New Aussies in Phuket social group to hold Melbourne Cup event at Ao Chalong Yacht Club

webfact

New Aussies in Phuket social group to hold Melbourne Cup event at Ao Chalong Yacht Club
The Phuket News

1383024448_1.jpg
Engraving of the finish line at the Melbourne Cup of 1881.

PHUKET: -- Aussies in Phuket is an informal group of like-minded Phuket-based, Australian expatriates who have banded together to form and arrange different activities for themselves and their families.

Phuket is home to around 2,500 resident Australian nationals, and, according to the group’s mission statement, it is hoped that Aussies in Phuket will provide them with a social atmosphere and network.

Their first official event will be Melbourne Cup Day, to be held on November 5 at the Ao Chalong Yacht Club, which is located just off Chao Fa East Rd, close to Chalong Circle.

First held in 1861, the Melbourne Cup is Australia's major thoroughbred horse race. Marketed as ‘The race that stops a nation’, it is a 3,200 metre race held on the first Tuesday every November.

The entry fee for the Aussies in Phuket event is B1,200, with a discount for members who pay B1,000. The organisers advise attendees to, “Get out your top hat and frills to enjoy the festivities.”

The event starts at 9.30am, and tickets have to be purchased at least three days prior. They can be bought online at Phuket Ticketmaster (tinyurl.com/phuketmelcup).

Payment can also be made at Lady Pie in Cherng Talay or Shades Asia on Kwang Road, or by using the download payment form.

For more information on Aussies in Phuket, visit aussiesinphuket.com

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-aussies-in-phuket-social-group-to-hold-melbourne-cup-event-at-ao-chalong-yacht-club-42601.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-29

Four years ago I was able to watch the Cup on the Australian TV channel, but all the hotels i have stayed in the last 2 years including the one I watched 4 years ago do not have the Aust channel now.

Is the channel still going or maybe it is on a pay channel subscription that the hotels do not have now?

If cannot see it live then it is available online but about 10 minute after the event.

Yawnfest. Nothing more boring than socializing with people from your homeland. I came to Thailand to meet new people.

Don't understand traveling around the world just to drink with fellow countrymen.

Interesting...but i've found , generally, that if you don't appear to be a pompous, boring, arrogant ,selfish, know-it-all that a once a year get together with fellow countrymen is a great happening.

Of course if one is as much a social pariah in ones homeland as one appears to be in Thailand, i can understand the reticence to appear at such an event where the homeland folk would likely snub the person.

So, yes i can sort of see your point...it would be boring indeed if no one wanted to drink with one at such a social event.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I wont be going to any of these arranged get togethers, its painful. I have tried a couple of Melbourne cup parties and all Ive seen is middle aged women in rediculous attire and massive hats cackling like hyenas, also slinging derogetory comments to any man with an Asian partner. Arranging anything is stupid. The best nights I have out are spontaneous, I also wont be attending TV parties or anything else on the 'Phuket Social Calender' (I heard at the last TV gathering someone just sat in the corner muttering "keyboard warriors" for the most part of the night making a goose of himself.)

Melbourne cup has way too much champagne and too many bitter expat women for my liking. I will be watching the Melbourne cup at Owzat Bar

• Like 1

Hardly has anything to do with being pompous etc.

It has to do with personal preference.

I don't want meet other Germans here and talk about Bratwurst is Berlin.

Come-on Hansgruber, I think you would find the cross-cultural social networking experience up lifting. Even as Australian's, from a diverse multi-cultural society, we have embraced the concept of the ‘October German Beer Festival’ on the nations event calendar, as part of allowing ex-German communities to celebrate their identity. We assure you, the occasion will be free from discussing the bratwurst …join us.

Edited by MK1

Hardly has anything to do with being pompous etc.

It has to do with personal preference.

I don't want meet other Germans here and talk about Bratwurst is Berlin.

But australians have a much wider range of subjects they can converse on.smile.png

• Like 1

I wont be going to any of these arranged get togethers, its painful. I have tried a couple of Melbourne cup parties and all Ive seen is middle aged women in rediculous attire and massive hats cackling like hyenas, also slinging derogetory comments to any man with an Asian partner. Arranging anything is stupid. The best nights I have out are spontaneous, I also wont be attending TV parties or anything else on the 'Phuket Social Calender' (I heard at the last TV gathering someone just sat in the corner muttering "keyboard warriors" for the most part of the night making a goose of himself.)

