New US passport in Bangkok

What pray tell might be the latest procedure for obtaining a new US passport.

I only need pages but since the passport expires in 2015, it is not worth the exhorbitant fee charged for extra pages.

Do I need to have an appointment? Can I just fill out a form give them pictures and payment and wait?

Any 'helpful' replies will be welcome.

I obtained a new US PP in BKK in 2008. I don't recall having to make an appointment; just went in to US Consulate visa section, filled out the application with new photos, turned it in along with the fee and in about 2 weeks I had my new PP. Don't know what the new procedure is now, or if there is one.

The appointment system for U.S. consulate business in BKK has been in place for some time... To get pages added or apply for a replacement passport, except in cases of emergency, you need to use their online appointments system.

The 10 day turnaround time is from the time you submit your passport application and pay the fee at the Consulate until the new passport is available for pickup or delivery.

The wait time to get an appointment once you go into the online scheduling website usually is pretty short, but can vary depending on the time of the year and other factors... When I did my app for a replacement passport a few months ago, I think I had to wait a couple business days until they had an available appointment slot.

If you stay outside of Bangkok but where there is a consular outreach, Pattaya and ??, I believe you can apply when they visit your area, but you will need to collect the new passport from the embassy in Bangkok.

You will need to make an appointment if you apply at the embassy, but (I'm fairly certain) not when you go there to collect the new passport.

Edited by Suradit69

Appointments have been seriously mandatory since July of last year you cannot even get through the door without one.

You can make the appointment as much as a month or more in advance.

You can buy an EMS envelope at embassy or outreach for them to send passport to you.

No appointment is needed for picking up the passport but you need a copy of the email they will send you when your passport arrives at embassy.

I obtained a new US PP in BKK in 2008. I don't recall having to make an appointment; just went in to US Consulate visa section, filled out the application with new photos, turned it in along with the fee and in about 2 weeks I had my new PP. Don't know what the new procedure is now, or if there is one.

-----------------------

Everyone needs an appointment now.

You can make an appointment on line, then print out the sppoimtment confirmation and number.

Show that with your U.S.passport at the embessy security entrance, and they give you queue number..

All the details are on the ACS (American Citizen Services) site you can access from the embessy website on the internet.

I believe the new passport fee is over $100 now ..... but I haven't done a new passport in 8 years, so I could be wrong.

My passport needs renewal in 2015 also.

This is the list of Consular Outreach Dates scheduled so far for FY 2014. No appointment is necessary for passport renewal applications; renewed passports can be returned by EMS negating any need to visit the US Embassy in Bangkok.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

Only has January dates. Perhaps more later.

Yes -- I guess the shutdown earlier this month put their outreach scheduling on the flummox. BTW some have mentioned the problem when bringing spouse and family to Bangkok for a US Embassy appointment. I went to an outreach in September 2013 and it looked more like an Easter Sunday Easter Egg Hunt with all the kids and family around. Very relaxed in a nice hotel.

Yes -- I guess the shutdown earlier this month put their outreach scheduling on the flummox. BTW some have mentioned the problem when bringing spouse and family to Bangkok for a US Embassy appointment. I went to an outreach in September 2013 and it looked more like an Easter Sunday Easter Egg Hunt with all the kids and family around. Very relaxed in a nice hotel. 

Ubon is not on list for January which for me is good if they have one later and before early August. It might fall within 6 months for income affidavit.

Any one with experience of using the appointment system? How far in advance can you make an appointment?

My guess that the system will take longer than the 10 days for the passport.

I looked at the BKK Consulate's online appointments system today re passport appointments... As of this afternoon, their first available date was this coming Friday...and they had openings every business day for the entire month of November.

Bottom line.. You need an appointment....

I don't think they will issue you a new passport as your expires in 2015 unless you state it is lost or stolen.

Keep in mind that if you do get a new passport you will need to get a new Thai Visa and pay the fee again.

I would just add the pages

We did the online thing for an appointment , and received the appointment for 8 days later.

We went to the Embassy to help my wifes nephew get an Immigrant visa. His mother is a US citizen.

We had the papers filled out, and we just needed some information.

No can do! I have never been treated so badly by a government agency in my life.

Not that it will do any good , but when I get back to the US I intend on calling my Senator and filing a complaint.

The Embassy personnel would only hand me a slip with the website on it.

Maybe I should wait till the nephew gets his visa!

