green snake in house

seajae

if you do happen to find a snake in your house, which is very unusual, leave it alone, they usually is a local person who will get it for you, you can get plants that deter them, or a dog, don't panic, as i have said they don't want to be near you believe me.

Thanks for the reply Thongkorn. Spiders everywhere? Guess I will have to overcome my slight arachnophobia issues. Another thing that worries me is that being a blue eyed European my resistances to bites and stings are probably going to be lower than people indigenous to the tropics. (?)

Maybe I just need to man up, although I have always been a bit of a coward when it comes to these matters.

Thanks for the reply Thongkorn. Spiders everywhere? Guess I will have to overcome my slight arachnophobia issues. Another thing that worries me is that being a blue eyed European my resistances to bites and stings are probably going to be lower than people indigenous to the tropics. (?)

Maybe I just need to man up, although I have always been a bit of a coward when it comes to these matters.

I've lived in pretty rural Isaan and there were snakes, scorpions and bugs of all kinds in and out of the house. Even the lizards were aggressive (Tokay), but never got bit and always checked the shoes and floor before putting my bare feet there. I love spiders and there are many in all parts of rural Thailand, however none are deadly. The larger scorpions are okay too, smaller ones not so good.

By far the most poisonous insect is the 'De Kaap' centipede. I'm happy picking up snakes, Tokay and all spiders, but these bad boys...forget it smile.png

I grew up in South Africa and myself and big bro would catch puff adders, ringkals and all kinds of nasty bastards on the way home from school. However I would never suggest that you pick up a snake yourself or anyone else reading this unless you've had some experience.

An orb weaver I caught and released away from the house

DSCN0726.jpg

A Tokay also caught and relocated to a nearby tree - becuase the wife is sh1t scared of them...go figure seems nice to me smile.png

DSCN0260.jpg

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

yes centipede do sting. and again usually by accident. just take extra care. I think i know a bit about snakes, but would never pick any up. I have seen people have to have fingers amputated because of swelling. it cuts of the blood supply and maybe causes gangrene. apart from the excruciating pain. also a lot can spit in your eyes that's another hazard, just leave well alone.

How actually common are snakes, big ass spiders and scorpions in rural areas of Thailand? Is it a common experience to have them running around in your house? The reason I ask is that I am thinking in the near future of some long stays in maybe rural Thailand or Cambodia and although I do have experince with staying in rural areas in the tropics it is not enough to really get an idea of what I would be heading for and the locals are hard to get an answer from that is more than vague. I am from London, I am not supposed to die from a snake bite bah.gif

I don't think there is much chance of dying from a snake bite in Thailand unless you are playing with or provoking snakes and have found a venomous one. We live in a rural area and we see green tree snakes, grass snakes, and rat snakes often. The rat snakes like to be lazy and sleep in stuff we have outside. The tree snakes seem to come in waves after a hatch just after dark. Wife's cousin had a 4 meter long python at their place but they are close to the Ping River and they have chickens. We have only seen one cobra slithering away from us rapidly here but when we lived in Chiang Mai, the Moo Baan there had a cobra lair so we heard of neighbors killing cobras almost every month and found shed skins on our patio often. I go on mountain bike rides in the jungle several times a week but have never seen a snake away from pavement. On roads I have seen many however. Snakes are nothing to worry about as long as you are on the look out for them.

@ T-dog, mostly true about snakes, my biggest fear is the Malaysian pit viper due to it's habbit of laying in wait in leaf litter, you will not see it and you may step on or near it..... w00t.gif ........ when walking on overgrown jungle tracks I carry a long stick to disturb the branches ahead of me warning tree vipers away, also handy to clear the way of spider webs. Snakes are beautiful.

@ T-dog, mostly true about snakes, my biggest fear is the Malaysian pit viper due to it's habbit of laying in wait in leaf litter, you will not see it and you may step on or near it..... w00t.gif ........ when walking on overgrown jungle tracks I carry a long stick to disturb the branches ahead of me warning tree vipers away, also handy to clear the way of spider webs. Snakes are beautiful.

Is this the one? I have luckily never run across one of these. How many of these have you seen? Hopefully these are as rare as the kraits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calloselasma

Is this the one? I have luckily never run across one of these. How many of these have you seen? Hopefully these are as rare as the kraits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calloselasma

I have never seen one, but I know they hide and are camoflaged perfectly for stealth ambush hunting. I think about them everytime i enter thier habitat. Been told they are the reason for the thick rubber boots worn by fruit pickers and rubber tappers.

I have lived in The Jungles In South Thailand, generally Snakes will keep away from you, most people get bitten by accident by standing on them, or putting your hand on them by accident. I walk heavy in the jungle, by that i walk like i am stamping the snake feels the vibration and will go away from you, If in the trees or bushes that's another thing just don't go swinging from trees and bushes. Spiders are diffrent, they are every where, there webs always seem to be face height. The last one i saw had a web 6ft by 10 ft, it was a golden orb, as big as a dinner plate..It was eating a dove at the time. just be careful, shake your boots and check your bed before getting in , The wife has been stung a few times by scorpions. The biggest thing i have found that freaks me out is the leaches, they will walk towards you after the rain, and you never know they are there. apart from that you will have no problem.

Years ago in northern Australia while I was in the army we had an exercise with the US army. One of their servicemen died after being bitten by a non poisonous spider, in the briefing given on poisonous bities we have here they were told that they needed to avoid all snakes and spiders as most were poisonous. This serviceman took it to heart and when he was bitten he went into cardiac arrest through shock, he had convinced himself he was going to die from the bite even though it wasnt deadly. The mind can cause a few problems too it would seem.

One of my wifes labourers says thewt snakes are beautiful too, fried, baked, boiled..........

I live in England, Dont believe all you hear about spiders and snakes. just give them respect.leave them alone. most spiders will not bite, if left alone the same as snakes, but leaches are another thing , they actively seek you out.

In Australia the browns are the ones to watch as they do attack. I have seen a few people chased by them and a lot of people are bitten of a night when walking as these snakes hunt in the dark and people often stand on them. While I would not kill several different snakes browns were always bashed when seen as they are not people friendly.