Melbourne cup has way too much champagne and too many bitter expat women for my liking. I will be watching the Melbourne cup at Owzat Bar

Anyone got any tips?

Anyone got any tips?

Pending the VRC final decision as a contender, just for the money, you can not overlook ‘Precedence’ presently a $51 chance outsider, trained by countries renowned veteran trainer’ Bart Cummings’. Otherwise there’s 46 other horses to choose from, since every horse technically has a chance at winning in this race, depending upon of course; the hoses diet of nuts and berries on the day.

Anyone got any tips?

You will sea moon on mount athos

According to 'The Age' Melbourne, see the final 24 contenders to be running in the 2013 Melbourne Cup and 'Tips' from leading racing experts below.

1. Dunaden (barrier 1)

Chris Roots says: “The 2011 Melbourne Cup winner is a strong stayer proven at two miles and drawn well. The only question is will the 58.5 kilograms stop him."

Max Presnell says: “Obviously the weight aspect comes into play with him: up four kilos on his winning Cup handicap in 2011."

2. Green Moon (10)

Roots says: “Last year's Melbourne Cup winner, and enjoys the wide open spaces of Flemington. He has won two group 1s there and three in total. Drawn to get the right run, and can figure again."

Presnell says: “Won last year, and history can repeat itself in the Cup. Blinkers could improve him on recent efforts."

3. Red Cadeaux (23)

Roots says: “A seasoned traveller which was runner-up by the narrowest of margins in the 2011 Melbourne Cup. He has had five goes at two miles for three placings, and is place hope again."

Presnell says: “Having his third attempt. Best effort was close second to Dunaden two years back and goes up three kilos. Weight again the query."

4. Sea Moon (7)

Roots says: “He ran midfield in the Arc de Triomphe last year. Drops in weight from his Herbert Power Handicap win and was a weight-for-age winner in England. Has obvious class, and is an each-way hope."

Presnell says: “Wise guys with Europe insight rate him highly. What he's done here has been impressive. Top hope."

5. Brown Panther (6)

Roots says: “Michael Owen-owned front-running stayer, which has won the Goodwood Cup at two miles this year. He possesses a turn of foot, which will be handy and could be one to throw in trifectas."

Presnell says: “Shows speed back home, indicating he should get a sweet passage from the six gate."

6. Fiorente (5)

Roots says: “Had a great Cup trial in the Turnbull Stakes and Cox Plate, where he worked hard but held on for third. Melbourne Cup runner-up last year could be set to go one better this time."

Presnell says: “Had a perfect campaign. Lugging bit application a query but Damien Oliver should get him to settle. Has speed and staying power. He'll do me."

7. Foreteller (15)

Roots says: “He stormed home late in the Cox Plate, convincing Chris Waller to run him in the Melbourne Cup. A question mark remains on him at two miles, but if ridden quietly, he will be running on."

Presnell says: “Distance a problem but a true weight-for-age horse with a strong finish. Could surprise."

8. Dandino (4)

Roots says: “Has been on an odyssey through Hong Kong, England, the United States before arriving here and running second in the Caulfield Cup. Has the in-form Ryan Moore up top, and is a live chance."

Presnell says: “Second in the Caulfield Cup last start on old standards would have him favourite. Journey doubts."

9. Ethiopia (14)

Roots says: "The Australian Derby winner last year but has had common form since. Was near his best when running fourth in the Lexus Stakes on Saturday. Has only been a winner once in 13 starts. Prefer others."

Presnell says: “Yes, won an Australian Derby – his only success. Efforts over the past year don't inspire."

10. Fawkner (8)

Roots says: "Was placed behind Black Caviar in the autumn. Built into the spring running third in the Turnbull Stakes before winning the Caulfield Cup. A query at 2400m before his win last time. Can overcome doubts again."

Presnell says: “Brilliant in the Caulfield Cup. Can he produce something similar at Flemington? Yes."

11. Mourayan (19)

Roots says: “Sydney Cup winner which finished midfield at three runs this spring. The blinkers come off after he disappointed in the Mackinnon Stakes on Saturday. One which will stay the trip and finish in the first half of the field."

Presnell says: “Poor in the Mackinnon. Blinkers switch could help, but not enough."