Good luck at the Embassy. Its probably run by Democrats. Chulai 6768

I have done exactly what you are asking about. So here is what I say:

Do not renew your passport first of all. It will require you to jump through a good many hoops getting the Thai stuff (entry card, visa, or whatever else) transferred into the new US Passport through Thai immigration!

Get the addition pages put in instead. The process is easy enough. You go to the Citizen Services office (Across the street from the US Embassy) and you do not have to wait in the usually long line at the door by showing your US Passport. Get there early it helps... just like at the DMV back home). Then trough the security bit and once inside the office (turn left after you clear security building) and go through the process. It used to be that additional pages were free... not anymore! They cost about $80 something now (if memory serves. The exact amount escapes me). You pay that fee at the cashiers window (on the far left of the counter around a small corner) and then hand the receipt you passport and form (they have them there. I cannot remember filling out a form... but...) to the clerk at the other window which will be marked somehow (mine had a sign). Then you leave and come back when they tell you. Mine took a bit longer because of a back log I was told with "we are sorry for the delay". Then you are good to go.

An appointment is a good idea. Though you can just walk in easily enough. Just go on their web site and check hours and days that they are open. Sometimes they are closed on Fridays and Thai holidays. These are important to find out about. I did mine on a Wednesday and picked it up on the following Monday (as I said there was a back log and so the extra days wait with a weekend). But it is a straight forward deal and as long as you have no outstanding issues of a 'legal nature' in the US or here in Thai you will have no problem. But remember that if you do have some (child support arrears included!) in the US or in Thai... the Embassy can order your passport seized right there and then until you sort things out (saw it happen when I was there to a guy who was asked to go into the private office on the far right).

But it really is not a real big issue. Though why they had the BBC News on the TV in the waiting area and not CNN was beyond me.

Do not renew your passport first of all. It will require you to jump through a good many hoops getting the Thai stuff (entry card, visa, or whatever else) transferred into the new US Passport through Thai immigration!

Get the addition pages put in instead. The process is easy enough. You go to the Citizen Services office (Across the street from the US Embassy) and you do not have to wait in the usually long line at the door by showing your US Passport. Get there early it helps... just like at the DMV back home). Then trough the security bit and once inside the office (turn left after you clear security building) and go through the process. It used to be that additional pages were free... not anymore! They cost about $80 something now (if memory serves. The exact amount escapes me). You pay that fee at the cashiers window (on the far left of the counter around a small corner) and then hand the receipt you passport and form (they have them there. I cannot remember filling out a form... but...) to the clerk at the other window which will be marked somehow (mine had a sign). Then you leave and come back when they tell you. Mine took a bit longer because of a back log I was told with "we are sorry for the delay". Then you are good to go.

An appointment is a good idea. Though you can just walk in easily enough. Just go on their web site and check hours and days that they are open. Sometimes they are closed on Fridays and Thai holidays. These are important to find out about. I did mine on a Wednesday and picked it up on the following Monday (as I said there was a back log and so the extra days wait with a weekend). But it is a straight forward deal and as long as you have no outstanding issues of a 'legal nature' in the US or here in Thai you will have no problem. But remember that if you do have some (child support arrears included!) in the US or in Thai... the Embassy can order your passport seized right there and then until you sort things out (saw it happen when I was there to a guy who was asked to go into the private office on the far right).

But it really is not a real big issue. Though why they had the BBC News on the TV in the waiting area and not CNN was beyond me.

Obviously someone that doesn't have a clue and thinks that he knows what's going on. Trust me he doesn't. you need and appointment for either transaction, getting a new passport or getting extra pages added. $110 for a new passport, takes approximately 10 days or $82 for additional pages, takes 30 minutes. You will not get in without an appointment and don't bring anyone with you, your wife, because they will have to stand outside and wait for you.

If you are on an extension of stay, when you get your new passport you will get a letter also. You take the letter and your passport to the office that issued your last extension of stay and they will transfer the necessary stamps to your new passport. There is no charge for this. If you are here on a visa entry , you do not have to have any stamps transferred to your new passport, you just show both passports to immigration when you leave. If the visa, in your old passport, is multiple entry then you need to show both passports when you reenter.

It's not really a big problem! An appointment is not just a good idea, it is a requirement no matter what you do unless it's an emergency! And make sure that yustand behind the red line, which doesn't exisit, as you wait to check in at the window on the right with your appointment slip!

