invalid. I have posted 35 times or so over 9 years. Does the fact that I don't have a compulsive internet addiction make my observations not worthy ?

NO! why you dont get it?! For god's sake do you homework!

You have to post a least few thousands mild tempered messages,

spend at least 8 hours a day for the last 12 months on TV forum,

post a picture of your poodle and your hamster- if you dont have, go buy one now- ....................

before you are allowed to open a new thread that might hurt the old delusioned TV fellas.

Dont you know they are all in their 70s! They might get upset!

tongue.png cheers

That's it - I'm officially incensed !

Keyboard+Warrior+much.+I+hope+you+feel+b

This is all <deleted>. I married a so say 'middle class Thai ' from Mid Thailand and we have spent six years being respected by all her family and friends. If it's so looked down on to marry a Farang why is it that every week my wife is asked to find one for middle class women's daughters to marry.

As a father I can't imagine going around searching for random men to marry my daughter. rolleyes.gif

If what the OP says is true - and I'm not entirely convinced it is - then the primary reason why some newly-moneyed, emerging Thai middle class might think that way about Thai/Farang marriages has less to do with the differences between the cultures and more to do with the massive age gap that tends to hallmark an awful lot of the mixed couples they've seen.

Despite the self-serving and, quite frankly, ridiculous assertions from some forum members married to women up to 35 years their junior that huge age-gap relationships are perfectly common and acceptable in Thailand, the truth is they're not. The norm is for couples to be of a similar age. While it is certainly true that advanced years are revered in Asia, be under no illusions; as far as Thais are concerned, it's one thing to have respect for your elders but quite another to take a portion off them.

+1

The 800lb gorilla in the room that 75 percent of the forum membership swear isn't there.

Can't think why whistling.gif

• Like 2

This is all <deleted>. I married a so say 'middle class Thai ' from Mid Thailand and we have spent six years being respected by all her family and friends. If it's so looked down on to marry a Farang why is it that every week my wife is asked to find one for middle class women's daughters to marry.

As a father I can't imagine going around searching for random men to marry my daughter. rolleyes.gif

Any farang lad who crosses my doorstep is going to get a very hard time.

Who cares want some middle class Thai thinks?

Apparently a very large chunk of this board not only cares, they are completely obsessed with what middle-class Thais think of them. If I bought a Thai woman back to Oz, I know tongues would be wagging, but who the hell cares ? As long as the couple in question is happy, the rest of the world can get bent. I've heard the drivel that comes out of my sister's mouth when the subject of Asian women living in her godforsaken town comes up, and I don't even bother trying to address some of the BS she comes out with. I was able to wander around Brissie with an Indonesian-Chinese friend a few years back - barely a glance - but when I took her back to Rockhampton it was a different story. White trash town with incredibly small minds, but my job paid well and I just ignored the hick population.

End of the day, xenophobes gonna hate.

• Like 1

Who cares want some middle class Thai thinks?

Apparently a very large chunk of this board not only cares, they are completely obsessed with what middle-class Thais think of them. If I bought a Thai woman back to Oz, I know tongues would be wagging, but who the hell cares ? As long as the couple in question is happy, the rest of the world can get bent. I've heard the drivel that comes out of my sister's mouth when the subject of Asian women living in her godforsaken town comes up, and I don't even bother trying to address some of the BS she comes out with. I was able to wander around Brissie with an Indonesian-Chinese friend a few years back - barely a glance - but when I took her back to Rockhampton it was a different story. White trash town with incredibly small minds, but my job paid well and I just ignored the hick population.

End of the day, xenophobes gonna hate.

There is a wonderful oxymoron in there.

Middle class Thai.

I have yet to understand where that fits

Ask a middle class Thai what they think of Anna Nicole Smith. Of course there's a stigma attached to marrying someone with nothing in common, much older than for you, and perceivably for money. It's got little to do with where you were born. And in the end, it's just an opinion.

• Like 1

Ask a middle class Thai what they think of Anna Nicole Smith. Of course there's a stigma attached to marrying someone with nothing in common, much older than for you, and perceivably for money. It's got little to do with where you were born. And in the end, it's just an opinion.

Gaeng maaak. Uwan nid noi.

You're probably right. Nom yai duay.

You're probably right. Nom yai duay.

Kaer nan.

I have yet to see one of your "middle class Thais" that don't marry for social or economic advancement. I know a few Thai women with money of their own (not huge money, but enough) who would never marry a Thai man as they would prefer to live with a husband and not a 12 year old son (as they see their mentality).

I have yet to see one of your "middle class Thais" that don't marry for social or economic advancement. I know a few Thai women with money of their own (not huge money, but enough) who would never marry a Thai man as they would prefer to live with a husband and not a 12 year old son (as they see their mentality).

Not sure what a middle=class is. I'd guess people like university lecturers or perhaps small business owners.

I have a few lecturer friends who are married and I think they got married because they love their partner.

It's a myth that Thai women don't want to marry a Thai man but would rather a foreigner. This just isn't true. If you meet a woman who criticizes Thai men just ask her about her father.

• Like 2

Not sure what a middle=class is. I'd guess people like university lecturers or perhaps small business owners.

I have a few lecturer friends who are married and I think they got married because they love their partner.

It's a myth that Thai women don't want to marry a Thai man but would rather a foreigner. This just isn't true. If you meet a woman who criticizes Thai men just ask her about her father.

what a load of codswallop. any idea how many thai men use hookers and have mistresses and/or girlfriends?

what a load of codswallop. any idea how many thai men use hookers and have mistresses and/or girlfriends?