12. Seville (9)

Roots says: “Scored in The Metropolitan when, and his Cox Plate was good despite finishing midfield. Looks like he will enjoy getting to two miles. Tough, genuine and classy. Big chance."

Presnell says: “Has staying power and a touch of class, confirmed in The Metrop at Randwick. Hugh Bowman another plus."

13. Super Cool (13)

Roots says: “Has made a habit of peaking on the big days. Last spring was runner-up in the Derby then won the Australian Cup in the autumn. Consistent without winning this spring. But he gets up for the big days."

Presnell says: “Likes Flemington but could find this too hot."

14. Masked Marvel (2)

Roots says: “Won the English St Leger in 2011, and everything he has done in Australia since arriving suggests he will stay all day. He will be running on at the end, and is worthy of an each-way ticket."

Presnell says: “Better than he showed in the Cox Plate. A real two-miler."

15. Mount Athos (22)

Roots says: “Trying to make-up for a luckless fifth in last year's Cup. Won at Chester in a group 3 this year. Reports are he is working well and should be in the finish."

Presnell says: “Unlucky fifth in Cup last year but only win since against common opposition. Set for Cup. Not carrying any of mine."

16. Royal Empire (11)

Roots says: “Godolphin returns for a 15th year still looking for its first Melbourne Cup. His preparation has included two wins then a pair of seconds at 2400m. Has tactical speed and will be thereabouts."

Presnell says: “Up-and-coming type on the right weight. Difficult to assess."

17. Voleuse De Coeurs (21)

Roots says: “She was bought out of the Dermot Weld yard after winning the Irish St Leger by six lengths. Has settled well into Australia and expect forward showing despite poor draw."

Presnell says: “Scored impressively in the Irish St Leger, good form reference, but stable transfer doesn't stimulate confidence."

18. Hawkspur (18)

Roots says: “Looked a star winning the Chelmsford Stakes but has had no luck in his two runs in Melbourne. Won the Queensland Derby in dominant fashion, and could do the same here."

Presnell says: “Disappointed in the Caulfield Cup but is better than that. Expect a bold showing."

19. Simenon (12)

Roots says: “There is no doubt this fellow will stay. He has been over the jumps and was runner-up in the Ascot Gold Cup over 4000m. Third in the Herbert Power Stakes at his only Australian start. Place hope."

Presnell says: “International that did well in the Herbert Power and benefited from the experience. Class?"

20. Ibicenco (17)

Roots says: “He is a winner at two miles and has been in good form, winning first-up over 1700 metres before proving too strong in a slogging finish to the Geelong Cup. Will run the trip, and could fill a place."

Presnell says: “This could be a bit rich."

21. Verema (3)

Roots says: “Promising staying mare which has shown good acceleration to win the Prix de Nieuil and Prix Kergorlay. Prepared by a French master and to be ridden by a Cup-winning jockey. Don't leave her out."

Presnell says: “From the same stable as Americain. Set for this, and should be respected."

22. Dear Demi (16)

Roots says: “In her best form this spring, despite not winning. Third behind It's A Dundeel and Atlantic Jewel in the Underwood, third in the Caulfield Cup and should have won the Mackinnon. Could be the best of the Aussies."

Presnell says: “Thriving on an old-fashioned Cup preparation. With Chris Munce is a chance."

23. Tres Blue (20)

Roots says: “Former French galloper now under Gai Waterhouse. Won a group 3 and then a group 2 both over 2500m at Deauville and was runner-up in the German Derby. Not the worst."

Presnell says: “Latecomer to Waterhouse. Fiorente did well under the same management last year. A four-year-old mare? No."

24. Ruscello (24)

Roots says: “Has been very tough in both his runs in Australia. Just went down at Caulfield over 2000m before defying a desperate field in Lexus on Saturday. Others have more appeal."

Presnell says: “Lexus winner on Saturday but wide gate here negates prospects."

Source:http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horseracing/melbourne-cup-2013-our-experts-rate-the-runners-20131103-2wv1q.html?rand=1383520106050

Edited by MK1

How was the party down south? Up North things went well. SInce we were VIPs we walked the track in the early dawn. At the paddock, Punters caps on, lady hats huge. In what seemed no time at all, people were leaving and the papers of dreams were lying on the ground.....

post-498-0-05367300-1383666307_thumb.jpg