• Like 1

Bottom line..  You need an appointment....

I don't think they will issue you a new passport as your expires in 2015 unless you state it is lost or stolen.

Keep in mind that if you do get a new passport you will need to get a new Thai Visa and pay the fee again.

They will do do a new passport with several years remaining on old one without a problem. If you are willing to pay for it they will do it.

We did the online thing for an appointment , and received the appointment for 8 days later.

We went to the Embassy to help my wifes nephew get an Immigrant visa. His mother is a US citizen.

We had the papers filled out, and we just needed some information.

No can do! I have never been treated so badly by a government agency in my life.

Not that it will do any good , but when I get back to the US I intend on calling my Senator and filing a complaint.

The Embassy personnel would only hand me a slip with the website on it.

Maybe I should wait till the nephew gets his visa!

Good luck at the Embassy. Its probably run by Democrats. Chulai 6768

A bit off topic. You were not going to ACS where you apply for passports

You went to the visa section. It seems that he was trying to get a non immigrant visa not a immigrant visa.

To get a immigrant visa would require his mother to start the process by filing a petition in the US.

Obviously someone that doesn't have a clue and thinks that he knows what's going on. Trust me he doesn't. you need and appointment for either transaction, getting a new passport or getting extra pages added. $110 for a new passport, takes approximately 10 days or $82 for additional pages, takes 30 minutes. You will not get in without an appointment and don't bring anyone with you, your wife, because they will have to stand outside and wait for you.

If you are on an extension of stay, when you get your new passport you will get a letter also. You take the letter and your passport to the office that issued your last extension of stay and they will transfer the necessary stamps to your new passport. There is no charge for this. If you are here on a visa entry , you do not have to have any stamps transferred to your new passport, you just show both passports to immigration when you leave. If the visa, in your old passport, is multiple entry then you need to show both passports when you reenter.

It's not really a big problem! An appointment is not just a good idea, it is a requirement no matter what you do unless it's an emergency! And make sure that yustand behind the red line, which doesn't exisit, as you wait to check in at the window on the right with your appointment slip!

Actually Thai Immigration has changed their policy, where they will not transfer for free you stamps into your new passport, you will have to fill out all the paper work again and pay the fees again. Thier was a post here on ThaiVisa about it.

Not exactly a true statement. If you have a valid passport and it is valid for the length of the extension, 1 year, you will get a 1 year permission to stay in your old passport which would be valid for the entire period. If, for any reason, you get a new passport during that year they will transfer the balance of your stay to the new passport free of charge and not requiring a new sub-mittal.

If, when you apply, your passport is not valid for the entire 1 year extension they will only grant you permission to stay until the passport expires. It has always been like that. In the past, when you got your new passport, they would stamp your new passport with the balance of the 1 year permission to stay.

That has changed. They will not give you the balance owed but are requiring you to resubmit with all of the paperwork and the new passport, and of course another 1900 baht.

Edited by wayned

Any one with experience of using the appointment system? How far in advance can you make an appointment?

My guess that the system will take longer than the 10 days for the passport.

I got a new passport last year. YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. They will not let you through the front doors without one. All you have to do is fill out the paperwork and have the pictures and everything ready with fee and it took about a week but im sure they have an expedite option to get it faster, but I didnt need my next visa run so I wasnt in a rush. As far as appointment it depends on how busy they are as number of spots limited. For passport related stuff there are only 30-50 spots available per day so if it fills up then you have to wait. I would suggest 2-3days in advance would suffice.

extra... for reporting a birth abroad make an appointment 2 weeks in advance because there are only 5 spots per day.

If you do all the paperwork at the Outreach Program, sponsored by the Embassy, Like I

did in Sept, and you choose to pick up your passport in person, the email you receive

from the Embassy tells you no appt is necessary to pick up your new Passport. This was

the case for me, I was in and out in about 15 minutes......Just FYI.....Don't forget to check

the top of the new application form tha6\t you want 56 or 57 pp in your new passport instead

of the usual 20 something....no additional charge for the extra pages when you renew.

When your new passport comes they will send you an email. They tell you to bring the email with you when you pick it up. That email must be shown to the guard to gain entrance to pickup your new passport, but you don't need a new appointment.

Bottom line.. You need an appointment....

Then I would be paying $196 in 1 years time. I would not put it past the US government to force this upon individuals. Look at what they did with healthcare.

I guess I could always wash it.