I love that word - codswallop. Yes, I have a pretty good idea how many Thai men have mistresses and/or girl friends. Not as high as the westerners I know that use prostitutes. Have you ever thought that the girlfriends/mistresses might be married or that Thai women might have had married boyfriends before they got married? I assume that Thailand has got pretty much the same number of men as women. Where would all the faithful women come from?

Edited by Neeranam

68 years old. One of the most respected people in the world and certainly in South East Asia. Aung San Suu Kyi. Who did she marry?

Hmm, Aung San Suu Kyi is Burmese , and, was was educated at Cambridge so she is deffo NOT a middle-class Thai ...

You wrote, " It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise." Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the most respected people in Asia and she was married to a Farang not tarnishing her Asian image in the slightest. If you were correct her marriage would have made her less respected in Asia which it did not.

Your thoughts remind me of the Japanese propaganda during WW II where, "Asia for the Asians" was a widespread slogan.

Thats's great but were talking about Thais, not other Asian nationalities, and were talking about the blinkered Thai middle-class not elite daughter-of-a-ruling general Camdridge graduates from a completely different country.

No, you brought up Asia in your post #63 where you wrote, "It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise. In another 10 years time, how and whom will be the profile of who is marrying into Thailand will be even more different"

BTW, she did not go to Camdridge she went to , "St Hugh's College, Oxford,"

So if you didn't want to talk about Asia in a broad sense why did you bring it up?

Even in a narrow sense Aung San Suu Ky is one of the most respected women in Thailand as well as Burma and she married a Farang.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I love that word - codswallop. Yes, I have a pretty good idea how many Thai men have mistresses and/or girl friends. Not as high as the westerners I know that use prostitutes. Have you ever thought that the girlfriends/mistresses might be married or that Thai women might have had married boyfriends before they got married? I assume that Thailand has got pretty much the same number of men as women. Where would all the faithful women come from?

for a guy that pretends to know so much about thailand, you really provide us with a ton of laughs . for one thing they didnt go into a temple. and i notice you pretended not to notice the fact that so many of the men use hookers.

Even in a narrow sense Aung San Suu Ky is one of the most respected women in Thailand as well as Burma and she married a Farang.[/url]

Really, most Thais I know don't like the Burmese.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9303376/Aung-San-Suu-Kyi-visits-Thailand-on-her-first-foreign-trip-in-24-years.html?frame=2235664

She was greeted like a rock star when she arrived in Thailand and all over the world. I guess you were not here when she visited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18254085

post-187908-0-31251200-1383108002_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

Even in a narrow sense Aung San Suu Ky is one of the most respected women in Thailand as well as Burma and she married a Farang.[/url]

Really, most Thais I know don't like the Burmese.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9303376/Aung-San-Suu-Kyi-visits-Thailand-on-her-first-foreign-trip-in-24-years.html?frame=2235664

She was greeted like a rock star when she arrived in Thailand and all over the world. I guess you were not here when she visited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18254085

lol! this guy is battin 0.000

for a guy that pretends to know so much about thailand, you really provide us with a ton of laughs . for one thing they didnt go into a temple. and i notice you pretended not to notice the fact that so many of the men use hookers.

Who didn't go into a temple?

I notice that many men use hookers. I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Edited by Neeranam

I notice that many men use hookers. I think you are confusing me with someone else.

no i'm not

no i'm not

Well I don't understand your gibberish.

What are you talking about? What temple?

coffee1.gif

Despite the initial comments - most probably from those who've been the butt of jokes and sneers by the middle class Thais and, despite their assertions, actually DO give a toss what they think even if only because it's a cross their wives/GFs must bear - the thread was quite interesting.

• Like 1

I think middle class would in my definition be a family where money wouldn't be the biggest decision maker in whom their daughter should marry.

In which case there aren't many middle class families at all. Whilst the money might change hands, if your first priority isn't the happiness and safety of your daughter, you are basically no higher up the ladder than the lowest of the low.

Are you honestly saying that if you saw a 20 something farang lady with a 60 or 70 year old partner, you wouldnt consider that odd?

I ended by saying ultimately people should do what makes them happy (and "who are we to judge").

There was nothing judgemental in my post, in fact, it was pro being happy in life.

Cant speak the bloody truth on this forum, especially if you are a farang woman.

The fact of the matter that any farang woman with a voice in this forum is shot down, thats the long and the shot of it really.

And if me and my wife are the same age? Is that odd? If we are educated? If we actually communicate in 3 different languages together (and I am not counting the "language of love" haha)? Would that change what these "middle Thailand" people think?

And why would I care what middling people think about me. I have lived all over the world not because I cared what the people racing to the middle thought, and I imagine that is true about most (not all) of the TV members here, which is why you are getting such a bad reception on this thread.

Cheers for the drastically muddled up quotes. o.O

I also dont get your reply, is it in response to me or someone else?

If its in response to me, my point is no one should judge what makes others happy, but if a 20 something year old has a 60/70 year old boyfriend/husband it will appear odd.

But apparently im completely wrong!

90% of male uni students had been in a brothel. I'm assuming many of the male Uni students went on to become middle class Thais, owning a small business of working in education.

Interesting in that those considered "middle class" exceed the national average for brothel use (90% male students Vs 75% general male population)

I'm assuming those with 'business clients' are also middle class.

Interesting survey

http://prostitution.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004119

75% of Thai males have used the services of a prostitute at least once.

Extract

"Professor Vicharn Vitiyasai of Chang Mai University... emphasized that, 'In Thai society, boys begin to buy women when they are around 13 years old; 50 per cent of 16-year-old boys and 90 per cent of university students go to brothels. Married men also think it natural to entertain business clients and friends by taking them to brothels, and they visit brothels themselves as a part of the joy of travel.'"

Edited by FiftyTwo